3 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

Assists in this game can be just as important as kills, and would be nice to display in the player stats section. Granted, K/D shouldn't mean much for certain mechs, and that's alright, so assists and spotting assists should also go up there.

#2 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

i would like an average damage per match stat......also a stat for highest damage ever dealt, another for most kills ever in a game.

#3 FinsT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:34 AM

I agree that assists would be nice to have in our stats.

I disagree about average damage, highest damage, and most kills, though. Here's why:
- average damage may result in wrong judgements whenever people are communicating this stat to each other. Display it, and some groups will inevitably start to demand a screenshot of recruits' stats to see what his average damage is, as one of "measurements" of how "good" of a player the recruit is. However, it's not one of criterias to be used in this manner, because various roles lead to greatly various average damage done for people with very same skill. Like, scouts will never do much, if most of the time they are indeed _scouting_; like, pilots who use mainly (or, only) point-damage weapons - will have much lower average damage (up to twice lower) than pilots who use spread-damage weapons as main (or only) damage dealers (i mean all sorts of missiles, LBX/10 and such). Like, a medium mech built for speed and agility (jump jets), so heavy engine + jets = limited tonnage for weapons, - used as a flanker and a distraction, which when used right is HIGHLY useful for the team, - won't ever do as much as slow assault with like 3-4 times more real firepower which just goes front lines and melts faces (which he can do so much better if that medium is distracting part of enemy forces, of course). The "proper" reason - which is for a pilot to know how much damage he does on average, - is somewhat moot, since we see our damage-done every game and thus we have a good idea already what is our usual amount; thus, there is no real need in this stat, but possible harm to be done. Therefore, i am against having it displayed for us;
- highest damage ever dealt - is a matter of luck as much as of skill. Once in a rare while, a pilot gets a game when chances to put heavy damage to enemies without having any (much) fire in return - are overabundant. Just because enemies and allies moved and acted in such a manner that it happens. But, not every pilot had as good "best luck" game as others did; or, he was in non-best-possible-DPS mech when he had. That's how luck is nearly as important as skill to get "very high". Thus, same reasoning as above applies; it's wrong parameter to estimate a pilot with - but of course many people will use it exactly so. And then, what's the need to have it displayed? Don't we know ourselves what was our best-ever damage? I do, and see no reason why others wouldn't;
- same for most-ever kills (and assists, too; also, LRM boat can score all 12 assists relatively easily, and 10-11 is usual deal - so this would also be quite meaningless). We know it ourselves anyhow, the only thing added by displaying it in our stats - is ability to brag for ourselves, and ability to ask or demand screenshot of it for others. Which imho is not helpful.

If i am mistaken somewhere, then i'd apologize; if i am not, - sorry for opposing your idea, Stingray1234, but it's what i honestly think. Hope it's ok.

#4 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostFinsT, on 19 October 2013 - 01:34 AM, said:

I agree that assists would be nice to have in our stats.

I disagree about average damage, highest damage, and most kills, though. Here's why:
- average damage may result in wrong judgements whenever people are communicating this stat to each other. Display it, and some groups will inevitably start to demand a screenshot of recruits' stats to see what his average damage is, as one of "measurements" of how "good" of a player the recruit is. However, it's not one of criterias to be used in this manner, because various roles lead to greatly various average damage done for people with very same skill. Like, scouts will never do much, if most of the time they are indeed _scouting_; like, pilots who use mainly (or, only) point-damage weapons - will have much lower average damage (up to twice lower) than pilots who use spread-damage weapons as main (or only) damage dealers (i mean all sorts of missiles, LBX/10 and such). Like, a medium mech built for speed and agility (jump jets), so heavy engine + jets = limited tonnage for weapons, - used as a flanker and a distraction, which when used right is HIGHLY useful for the team, - won't ever do as much as slow assault with like 3-4 times more real firepower which just goes front lines and melts faces (which he can do so much better if that medium is distracting part of enemy forces, of course). The "proper" reason - which is for a pilot to know how much damage he does on average, - is somewhat moot, since we see our damage-done every game and thus we have a good idea already what is our usual amount; thus, there is no real need in this stat, but possible harm to be done. Therefore, i am against having it displayed for us;
- highest damage ever dealt - is a matter of luck as much as of skill. Once in a rare while, a pilot gets a game when chances to put heavy damage to enemies without having any (much) fire in return - are overabundant. Just because enemies and allies moved and acted in such a manner that it happens. But, not every pilot had as good "best luck" game as others did; or, he was in non-best-possible-DPS mech when he had. That's how luck is nearly as important as skill to get "very high". Thus, same reasoning as above applies; it's wrong parameter to estimate a pilot with - but of course many people will use it exactly so. And then, what's the need to have it displayed? Don't we know ourselves what was our best-ever damage? I do, and see no reason why others wouldn't;
- same for most-ever kills (and assists, too; also, LRM boat can score all 12 assists relatively easily, and 10-11 is usual deal - so this would also be quite meaningless). We know it ourselves anyhow, the only thing added by displaying it in our stats - is ability to brag for ourselves, and ability to ask or demand screenshot of it for others. Which imho is not helpful.

If i am mistaken somewhere, then i'd apologize; if i am not, - sorry for opposing your idea, Stingray1234, but it's what i honestly think. Hope it's ok.

there's nothing wrong with you opposing my idea, and you're not mistaken. I guess my problem is I tend to overlook things sometimes when I make suggestions. Thanks for pointing these things out. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users