Targeting Distance And Mech Size

4 replies to this topic

#1 AidenDark

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

I love the concept of forward scouting but currently with how far out you can lock on and target any mech in the game, which far as I can tell sits at, if you can target them they can target you, it makes trying to scout and spot from say an elevated or forward position with anything that lacks ECM pointless. This leaves a whole slew of light mechs that can't fill the entire role they're supposed to be used in.

What I propose is actual mech size/tonnage affecting targeting. Lights would be hardest to see at range and assaults would sit around where targeting is now. Taller the profile on the mech the easier to spot essentially. If someone keeps a sharp eye they could still eyeball it (This isn't World of Tanks) but they'd have to get closer for a lock. BAP and any later additions such as the targeting computer could increase acquisition distance but it would be something dedicated light hunters, scouts and possibly missile boats would use most.

Good idea? Bad idea? Thoughts?

#2 Kazairl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

I have always felt that lights should have better sensors. But I was told that that is why mechs like the RVN-3L can get 4 module slots. I think all sensors, scouting, ECM and missile locks need a fresh look. I think mechs that are setup to scout and spot should be able to lock more than one target.

Untill they actually put sensors/radar in to the game, I don't think size should effect intel.

Edited by Kazairl, 18 October 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#3 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

I tend to use BAP, Sensor Range and Target Info Gathering on many of my builds across the four classes, but you are talking about just being able to see the enemy at range, without getting locks right?

I guess it could be possible to set that up as you describe, but mechs showing up at those ranges also partly depends on hardware and graphics settings AFAIK; not to mention most maps are just big enough where I'm not sure this would make enough of a difference, maybe if maps are bigger or have less cover? Again, I'm not sure.

#4 AidenDark

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

View PostPraetor Shepard, on 18 October 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

I tend to use BAP, Sensor Range and Target Info Gathering on many of my builds across the four classes, but you are talking about just being able to see the enemy at range, without getting locks right?

I'm just thinking smaller profiled mechs should have to be closer to you before you can get a target lock yes, Of course trees and such counting as breaking line of sight and decreasing target lock range would help along what I'm thinking but I'm fairly certain they're just eye candy right now.

#5 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

I think Locusts can especially benefit from this if it can be done; the key is knowing what can technically be done with the cry engine to differentiate mech silhouettes at extended range.

Edit:

And I figure actual Targeting would be a matter of implementing the proper coding for the different mech sizes, similar to how the speed penalties from climbing up inclines was setup for different mechs sizes.

Edited by Praetor Shepard, 18 October 2013 - 07:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users