The Hardest Assault Or Mech In General To Pilot Well?

47 replies to this topic

#41 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

View Postaniviron, on 22 October 2013 - 05:31 AM, said:

I'm actually inclined to agree, at least to an extent. The COM-2D is an excellent mech, I'd put it up there with the Jenners and 3L as among the best. I actually rather like the other variants too, though I will confess that I wouldn't drive any of them right now since they rely so heavily on SRMs not being bad.

The 2D is actually the one most heavily reliant on SRMs, though people tend to use SSRMs instead. Both the 1D and 3A (2M+2E each) can be used with SRMs or SSRMs as backup weapons, or as my 3A: With dual LLs and no missiles. The 1B works well with either 1LL+2ML or 3MPL without any missiles.

At least with broken hitreg and given how machineguns work, I don't think the SDR-5K is that bad. I can get 3-400 damage/drop in it, easy. If they ever get around to fixing spiders, it'll be awful though.

It's not as bad as the 5V, but it's pretty bad all things considered. The LCT-1V is arguably worse, but that puts the 5K firmly in second-worst or third-worst chassis variants in the game, so it's small consolation either way.

I'd actually also argue that the RVN-2X is a lot worse than you'd think; what with being a hardcore light pilot, you might actually get through my essay on it here: http://mwomercs.com/...-rvn-24x-buffs/ ;] Given how easy it is to leg, how slow it still is, and the fact that the SRMs don't do much these days, I'd actually say the Death's Knell is just straight up better than the RVN-2X, let alone any of the Jenners.

Interesting post, and I agree with the majority of what you're saying in it. The 2X and 4X sure could use some love (as could the LCT-1V and SDR-5V and 5K).

In my list above, I looked at the chassis more than the variants - the RVN-3L, for instance, is up there with the best variants in the light class, as is the SDR-5D (both in part due to their ECM, but also because they have the best hard points and hard point placement of the variants); but as a chassis, both the RVN and the SDR are strictly worse than the COM or JR7 - simply because these two chassis have no real stinker variants.

Edited by stjobe, 22 October 2013 - 05:55 AM.

#42 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:07 AM

View Poststjobe, on 22 October 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

The 2D is actually the one most heavily reliant on SRMs, though people tend to use SSRMs instead. Both the 1D and 3A (2M+2E each) can be used with SRMs or SSRMs as backup weapons, or as my 3A: With dual LLs and no missiles. The 1B works well with either 1LL+2ML or 3MPL without any missiles.

Interesting post, and I agree with the majority of what you're saying in it. The 2X and 4X sure could use some love (as could the LCT-1V and SDR-5V and 5K).

In my list above, I looked at the chassis more than the variants - the RVN-3L, for instance, is up there with the best variants in the light class, as is the SDR-5D (both in part due to their ECM, but also because they have the best hard points and hard point placement of the variants); but as a chassis, both the RVN and the SDR are strictly worse than the COM or JR7 - simply because these two chassis have no real stinker variants.

Most of my experience in a 2D was with streaks, I will admit; I no longer have any Commandos, but I did drop pretty heavily in the 2D with SRMs when it was a trial a few months ago, and actually did very well with it. Again, I doubt I'd enjoy it much right now, but if SRMs are fixed a week from today, I would definitely rate the 2D as a strong 'buy.' I did a lot of mechlabbing on Smurfy after making my previous post since I hadn't given the COMs a look since the engine buff. Have you been using the 240s at all?

I'm not quite sure I agree with rating based on how many duds a variant has; after all, most people just sell the bad ones off later, though I have held onto my RVN 2+4Xs.

The analysis of Raven hitboxes in the post I linked though is actually also fairly applicable to the 3L; though I don't think it needs a buff, it's been hard times of late for even 3Ls when compared to Jenners, the 5D, or the 2D. There are far too many people roaming around with BAP + 3-5 SSRM2, and while no light will survive that for long, most will last longer than the 3L. I've actually taken to just avoiding light combat altogether in mine and blanketing the assault blob with ECM, and have thus swapped out the streaks for standard SRMs in a support role.

At least we can agree that the Jenners certainly have it good. :]

#43 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

View Postaniviron, on 22 October 2013 - 06:07 AM, said:

Have you been using the 240s at all?

No, not yet. I've been too busy with the Phoenix 'mechs.

I'm not quite sure I agree with rating based on how many duds a variant has; after all, most people just sell the bad ones off later, though I have held onto my RVN 2+4Xs.

I never saw the point of selling off bad variants myself; I just let them collect dust in a 300MC mechbay until they inevitably get buffed.

