Spider Hitbox Is Not Being Changed, There Is Nothing To Fix

BattleMechs

338 replies to this topic

#201 Lykaon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

View PostMajukey, on 17 October 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

I put 2 lots of triple SRM6 & some LL love into a powered down spider from near enough point blank earlier. The damn arachnid just scampered off with minimal damage once he woke back up.

Will have to start FRAPSing all spider battles in the future, need me some proof!

Wish I had vid of my Battlemaster firing three alphas into a spider that was walking backwards away from me in the ice caves on frozen city.

The spider was moving in a straight line away from me I was moving in a straight line towards the spider firing.I see 18 medium laser,3 ER large laser and 5-6 seconds of MG fire hit the spider dead center.The spider's armor goes yellow almost everywhere.If I were to venture a guess I would say the MGs registered hits while the lasers bearly if at all.

My ping is almost always under 50.

There is clearly a problem and it is most obviously seen with spiders.

#202 Zarakynel

• PipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 60 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:40 AM

Spiders do have some wonky hit detection, but that is due to how small they are combined with jumpjets. I'm willing to be the jumpjets are the reason HSR goes kinda screwy and leads to weird hit detection. Think about if it jump a little or makes your reticule go through its legs for a second, that will throw your convergence WAYYY off, thus spreading damage. The HSR tries to compensate for both YOUR input into the server AND HIS.

#203 LoveLost85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

View PostTexAss, on 17 October 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

Just tested it with a SRM4 on a kintaro and it happened on the first shot lol

I just made a new one for you, enjoy

yeah, anyone who says spiders aren't bugged in the cheapest of ways is FoS.

#204 Mehlan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationTx

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostLoveLost85, on 22 October 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

yeah, anyone who says spiders aren't bugged in the cheapest of ways is FoS.

I like how you pick a single video, don't research/test and then rant....explain this...http://www.youtube.c...d&v=QQmU7qntUsQ

Edited by Mehlan, 22 October 2013 - 07:31 AM.

#205 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

View PostMehlan, on 22 October 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

I like how you pick a single video, don't research/test and then rant....explain this...http://www.youtube.c...d&v=QQmU7qntUsQ

How many takes did you have to do to get all those Hits to register or do we need to contact Dr. Michio Kaku to help figure it out?

#206 LoveLost85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

lols, even without video I have firsthand experience in shooting, and connecting, 5-7 ac20 rounds to a spider and watching it still run away with a few yellow armor segments. not about picking a single video, not about ranting, more you being in denial is what it now looks like. EDIT: ah yeah, don't forget my first reply in this thread, people who don't think anything is wrong, yeah they are FoS. if the shoe fits

Edited by LoveLost85, 22 October 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#207 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

So, you posted a video where the missiles never hit the same spot twice and then claim that the hit boxes/HSR are fine? The first shot in your video the Spider took NO DAMAGE? If it happens once out of a hundred times, it's still one too many times.

#208 Mehlan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationTx

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

View PostLonestar1771, on 22 October 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

So, you posted a video where the missiles never hit the same spot twice and then claim that the hit boxes/HSR are fine? The first shot in your video the Spider took NO DAMAGE? If it happens once out of a hundred times, it's still one too many times.

Lets see if u can follow this.... hitboxes are static. If was the mech/hitbox it should be consistent... its not.

HSR is dynamic.

Hence the mech is not the issue. I have never said anything about HSR being fine.

#209 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

View PostCorwin Vickers, on 21 October 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

I'm not the ******* who's whining to have a mech nerfed because I can't aim.

Come on, Corwin. No one is asking for the Spider to get "nerfed". All people are asking is for HSR to work like it's intended on all chassis. There's no reason why you should have to intuit whether you need to shoot 15m ahead of a mech with hitscan weapons because of...whatever. It's not a matter of skill. It's not a matter of wanting them to be easy targets. It's a matter of the game functioning properly and consistently. I mean, if an enemy mech were able to turn entirely invisible but you could still hit them if you watched where their lasers came from, would that be okay? No, right? Logically speaking, why is your answer to that question any different?

#210 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

View PostMehlan, on 22 October 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

hitboxes are static. If was the mech/hitbox it should be consistent... its not.

HSR is dynamic.

No ****, Sherlock. What I'm saying is that PGI needs to look at BOTH to determine the cause as all the videos show that they are BOTH broken. If a Spider is not moving and can take more that a few hits in the same spot without taking damage, then the hitboxes are broken. If the Spider is not moving and is hit in multiple locations but some of the shots don't register, then HSR is not working.

