Metal Miniatures (Cataphract, K2 Catapult Featured)

47 replies to this topic

#1 Level1Firebolt

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

Drew inspiration from Sentinel's toys; decided to take the plunge for myself. The miniatures are stainless steel, and have a nice bronze-ish, shiny hue compared to their IWM pewter counterparts. Unlike some of the other plastic miniatures I've seen (while still so much cooler looking than mine, for sure), I like the weighty feel the steel miniatures have- much more similar to the pewter.

DISCLAIMER: I by no means have any proficiency in 3D modeling; nor do I have an inkling of artistic skill. The cataphract is mostly 'as-is' from the game files, while the K2 I put together from the standard catapult + ppc game model files.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by THATONE, 17 October 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#2 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

They look real good for base files and in steel, what kind of printer did you use?

#3 Nikguy

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 38 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

This is sweet! how did you go about fabricating these? CNC machine?

#4 Level1Firebolt

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

I used Shapeways.com to do the actual printing in stainless steel (Sentinel373 also used the same site for his plastic miniatures). I simply had to clean up the models so they could be printed (and in the case of the K2, also create the gun arms). I don't own any kind of 3D printer, and I'm not even sure most 'household' 3D printers can print in materials like steel. I'm rather pleased with the results- the resolution of the steel model obviously will not and can not be as high as the plastic models, but the steel material gives the model a more solid feel.

I should make a MWO Monopoly set :)

Edited by THATONE, 17 October 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#5 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

Looks great! they mention the metal resolution isn't quite as good, but it looks good there! The AMS ball looks round and all.

How much do they weigh?

#6 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

I thought it looked like Shapeways work, they are a great company from what Ive seen. I would like to see it in sterling or even the new brass or bronze (I hope they keep the options around). I also wonder how they would turn out in Alumide?

#7 Skye Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

Will someone please release the files so others can 3d print I mean c'mon we need this stuff lol.

#8 Nikguy

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 38 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

very cool! how much did something like that cost?

#9 Level1Firebolt

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

I don't happen to have a scale, but the K2 weighs just a bit less than that pewter stalker pictured.

I wish I could test out all the materials! Printing out the models in simple white plastic at that size would only be 10 dollars or so. Steel, on the other hand, is pushing 40-50.

As for the files, PGI already gave them to us! With respect to 3D printing, if you're not interested in poses like other model makers have, PGI has already done 95% of the work for you. It's just a matter of cleaning up the model and making changes to your liking prior to printing. If you scroll down on the forums there's a good post describing how to extract what you need.

#10 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostTHATONE, on 17 October 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

I'm rather pleased with the results- the resolution of the steel model obviously will not and can not be as high as the plastic models, but the steel material gives the model a more solid feel.

Personally not a huge fan of metal since it chips easier and is harder to convert, but the weight is nice. I've filled a few plastic models to add some weight. Still they look pretty good next to the Battletech mini's. I was curious about printing metal. Don't think I would use it much, but sounded really interesting.

#11 unFearing

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

New meaning has been established for: "That's so METALLL!" lol. nice nice.

Stalker's my favorite, though i've always questioned the legs in that pose (the one on sarna you modeled it after, i assume), as it would crumple with legs like that heh.

#12 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:12 AM

View PostunFearing, on 17 October 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

New meaning has been established for: "That's so METALLL!" lol. nice nice.

Stalker's my favorite, though i've always questioned the legs in that pose (the one on sarna you modeled it after, i assume), as it would crumple with legs like that heh.

I think that's classic IWM pewter Stalker, and OP shown it alongside his K2 to give us a sense of scale.

#13 Nikguy

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 38 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

You said pgi gave us the 3d files for the mechs? Where can I get a hold of them?

#14 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

View PostNikguy, on 18 October 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

You said pgi gave us the 3d files for the mechs? Where can I get a hold of them?

They're in the game completely without any sort of protection. You just unpack and convert them to the preferred format.

#15 Nikguy

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 38 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostAdridos, on 18 October 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

They're in the game completely without any sort of protection. You just unpack and convert them to the preferred format.

No way? Well I will check that out!
Has anyone ever tried to unpack them, edit them, the repack? Or does the game sense those types of changes?

#16 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostNikguy, on 18 October 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

Has anyone ever tried to unpack them, edit them, the repack? Or does the game sense those types of changes?

None as far as I know. It's clearly stated in the rules that any changes to the files are a ban-able offense and you never know how would that different cockpit, weapon effect or texture work with the game, though.

I personally stick just to extracting the things.

#17 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostAdridos, on 18 October 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

None as far as I know. It's clearly stated in the rules that any changes to the files are a ban-able offense and you never know how would that different cockpit, weapon effect or texture work with the game, though.

I personally stick just to extracting the things.

I remember someone trying that actually (innocently). Though I can't remember the paticular thread, I think it just ends up with a check-sum fail and you need to repair your install of MWO.

#18 Nikguy

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 38 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

huh well good to know

#19 Skye Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostTHATONE, on 17 October 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

I don't happen to have a scale, but the K2 weighs just a bit less than that pewter stalker pictured.

I wish I could test out all the materials! Printing out the models in simple white plastic at that size would only be 10 dollars or so. Steel, on the other hand, is pushing 40-50.

As for the files, PGI already gave them to us! With respect to 3D printing, if you're not interested in poses like other model makers have, PGI has already done 95% of the work for you. It's just a matter of cleaning up the model and making changes to your liking prior to printing. If you scroll down on the forums there's a good post describing how to extract what you need.

Sadly not everyone is experienced with modeling...

#20 Level1Firebolt

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

Not sure if that was a burn directed towards me or not...

If not, I had zero experience modeling before reading the forum post on extracting the 3D models. After reading it, I still have very close to zero experience ;), but it's enough to get printable models. Again, if you're looking for moveable, posable, painted, articulated models you will definitely have to do more work. I've done the bare minimum here.

All I really wanted were some nice desk ornaments of my favorite and most used mechs, and now I have them :D

Edited by THATONE, 19 October 2013 - 12:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users