155 replies to this topic

#21 Raging Owlbear

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 59 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Good build guide... I had settled on some very similar load outs.

But... I still just can't get the handle on the Locust. I play Jenners, Cicadas and Spiders almost exclusively, but just can't be as productive in this little bvgger. It feels like leveling these b@stards is the longest Sisyphean slog ever. Is it just me? I'm not sure I can see any advantage with these guys over other lights. I'm going to keep at it, but likely will ditch the other variants as soon as I get 1 to elite (assuming I don't give up sooner).

EDIT: Ok... so I didn't curse at all in this post but I got two words with ****** over them. See if you can guess which. wtf?

Edited by Lt Waldo, 23 October 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#22 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostLt Waldo, on 23 October 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

Good build guide... I had settled on some very similar load outs.

But... I still just can't get the handle on the Locust. I play Jenners, Cicadas and Spiders almost exclusively, but just can't be as productive in this little bvgger. It feels like leveling these b@stards is the longest Sisyphean slog ever. Is it just me? I'm not sure I can see any advantage with these guys over other lights. I'm going to keep at it, but likely will ditch the other variants as soon as I get 1 to elite (assuming I don't give up sooner).

The big problem with the Locust is that the 1V is basically a Spider 5K @ 20 tons, the 3M is a Jenner F @ 20 tons, and the 3S is a Commando 2D @ 20 tons. None of the variants is really unique in hardpoints and as a smaller mech than any of those it will feel like a less effective version of those mechs.

Heck to break it down even more...

The Spider 5K has 10 more tons, Higher max armor, slimmer profile though very slightly taller, 6 possible Jump Jets (for .5 tons each), and identical max speed as the LCT-1V currently. In fact it can do a 4MG+LPL build that is impossible for the Locust.

The Commando 2D has 5 more tons, Higher max armor, is roughly similar in size, has one less missile hard point (that the Locust has troubel using anyways) and otherwise matching numbers/types (though it's energy is in the arm giving it the option of a PPC), has ECM, and is slightly slower than a LCT-3S.

The Jenner F has 15 more tons, more max armor, a very similar profile though it is 'larger' than the Locust, has an extra energy hard point all of which are in the arms, 5 possible jump jets (for .5 tons each), and slightly slower max speed. The only real wins for the Locust are the slight edge in speed and a second AMS.

Nostalgia, a desire to play something not optimal, or just wanting a challenge are the real reasons to play a Locust.

Btw I will add a Narc LCT-3S eventually.

#23 Raging Owlbear

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 59 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

That's a helpful breakdown and puts into hard numbers what I suspected already. I think I can't sell the 1V[P] because the mech bay is locked to it, but I will likely get rid of the variants eventually to get extra bays. It helps to put a cap accel in them, and you know I'll put the speed tweak in there as soon as it is available. At least I'll feel useful. ;)

And I can see how they are much more useful on the tabletop because you can field 2 Locusts for the tonnage "price" of 1 Cicada... but this isn't tabletop and doesn't allow unbalanced teams (in numbers). It'd be cool to have a 200 ton lopsided variant game. You could have 10 locusts vs 3 - 4 heavies or some other crazy combinations.

Edited by Lt Waldo, 23 October 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#24 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

So the Artemis bug still exists on SSRMs?

#25 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

View PostTheStrider, on 25 October 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

Yes, and it makes a huge difference. I bit the bullet and put Artemis on my 3S. I never did this on the Commando because the arms made targeting easy enough.

#26 MizarPanzer

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:52 AM

I love the locust, not because it's a great mech, but because of the excitement knowing that 1 bad move will end you. It is also the ultimate test of skill for any light pilots. If you can do well in a locust, you can torn teams apart in a commando!

#27 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

None of you are forgiven, NONE!
How could you forget the mighty BURNING LOCUST?????

#28 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

I finally added my take on a Narc build... Also I added the LCT-3S build I've been using. Sorry it's taken so long, I've been distracted by other things.

View PostMerchant, on 28 October 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

None of you are forgiven, NONE!
How could you forget the mighty BURNING LOCUST?????

Oh and I forgot this... Though... I just can't bring myself to mount flamers... It'a a drop in replacement for the 5xML 3M.

Edited by Shadey99, 31 October 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#29 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostShadey99, on 31 October 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

Oh and I forgot this... Though... I just can't bring myself to mount flamers... It'a a drop in replacement for the 5xML 3M.

I can understand why but I have to admit, maybe 1-3 of them on some 3M builds could be used to manage heat and run cooler given the status of the Flamer.