BOTH ARE NOT WORKING

#211 Mehlan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationTx

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostLonestar1771, on 22 October 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

No ****, Sherlock. What I'm saying is that PGI needs to look at BOTH to determine the cause as all the videos show that they are BOTH broken. If a Spider is not moving and can take more that a few hits in the same spot without taking damage, then the hitboxes are broken. If the Spider is not moving and is hit in multiple locations but some of the shots don't register, then HSR is not working.

BOTH ARE NOT WORKING
Prove it.... understand this, HSR does not 'turn off & on'. You failure is the assumption it's the hitbox because the mech is standing still. IF it was the hitbox, it would happen each and every time with each and every weapon for each and other player.... let me repeat that for you. IF it was the hitbox, it would happen each and every time with each and every weapon for each and every player. THAT IS NOT HAPPENING. Do you understand that 'Sherlock'? Let me point out to you again, I encountered the SAME BEHAVIOUR with a JENNER, on the testing grounds. So if it's the spider hitbox why did the Jenner display the same?

#212 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostLonestar1771, on 22 October 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

BOTH ARE NOT WORKING

Notice that the only time this has been 'proven' is with SRMs? Maybe we should be looking at the SRMs, considering SRMs are renowned for having spotty hit detection in general. I have yet to see a video demonstrating that this affects lasers or ballistics, and my own limited testing showed no replication using lasers or ballistics.

If the only weapon that's not hitting right is a weapon that is known to have bad hit detection itself, how does that show the Spider is broken?

View PostGallowglas, on 22 October 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

There's no reason why you should have to intuit whether you need to shoot 15m ahead of a mech with hitscan weapons because of...whatever.

MWO does not have hitscan weapons. Not even lasers. This is why pre-HSR, you had to lead fast targets significantly, even with lasers.

Edited by Sable Dove, 22 October 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#213 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

View PostSable Dove, on 22 October 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

MWO does not have hitscan weapons. Not even lasers. This is why pre-HSR, you had to lead fast targets significantly, even with lasers.

They are hit-scan, and have been for at least the last year. Leading targets was because of the server-authoritative hit detection, and the server didn't see the exact same thing you did.

#214 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostSable Dove, on 22 October 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

Notice that the only time this has been 'proven' is with SRMs? Maybe we should be looking at the SRMs, considering SRMs are renowned for having spotty hit detection in general. I have yet to see a video demonstrating that this affects lasers or ballistics, and my own limited testing showed no replication using lasers or ballistics.

If the only weapon that's not hitting right is a weapon that is known to have bad hit detection itself, how does that show the Spider is broken?

Somebody didn't watch all the videos in this thread.

#215 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 22 October 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

If when firing on a Spider (or other mech) and you see the round or beam physically HIT the target in question, and also when your sensor readout of the enemy mech in the upper right hand corner of your screen lights up like a Christmas tree on a component, and when your crosshairs turn red, all indications are that you have HIT your target.

If these indicators are NOT relaying the correct information, then how is a pilot supposed to gauge his aiming..??
If a hit is indeed confirmed, yet the damage is not being applied, then something is wrong, whether it be HSR, or hit boxes, or whatever causing the issue, then an issue does indeed exist.

ANECDOTES: Personally I have used the same exact formula for aiming and shooting lights.

Here is what I have found.
Beam Weapons:
Spread damage across areas of all mechs unless their movement can be countered by aiming (holding beam on specific component, but all receive damage. The Jenner seems to take damage correctly relative to the energy weapon used, so does the Commando, the Raven, the medium mech Cicada, but the Spider does not seem to be affected in the same way, and even stationary Spiders (or slow moving behind a friendly) seem to have a problem receiving the appropriate amount of damage, but I expect an amount damage bug from a beam weapon.

Ballistic or One shot weapons: Here's the kicker!
The ER-PPC used, hit confirmed by sensors to the rear or front CT already yellow or orange, no damage change, and also if indicator is off why no other area affected, arm or leg should have taken damage. Something should have taken damage relative to the weapons listed damage, and also if any area already stripped of armor then damage transfer should be in effect if hit is actually hitting. It gets better! Damage should be concentrated to a degree, and not spread over entire mech (one shot weapon) by itself this is not game breaking, but when used in combination with other weapons the problem is compounded.
A one shot weapon should do all of it's damage in one hit to one component, if it ISN'T going through an arm to get to a CT, or side torso.

The AC-20 used at ranges between 40-50-100-150-etc meters, all indicators show a hit, and same as example above, something needs to take damage, even catching the rare stationary Spider, or the off straight line run away, and result is same as example above with ER-PPC. By itself is not game breaking, but again when used in combination with other weapons, then something needs to be damaged in relation to the weapons damage potential.

