Crash Fix For Any Computer (Windows 7 Preferable)

31 replies to this topic

#21 DeerSpotter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

View PostCandun, on 01 November 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

i have a bunch of errors that pop up when i use this,but i did see a performance boost ty much

what kind of errors? in the .bat file or out of it?
please be more specific...

#22 The Black Sun

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:22 AM

- What operating System are you on? [XP? 7? Vista?]
- Are you using Norton?! Kill it. Just kill it and your MWO will probably be fine.
- Right-click MWO, Properties, Compatibility, check the Disable Aero-Box.

^ This is just about the same. Just easier and without Errors and trying to mess with Services.

Just to make my Statement from before more clear here:
Guys, don't mess with Windows Services. Just don't even try to.
It won't change anything about your Performance but make your System extra instable in Addition to the Game.
It might even break other Stuff like purposely pre-set and important System Configurations.
So, at least delete all NET Commands from the File.

What's left is the following...
Killing Explorer.exe won't do much - 1% CPU, max. 80 MB of your RAM.
Killing CTFMON.exe won't do anything on Vista / 7 - it probably doesn't exist. [Newer Office Versions]

Trying to restart CTFMON.exe is even most senseless - it's only started by your outdated Word / Excel if you run those! If you don't start Office Programs, it's not needed at all. And if you do start Office, it's automatically being launched. Sometimes, it just won't shut down after closing Word.

And what's left now is just Norton and Windows Aero.
Disable Norton for MWO [or forever], and check the disable Aero Checkbox for MWO only, and you're set.
I know you Guys don't wanna hear that, but your Norton doesn't do a Thing other than slowing down your PC constantly.

I don't wanna sound disrespectful here Guys, but if you have no Idea about what you're doing, don't do it anyways to break Stuff in pure Hopes of getting maybe 3 FPS more for your Game. This ain't no Magic, and the Stuff running on Windows Systems has its Purposes.

To simplify this even further:
Would you fire your Shotgun at your Car's Engine and expect it to run faster afterwards?
After all, you disabled all unneeded Components of it, right? Think about that for a Sec.

* Either Way, I'm out of here now for good. If you Guys still want to go on with this Stuff, I think I made my Point perfectly clear now. As long as I don't have to fix what you might break, I don't care. Just don't go all like "Windows is sooo instable and shi*** " in a few Months or Weeks, whenever Problems might arise or Game-unrelated Stuff starts to act up or won't work properly anymore. Sometimes, it's just the User.

Edited by The Black Sun, 02 November 2013 - 04:48 AM.

#23 DeerSpotter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 204 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostThe Black Sun, on 02 November 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

- What operating System are you on? [XP? 7? Vista?]
- Are you using Norton?! Kill it. Just kill it and your MWO will probably be fine.
- Right-click MWO, Properties, Compatibility, check the Disable Aero-Box.

^ This is just about the same. Just easier and without Errors and trying to mess with Services.

Just to make my Statement from before more clear here:
Guys, don't mess with Windows Services. Just don't even try to.
It won't change anything about your Performance but make your System extra instable in Addition to the Game.
It might even break other Stuff like purposely pre-set and important System Configurations.
So, at least delete all NET Commands from the File.

What's left is the following...
Killing Explorer.exe won't do much - 1% CPU, max. 80 MB of your RAM.
Killing CTFMON.exe won't do anything on Vista / 7 - it probably doesn't exist. [Newer Office Versions]

Trying to restart CTFMON.exe is even most senseless - it's only started by your outdated Word / Excel if you run those! If you don't start Office Programs, it's not needed at all. And if you do start Office, it's automatically being launched. Sometimes, it just won't shut down after closing Word.

And what's left now is just Norton and Windows Aero.
Disable Norton for MWO [or forever], and check the disable Aero Checkbox for MWO only, and you're set.
I know you Guys don't wanna hear that, but your Norton doesn't do a Thing other than slowing down your PC constantly.

I don't wanna sound disrespectful here Guys, but if you have no Idea about what you're doing, don't do it anyways to break Stuff in pure Hopes of getting maybe 3 FPS more for your Game. This ain't no Magic, and the Stuff running on Windows Systems has its Purposes.

To simplify this even further:
Would you fire your Shotgun at your Car's Engine and expect it to run faster afterwards?
After all, you disabled all unneeded Components of it, right? Think about that for a Sec.

* Either Way, I'm out of here now for good. If you Guys still want to go on with this Stuff, I think I made my Point perfectly clear now. As long as I don't have to fix what you might break, I don't care. Just don't go all like "Windows is sooo instable and shi*** " in a few Months or Weeks, whenever Problems might arise or Game-unrelated Stuff starts to act up or won't work properly anymore. Sometimes, it's just the User.