#30 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostMerchant, on 31 October 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

I can understand why but I have to admit, maybe 1-3 of them on some 3M builds could be used to manage heat and run cooler given the status of the Flamer.

True, the current bug makes them uniquely useful for that. Though the range still makes it questionable. The blinding effect is not that helpful either in most cases as it is still pretty obvious where you are...

#31 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

LCT-3M with 5 Med. Lasers and 12 DHS + XL180

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6bf545131851646

LCT-1V with 4MGS and a Flamer with a STD180

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b40c0a2a15dc3b8

LCT-3S with 1 Small Laser + 3 SSRM2 with XL190

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...458c0e04c556aa2

Edited by Neput Z34, 31 October 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#32 BlueKnight925

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 4 posts
  • LocationRammer Jammer

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:36 AM

Great guide. I currently am loving the Locust. Glad to see a good post about them. Every Mech has a role and I think people discredit the Locust to soon because its a thinking pilots mech. It requires constant awareness and quick thinking. And you have to make every 0.5 ton work. I have had more fun piloting my Locust's than all my other mechs because I feel like it requires more skill, you can NEVER be lazy in one. And like other people have stated when the tonnage limits take effect the Locust will be crucial to a team.

Key things to remember: shoot from behind cover, MAX POWER!!, cause mayham, and pray you never fall off a cliff and snap your little chicken legs :D

#33 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:44 AM

I just want to know why the worst locust had to be the Phoneix locust. Are they sadists?

#34 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostTheStrider, on 25 October 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

Enjoy it while it lasts. It's quite a useful bug.

#35 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostNRP, on 02 November 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

Enjoy it while it lasts. It's quite a useful bug.

What does it do?

#36 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 02 November 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

What does it do?

The bug is that Artemis does not effect the crit or weigh of Streaks, but it gives them the same bonus (to lock on time) that Artemis otherwise does for SRMs and LRMs.

#37 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Well, tried some Conquest and Assault. I mostly went with distance Locusts because I still don't have the ability to do close fights.

Conquest, is very difficult for a distance Locust. You are a Light but the long range weapons favor sniping a lot, this is a problem because most Lights that work well in Conquest are the close range kind.

1V: Tried the AC/2, just don't like it. I even tried using 2 tons AC/2 ammo, once you run out you are too fragile, at least for me. I do better with the LL but even then it is tough since the Laser is in the CT.

3S: I am still testing out the twin LRM5 version.

3M: I thought about using something similar to the 1V at first, I only saw the PPC Sniper, didn't like it because of the 1 weapon. I decided to try this ERLL version, only down side is if you keep firing the SLs together they build up worse heat than the ERLL. I may switch to 2 MLs or SPLs instead, cooling is near the ability of the PPC version, I get the ERLL for range and would have a couple of close defense weapons.

#38 Arthimus

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

View Post627, on 22 October 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

you're probably right. the more i think about it, the more i come to the conclusion: it doesn't matter.

This is becoming my Zen mech. You just... run it. There's no goal, no need to get kills, no need to get high damage.

Just you and the locust... and the speed.

My marvelous mech.

The feels, they are strong with this one.

#39 Dagada Moor

• PipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 99 posts
  • LocationGainesville, Florida

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:11 AM

Tried the 1ERLL on 1 V. It is okay with advance zoom. Just changed it to 4MGs and 1 med puls.
Tried 3M with 4 med lasers 12 DHS XL190 125 armour, then changed it to 4med lasers, 10DHS, 2 anti missile. 5med lasers over heat it way to much.
Tried 3S with 1 med laser, 3 SRM 2, 10 DHS, 125 armour. It is fun.
Conclusion: Would not run any variant without XL190 until speed tweak. Speed is your only advantage. 3 M is only variant worth keeping. It will make a great last mech when community warfare happens. 169km/hr is obscene. I agree with other posters, it will make u a better pilot. It will frustrate you but if you can elite a 5v spider you should be okay.

#40 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

I was running a -3M with 1 LL, 10 SHS, 190 XL, 2 AMS. It's been a fairly solid hit and run mech, and is a definite change compared to all of my other Locusts (which are generally short ranged). Pop out, shoot, pop back. Rinse. Repeat.
I may go and swap my -1V over to it (with 4 MGs), as I really like the range it gives you. It'll mean stripping a lot of armor, but I've found that armor just isn't that crucial on a Locust.

I've been running my -3S as 4 SSRMs, SL, 10 SHS, 190 XL. It has squat for armor, but the 4 SSRMs deliver a nice drive-by punch. And on the occasion that you catch someone alone or distracted, circling and chainfiring those streaks is a wicked way to take someone down. Just don't let someone focus on you - the light armor means you don't last long.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users