Lets say you see a Spider stop behind a friendly for a spilt second, and you fire an AC-20, ER-LL and ER-PPC into the rear CT of a Spider and it runs off either unhurt, or barely scratched... Hmmmm.. Seems odd.

Lets say a Spider is running from friendly, turns directly toward you at 120 meters and you hit him with everything you have, all indicators show hit, but his armor value in terms of color do NOT change... Hmmmm.. seems odd.

Now this doesn't happen every single time with the Spider, BUT here is the problem, are you ready for it..??
There is NO CONSISTENCY.

#1. Sometimes all indicators show a hit and what seems to be very little damage is done. (armor or no armor left)
#2. Sometimes all indicators show the exact same hit, and all damage seems to be done. (armor or no armor left)
#3. Sometimes all indicators show the exact same hit, and ZERO damage seems to be done. (armor or no armor left)
#4. Sometimes all indicators show the exact same hit, and the Spider dies even though he had what looks like full armor.
#5. Sometimes no sensors show hit, only visual confirmation of round hitting, and Spider takes no damage.
#6. Sometimes no sensors show hit, only visual confirmation of round hitting, and Spider dies.

If there is no consistency, then there is no rule, there is no standard on which to approach that issue.
And remember kids, you're probably NOT the only mech on your team firing at the Spider.!!!

This issue is does NOT exist soley with the Spider.
However the frequency of uncertainty as it relates to the damage the Spider takes depending on examples #1 to #6, is quite apparent.

The Jenner, Commando, Raven, Locust, and medium Cicada do not appear to suffer from the same degree of uncertainty, as it relates to damage taken. Personally I have no issues with any other mechs NOT taking damage, taking very little damage, or randomly taking damage to the extent I have seen with the Spider. Using the same formula for shooting all other light mechs, and having FAR greater success with more heavily armored lights and the medium Cicada compared to the Spider, then something is clearly off, and it is NOT my aim.

Is this a Hit Box issue..?? Unknown, and perhaps there is no design flaw with the mech itself.
Is this HSR issue..?? Possible, but we haven't been given any concrete info to look at.

Is there no issue at all..?? More then highly unlikely, the amount of feedback sighting the same issue over, and over, and over, and over, and over again by multitudes of players across the board, and even from those that pilot Spiders says otherwise.

We'll see what happens in the future, but for now just let the Hit Reg roll the dice to see if your weapons do their stated damage at stated ranges to the little devil.

#216 Mehlan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationTx

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

View PostGreen Mamba, on 22 October 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

How many takes did you have to do to get all those Hits to register or do we need to contact Dr. Michio Kaku to help figure it out?

Sorry mamba, I missed this ^ question....

2, first run was like the other posters test... i hit the spider, the cicada and two others then the jenner...which acted wonky
So i dropped right back in and made the same pass again. Can't recall the exact date, but was recorded between 10-16 & 10-18th I believe.

#217 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostMehlan, on 23 October 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

Sorry mamba, I missed this ^ question....

2, first run was like the other posters test... i hit the spider, the cicada and two others then the jenner...which acted wonky
So i dropped right back in and made the same pass again. Can't recall the exact date, but was recorded between 10-16 & 10-18th I believe.

That was Sarcasm btw

#218 Mehlan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationTx

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostGreen Mamba, on 23 October 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

That was Sarcasm btw

Would you have preferred I'd lit you up for it? Particularly since it was a valdi question?

#219 Panzerkampfwagen IV

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 151 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

I can explain.

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE VIDEO

HE posted a video of a spider being shot with SRM2s with no tracking shooting them into the exact same spot.

YOU posted a video of a spider being shot with STREAK SRM2s that do not miss and are locked on.

The point is that you are pretty much REQUIRED to use SSRM2s to reliably hit/kill spiders (which happens oddly enough to be the weapon of choice in your video)

Distort the issue much?

Edited by Asian Tupac, 23 October 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#220 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:10 PM

View PostCaptain Midnight, on 17 October 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

Just dropped in a game with garth and told him to fix spiders, he said there was nothing wrong with them and they weren't going to "fix" anything because nothing is broken. (and he wasn't kidding, the conversation continued throughout the match and he stuck to his guns)

http://s635.photobuc...f040ac.gif.html

screenshot of part of the chat

... really? REALLY? If ever I needed a facepalm emoticon this screenshot is it.

Also an amusing point: Everyone has blamed the scale of the Spider for the issue for ages but I have no problem hitting Locusts I actually hit.

Edited by Victor Morson, 23 October 2013 - 11:13 PM.

57 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 57 guests, 0 anonymous users