How Mwo Looks To Completely-New Players.

5 replies to this topic

#1 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

First impressions are everything, and I'm curious as to how MWO ACTUALLY looks to new players, as I think it could be a bit confusing. This was all sparked by watching my dad, play MWO for the first time.

[we're talking moderate-video-game proficiency here, not "wat is internet" status]

1.) [Auto-Detect: No Signal]: Okay, when I first joined in, I was immensely confused by these screens in the cockpit. That was, however, about a year ago, and I've now got a pretty good handle on all things MWO, but to new players I'd imagine this is incredibly confusing.

My first reaction was that I skipped choosing some sort of Computer Module in my loadout, and this was the reason these screens were showing [No-Signal] etc. etc... I would think it a rather embarrassing look from PGI to new players. Then again, I have no knowledge if anything at all is going on these screens, or if they are merely left blank because all relevant info is displayed in the virtual HUD we're given.

2.) When UI2.0 comes. I would think it extremely annoying for recently joining players (those who may not even know about new patches etc..) to have UI2.0 slapped on them, while they are just getting to learn the current one. Could discourage some players.

3.) Tutorials: No, those of us proficient in the MW universe, and those who have been playing the game for a while don't need them, but I would think new players would. I would have rather been prepared going into my first MWO match with at least some semblance of a basic all-encompassing tutorial rather than dieing for 8+ matches in a row before figuring things out.

4.) Purchasing new mechs. As I watched my father die game after game, he decided to buy a new mech. Something both he and I (when first starting out) were confused about was how to buy a new mech. The prices listed on each (to both of us, again at different times) were interpreted as dual-currency, and that you needed to have BOTH CB and MC to buy a new mech. Because of this assumption, the "Buy MC" and "Buy CB" buttons lead us to assume that we would be purchasing the currency here, not the mechs.

Just some thoughts on how it has looked to myself (new player a year ago), and someone else.

Overall, I guess this is based on my assumption that, in general, PGI should want to attract AND KEEP new players, who will then (hopefully) decide to break out their wallets a bit, and give PGI some $$$ to continue developing this game.
(this is how my understanding of online PvP only games with real-world economy is)

The first impression MWO made on me was a rather confusing one (albeit a while ago) and I'd hope that sometime in the near future, in the effort of attracting more players, this won't be the case. I'm curious to how it actually is now, for new players (people who weren't familiar with MW in the slightest beforehand, much like myself)

#2 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

I had the same problem when buying my first Mech. I also thought it takes both currencies.

#3 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

On the UI2.0 item. It needs to happen. I will give you a perfect example of why. Currently the UI1.5 takes about 30 seconds to load 33 mechs for me. I think Sean Lang mentioned in one of his podcasts that his 96 Mechs takes over a minute to load each time. As you get more mechs this becomes quite annoying. This happens after every single match.

#4 poohead

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

Seems like we need a tutorial for the UI! ;)

This is really important though... I think we forget about how complex it can be *outside* the actual gameplay. It would be a shame to lose people before they even got a chance to play properly...

#5 Zarlaren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationRoseburg

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

My first time in was a Trial Atlas DDC and didn't know how to pilot the thing and kept running into walls and such when no turorials was in and manages to get killed running into a wall being shot at and my aim was so bad the only thing I can hit was the walls. I took a break from the game and came back and being gone for a few months does hinder your skills some but I have to relearn torso twists and aiming.

Edited by Zarla, 06 November 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#6 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostZarla, on 06 November 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

My first time in was a Trial Atlas DDC and didn't know how to pilot the thing and kept running into walls and such when no turorials was in and manages to get killed running into a wall being shot at and my aim was so bad the only thing I can hit was the walls. I took a break from the game and came back and being gone for a few months does hinder your skills some but I have to relearn torso twists and aiming.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad there's at least some sort of a trial now, I just think it could be expanded upon, and probably will be, but (much like the next thing I mentioned about the UI), I think it should've been done already, and been available upon launch. As a player new to BT and MW (albeit playing the MW3 demo a few times), but not new to mech games, I was able to understand some things right from the getgo, but I'd imagine there's a large chunk of players that will find some things hard to grasp without proper instruction.

I didn't even know that my Cent had missile doors until someone pointed it out. Call me an nub, but unless I'm blind, there really is no indicator for some of this small stuff.

View PostMacbrea, on 06 November 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

On the UI2.0 item. It needs to happen. I will give you a perfect example of why. Currently the UI1.5 takes about 30 seconds to load 33 mechs for me. I think Sean Lang mentioned in one of his podcasts that his 96 Mechs takes over a minute to load each time. As you get more mechs this becomes quite annoying. This happens after every single match.

Ah yeah, I know UI 2 needs to happen, not complaining about it, looking forward to (hopefully) enjoying it! I just strongly think it should've been implemented with the release, not after the fact. From what I've gathered on here, many of us wouldn't have minded the release being pushed back if it meant the inclusion of proper features for new players.

Just to clarify, not trying to have just another "complaining" thread here, just genuinely concerned that the learning curve for MWO is a rather steep one for new players. And (as i mentioned before) new players with wallets = $$$ to PGI = more development on the game most of us already love.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users