The Phoenix Specials..

19 replies to this topic

#1 RavenGenesis

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

Is it me or is the regular variants way better in terms of weapon layouts...

Going over all the variants that came in the package, I'm actually more impressed by the standard ones than the P ones...

but it does make sense, since they never do P2W mechs :)

#2 New Day

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

View PostRavenGenesis, on 15 October 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

Going over all the variants that came in the package, I'm actually more impressed by the standard ones than the P ones...

The standard Locust (and the other variants) and Shadowhawk are ****.

#3 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

That's because the Phoenix variants are based off the original ones. Several of them are hundreds of years old in BT cannon.

#4 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

Initial loadouts? Yeah, not a surprise since the variants use Lostech.

Hardpoint layouts? They all seem to have good and bad sides, and they're all different enough to be, well, different, so that's good.

#5 RavenGenesis

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

well i've really enjoyed tinkering with the hardpoints, but i love how it now does show on the mech itself, especially a triple AC2 showing on the shadow hawk :)

couldn't imagine dropping and having someone look over your shoulder and see you carrying that around your shoulder

#6 KnightedChaos

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

I think my favourite Shadowhawk is the 2D2, but I think most the variants are well balanced each offers something unique

#7 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

The Founders and Phoenix mechs are based off the Prime variant. For instance, if you go to sarna.net and look at the Hunchback, you'll see the picture and load out of the 4G and below it all the other variants. So the Founders Hunchback is the 4G. Reason why the Locust Phoenix version is the 1V.

Edited by Ngamok, 16 October 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#8 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

I think the PP Battlemaster will be pretty good.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

I was also more pleased with the non-phoenix standard variants.

#10 VIPER2207

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 565 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

View Postkevin roshak, on 16 October 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

I think the PP Battlemaster will be pretty good.

the BLR-1G is the worst of the three variants, that's a fact. Torso twist is at 60°, that's not even enough to use torso-twisiting for protecting your center-torso. even with double basic skills, it only has 72°, what's still less than the other 2 variants have by default... that thing is a fail, i will never use it again after elite

edit: typo

Edited by VIPER2207, 16 October 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#11 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:34 PM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 15 October 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

That's because the Phoenix variants are based off the original ones. Several of them are hundreds of years old in BT cannon.

Which has nothing to do with whether or not their weapon loadouts are advantageous for the game.

#12 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:29 AM

After seeing torso twist ratios and such, I'm even happier not to have gone Phoenix.

Besides the Locust (that beside fun, has a really limited survivability), the P variants are either the poorest in terms of hardpoints or limited agility/torso twist.

-Locust Phoenix: imho the all energy Locust can be fairly superior than this one (yet I don't want to pay 20$ for a mech I'll never use)
-Shadow Hawk: hands down I prefer the 2D2, better hardpoint options, can be a good srm brawler and thanks to JJs and shape, probably it's even better than what kintaroes can do
-Thunderbolt: 9SE has jjs, 5SS is an all energy setup that doesn't have to waste many tons for ballistics; the P variant isn't the worst in this case though
-Battlemaster: to balance the huge hardpoint number on the 1G this variant has the lesser torso twist making it like any non-3F stalker. 1D and 1S seem to be better brawlers.

So far I regret only to miss the BLR, but I'm not in a hurry, I'll pick it up in January and jiggle around with the SHD the next month hoping its height won't be a big downside.

#13 Mack1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 596 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:53 AM

If you look on Sarna the battlemaster premium is 80 degrees torso twist yet we got 60

Its a nerf to stop you playing them and earning the C-Bills bonus, a fine kick in the balls for us financial backers, one that has cemented my view that it will be the last of my money heading their way.

Edited by Mack1, 17 October 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#14 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:32 AM

View PostMack1, on 17 October 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

If you look on Sarna the Shadow Hawk Premium is 55 Tons yet the Pheonix one is 4.5 tons lighter
If you look on Sarna the battlemaster premium is 80 degrees torso twist yet we got 60

Its a nerf to stop you playing them and earning the C-Bills bonus, a fine kick in the balls for us financial backers, one that has cemented my view that it will be the last of my money heading their way.

My Shadowhawk, and both its variants, clocked in at 55 tons. What happened to yours?

Having just checked the Sarna Battlemaster page, it doesn't list torso twist. Got the source?

Mack, honestly, all I ever see or hear you do these days, related to MWO, is complain. Maybe stick to Let's Plays?