Hey, i agree with the guy above, dont mess with anything if you have no idea what you're getting into. But Trust me when i tell you that it does make your system more responsive after running this script... i will keep updating op with more options to SSD users and windows 7 / xp users. more options to come.

The Razor software does exactly the same thing, and so does gamebooster. But they take more cpu process to run in the background than this script!

Regards,
Deer.

Edited by DeerSpotter, 02 November 2013 - 08:21 AM.

#24 The Black Sun

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

I was just about to close this Tab, so lucky for you I still had it open. Let me throw in my Objection to this.

1) Just because Software like Gamebooster / Razor may be doing the same, two Wrongs won't make a Right.
2) Software has Ways and Means of determining correct Service Names & System Environments. BAT does not.
3) As I already mentioned yet - I don't know what Win7 you're on, but that .BAT does nothing with ours [Ger / Eng].

All the more, even if it did affect the Services, it's nothing you couldn't achieve easier and with less Risk. After all, Software for Example can determine which Tweaks to use on which Systems safely, which Services better not to turn off. While you roll over everyone's System with this rigid and dumb .BAT, not checking for anything before going around, shooting with the Shotgun.

I'm not saying the Software you mentioned actually does anything better than the .BAT, but as a Programmer I know it sure could check the Environment first to be safe about disabling Stuff. Dangerous if it didn't, so I guess it does.

Short: What works for you will break someone else's System, guaranteed.
And that's why you need to know what you're doing, or at least up-to-date Software to determine if it's safe.

Alright, so now I'm out.
And you Guys, believe me or not, but at least remember what I said if Things go Haywire later.

Edited by The Black Sun, 02 November 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#25 Galil Nain

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

View PostThe Black Sun, on 02 November 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

2) Software has Ways and Means of determining correct Service Names & System Environments. BAT does not.

I beg to differ...

It may not be pretty code to accomplish it, and it's certainly less efficient than using a "proper" programming language, but batch files are certainly capable of interrogating the OS environment and executing variations in code depending on the outcome of those interrogations.

That being said, DeerSpotter (or anyone else who has the time to donate) would probably find it MUCH easier to redo this in something like AutoIt and compile it. Code will be easier to read, follow and maintain, and it wouldn't even need to maintain an open command line window.

#26 Urdasein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:46 PM

I tried this tweak.

My game doesnt crash anymore and i have a performance boost.

BIG THANKS !

Most of the services aren't killed (wrong name, maybe because i have a Frenche version).

Killing the explorer.exe seems to buff my game...

Edited by loupgaroupoilu, 06 November 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#27 Kamelkaze

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 423 posts
  • LocationIm Cockpit seines Urbies!

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

Same to me! Big improvement! :)

#28 DeerSpotter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

sry guys i was out for the last 2 weeks, havent been able to focus on the making this script better.

#29 Stefan Schneider

• PipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 40 posts
  • LocationLow signal

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:31 AM

Dear Mr DeerSpotter,

THanks so much for the script, but the script doesnt really fix the problem of mine, in which after doing the 1.3Gbs patch, it seems that most of the time my game goes blank after pressing the "LAUNCH " button.

But I still can go to the testing ground.

#30 Vorpex13

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:11 PM

I tried this, but it doesn't do anything. My problem is that the game works just fine and I can load the practice area, but when I try to join a game, it goes to the loading screen and when it's done, I get a black screen and I run out of memory, therefore crashing the game.

If any of you have a fix for this, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I have been searching high and low to find a solution with no luck.

Thanks for the help
-Signed, Vorpex

#31 Vorpex13

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostVorpex13, on 20 November 2014 - 01:11 PM, said:

I tried this, but it doesn't do anything. My problem is that the game works just fine and I can load the practice area, but when I try to join a game, it goes to the loading screen and when it's done, I get a black screen and I run out of memory, therefore crashing the game. If any of you have a fix for this, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I have been searching high and low to find a solution with no luck. Thanks for the help -Signed, Vorpex

I have tinkered a bit with the graphics and I have found out that lowering the graphics to almost the lowest allows me to play in a PVP match, but the graphics end up being so damn low, and with my really annoying OCD, it REALLY bothers me. It also bothers me that my HUGE gaming rig can't manage to run this game in PVP mode with even a very tolerant graphics preset.

*sigh* Any help would still greatly be appreciated, seeing I really want to play this game with AT LEAST adequate graphics.

#32 SoggyGorilla

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:35 AM

if you really want to shut everything down while your playing, someone has already made a program that does a better job.

it seems kind of spyware-ish, but i use it and it seems to do what i want it to. also its been around for a long time and razer has a version of it for there products.

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.php

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users