The analysis of Raven hitboxes in the post I linked though is actually also fairly applicable to the 3L; though I don't think it needs a buff, it's been hard times of late for even 3Ls when compared to Jenners, the 5D, or the 2D. There are far too many people roaming around with BAP + 3-5 SSRM2, and while no light will survive that for long, most will last longer than the 3L. I've actually taken to just avoiding light combat altogether in mine and blanketing the assault blob with ECM, and have thus swapped out the streaks for standard SRMs in a support role.

I wouldn't say the 3L has lower survivability vs SSRMs than the lighter lights; SSRM survivability is simply a factor of armour (and thus weight), so the 3L should be more survivable than the LCT, the COM, and the SDR in that regard. In fact, I'd wager any discrepancies are purely observational bias, since hitbox size doesn't matter, 3d shape doesn't matter, speed doesn't matter; all that matters is armour.

Then again, I don't own any Ravens, so I might be wrong. It has happened before :D

At least we can agree that the Jenners certainly have it good. :]

They have always been the best lights; they were overshadowed briefly by the bugged SSRM+ECM combo of the 3L, but once both SSRMs and ECM were dialled back they retook their crown. People are fond of saying the Cicada is a honorary light, but I say it's the Jenner who is a honorary medium. Best of both worlds.

#44 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

The Commando isn't that hard, but it isn't that easy either. The Spider for the most part may be less offense oriented than the Commando, but defensively through hitboxes/HSR/scale where it is least more agile enough to spread damage than the Commando. I've had the "look ma no arms" effect a lot, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not really complaining about the really nice arm articulation though.

I'm grinding through them and have found it painful and refreshing. The Commando has it mostly balanced between variants like the Jenner... I think there's some irony that any other released lights have more massive flaws in the other variants than the primary goto variant.

Edited by Deathlike, 22 October 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#45 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

Stalkers except the 3F. Awesomes do pretty good if you know how to play. Have a guildmate who actually knows how to play them and kicks butt, 500+ damage a match unless we get really rolled. Are they somewhat wide, sure but if you can aim, any mech is hittable, not just the Awesome. I can land hits on an Awesome at any range just as easily as an Atlas even on the CT.

#46 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostButane9000, on 20 October 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

Hardest Assault chassis is indeed the Awesome.

Hardest in general is tough. Awesome is definitely a contender but so are the Dragon, Trebuchet and Commando. Those 3 are the top in their weight class for uselessness though the Locust might usurp the Commando. We'll see in a few weeks. Other notable choices are the Cicada, Blackjack and Hunchback (note: All mediums).

Hunchback is a very solid mech in spite of all the nerfs to it (4SP got hit by SRM nerfs, 4H got hit by Gauss nerf, 4P got randomly nerfed by ghost heat). It performs solidly when piloted smartly, similar to a Shadow Hawk.

I would have to go with Locust, Blackjack, Trebuchet, Kintaro, Quickdraw, Dragon, Awesome. The mediums are just awkward because a) PGI hates mediums and ;) 12v12 means you die instantly if you walk around the wrong corner. Locusts are just so easy to kill. And the others have bad hitboxes and weapon layouts that don't really work after all the nerfs PGI keeps making (SRMs are poop a lot of the time, Gauss RIP, running stock Awesome loadout with 3 PPCs RIP)

#47 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

I doubt anyone will mention it, but in some cases you have to be a pretty good pilot to do well in a Stalker. They suffer from limited torso pitch and yaw (up/down, left/right) and are generally pretty clunky. When fighting a lighter Mech that can out-maneuver you, you need to act quickly or you'll be dead from losing your back torsos.

#48 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

In some ways I would say the Awesome. What I like about the Awesome is the way that it encourages me to be braver than I should be. Let me explain. The Awesome really does look the part and feels the part; basically it wants you to believe that it's invincible. The snag is the Armour; it's s**t. True the Awesome is supposed to be a support Mech, trouble is it doesn't feel like one; if anything it feels like a fast Atlas.

Awesome as a Sniper
One of the best loadouts I have seen and copied for the Awesome is 3 x PPC; normally arranged as 2 x on mouse LHB and 1 x on Num pad 2. Again it's not really a true Sniper because they are PPC's and not ERPPC's, all the same you can use this setup with great effect in conjunction with the 2 x or 4 x (if you have the module) Zoom features.

Staying Alive
The
only way to stay alive in an Awesome is to not get drawn into a Brawl. Awesome's don't Brawl; keep a reasonable distance and use your PPC's. Oh and don't forget the AMS.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users