#15 Mack1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 596 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:57 AM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 17 October 2013 - 05:32 AM, said:

My Shadowhawk, and both its variants, clocked in at 55 tons. What happened to yours?

Having just checked the Sarna Battlemaster page, it doesn't list torso twist. Got the source?

Mack, honestly, all I ever see or hear you do these days, related to MWO, is complain. Maybe stick to Let's Plays?

My error on the Shadowhawk and I have retraced that statement an apologise.

As for all my other gripes with this package they stick, such as the removal of all DHS and the 60 degree torso twist on ONLY the "Premium BM"

I complain when I see something worth complaining about which is why out of all my 30 or 40 videos only about 5 are actual complaints.

Edited by Mack1, 17 October 2013 - 06:04 AM.

#16 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

View PostMack1, on 17 October 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

My error on the Shadowhawk and I have retraced that statement an apologise.

As for all my other gripes with this package they stick, such as the removal of all DHS and the 60 degree torso twist on ONLY the "Premium BM"

I complain when I see something worth complaining about which is why out of all my 30 or 40 videos only about 5 are actual complaints.

The (P) variants never had DHS, as they were designed when Lostech was, well, lost. Some of the other variants have DHS (one of the Shadowhawks and one of the Thunderbolts. Heck, the Shadowhak has a 275XL in it)

The SHD-2H is a fine mech, and I think we'll see a lot of them. I think all 3 variants are strong and have a role.

The TDR-5S is the only balistic Thunderbolt, so that will keep it in play.

The BLR-1G has a good all around loadout, and folks still brawl in other stalkers due to also having arms. I'm still a little surprised it's not at least 70 degrees, but it's workable, and that missile slot can be valuable in a brawl for managing heat. Keep in mind that, that it's a rare combination of hardpoints (10 including 2 Balistic), armor, and speed, so something had to give for balance. If it was also super twisty, it'd make Victors obsolite.

#17 Gable Braver

Rookie

• Overlord
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

Eh, for my 2 C-bills, I think the Phoenix package is great! I am an old school Battletech fan who played from the very early days of tabletop and the original computer game where you could send off and get a miniature if you beat the game and got the code at the end.

I like, and appreciate, the different mechs - I feel that if they were all optimized then we'd only need one from each weight class. More mechs means more choices for people who prefer one type of weapon vs another, or one particular layout to another.

Heck, I want to see more old Mechs. The Archer, the Rifleman, the Warhammer, the ORIGINAL Battlemaster and Wolverine that actually held their weapons in hands. I would love to see functionality for using mecha hands to complete goals or manipulate the environment. Unarmed attacks and the old melee mechs (Hatchetman!) are all still a possibility.

There's just way too much potential in this game to be bitchin' about anything, really. If it's not your cup of tea then there are lots of games out there to play. Me, I love it and they will continue to get their share of my disposable income so long as they continue to provide a product I want to buy.

#18 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostRavenGenesis, on 15 October 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

Heh, well basically, like the founders the phoenix mechs are the worse/bad variants just with a bonus and a skin.

edit: only founder that is best is the Jenner (debatable). This batch the light sucks balls.

Edited by Johnny Reb, 18 October 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#19 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

View PostRavenGenesis, on 15 October 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

well i've really enjoyed tinkering with the hardpoints, but i love how it now does show on the mech itself, especially a triple AC2 showing on the shadow hawk :)

couldn't imagine dropping and having someone look over your shoulder and see you carrying that around your shoulder

LOL, I made this tongue in cheek theorycraft troll loadout the other day. I am too broke to go run it in game for LULz.

http://mwomercs.com/...ow-you-want-to/

#20 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

As for the other variants, dunno. I only played one locust for like 3 matches, and havent messed with my hawks yet. But I freegin love all three Tbolts. I came up with some loadouts that jive well with me. My second match in the pheonix Tbolt on tourmaline i got 650 dmg 2 kills and 6 assist.

I tend to load out ALL my chassis variants different from one another though. Rather then try to shoehorn the same {Scrap} onto everty mech I own, I make them all different, try to set them up using the unique aspects of the mech, try to alter the playstyle/role of the different variants. For instance, my Tbolt-9 has the JJ, so i made it a faster striker then the pheonix version, which is more a stout mid-range firesupport/sort of brawler. my tbolt-5 is a mid/long range support mech. Not so great and traversing the map, but has LRM for long range pecking and has lasers for mid range punch.

Havent run my battlemasters much yet. Hardly at all in fact, only barely messed with loadouts on them. Having to much fun on my "assault" t-bolts(see sarna if that makes no sense)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users