3 replies to this topic

#1 Shrike ski

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 44 posts
  • LocationColumbus Ohio

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

1. Eventually would like to see a eras option, ie 3025 tech, 3050 (clan invasion), 3055, and 3060 with the appropriate available techs and mechs.

2. Limit mechs to appropriate factions. Raven, Catapult, and Cataphract are all very rare outside house Laio. this would make some "useless" mechs come into their own.

3. weapon hit boxes, this one is for game play balance and continuity with the cannon of the Battletech universe and I know most of the meta gamers are not going to support this one, random hit locations is how you fix a lot of the issues that people are complaining about, the targeting systems on mechs are just not that great because the countermeasures are on par with the targeting systems, currently I can core a 100% atlas in about 10-15 seconds in my cataphract. this is crazy. this would also mean that armour could be reduced to its proper levels. this will help with the light mech invulnerability issues (I don't care what people think, it is an issue when you hit a spider 3 times with an ac20 in the chest and it still keeps coming and it still has chest armour remaining)

4. minimum ranges. in battletech you can still hit a target that is within your minimum range, it is just harder to do.

5. maximum ranges. weapon shots that are outside the "max" range 1 should do less damage 2. drop a little more than it currently does.

6. mechs either should get a weapons lock alert or not get a warning about incoming missiles.

7. ECM trumps streak SRMs

8. different ammo types for LRMs such as thunder and swarm. narc beacon should transmit location of affected mech unless under ecm umbrella.

9. ecm should counter all forms of communication with others. also no sitreps from the "dead".

10. dumping ammo should be possible.

11. Jammed weapons should remain jammed. but lower the frequency of jams. or increase the time it takes to clear a jam (made somewhat random say 5-10 seconds.

12. Ammo explosions from heat are part of the battletech universe should be implemented as well.

#2 FinsT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

A whole list of 'em! Nice! :D Here's what i think about 'em suggestions you did:

1. Could be nice, but that's lotsa work for devs. Possibly more work than most or even any of things i'd like to see in the game soon...

2. Well, if i am not mistaken, this sort of thing - in milder form, - is expected to come with faction warfare; certain 'mech will be available with large discount for a faction, others - with large overprice. To remove any 'mech completely from a player's grasp (no matter his faction affiliation) - would actually mean to cut game's content. Which i guess devs are not eager to do. And also, may be one day _you_ will want a mech which is highly "untypical" for your faction (perhaps with very respectable, lore-wise, reason)? If you just _can't_ get it, - then it's "sad panda". But, if you can get it, but it's simply darn expensive, - it becomes a feature, a point to be proud of, etc.

3. I did some testing; it seems to me it's not hitboxes (at least spider in testing grounds dies alright with AC/20 hits, just like it should - in two hits front CT). It seems to me it's something related to movement. May be some sort of internal error when calculating spiders' positioning when they move. Dunno. Anyhows, yes, this is still a problem i see too. Needs fixin'. Hope they are doing it. As for coring Atlas in 10-15 seconds in cataphract - but man, why not? Even humble (for Cata) 3xAC5 setup would do 15 damage every 1.5 seconds - which translates to 150 damage in 15 seconds. Why exactly this shouldn't be able to core an Atlas? Can't see a problem here - because Atlas can have comparable (if not better) weaponry and core your Cata faster than you'd be able to core him. It just that oh so many Atlas pilots are not really using full potential of Atlas; so many of new pilots and poor pilots are using it that it "seems" Atlases are weakier than they actually are. But that's entirely different problem - and one which probably have no clear solution for... %)

4. PPCs? Yes, i'd make those somehow able to hit things within minimum range. Perhaps decreased damage or something. But, LRMs? No thanks. Those are deadly in near their minimum range as it is. Allow any possibility to hit within minimum range, and you have 'em OP: 1st, no time whatsoever for the target to hide, 2nd, less/little time for AMS to shoot LRMs down.

5. Can't get what you mean. We already have "range" and "max range" for weaps. Within "range", full damage is done. Beyond that but within "max range", reduced damage is done (drops with distance i suppose). Beyond max range - 0. And, i have a feeling different weapons have their damage reduced beyond their "range" in different manner, - like, at 1000 meters, gauss seem to be doing more % of its full damage than ERLL does, despite the fact gauss has less "range" than ERLL. It's a subjective feeling, though. But my point is, this is possibly to be tuned for weapons individually, - not for all of 'em at once... I guess.

6. But, there IS a warming about incoming missiles, no? Voice warming saying "warming: incoming missiles". As for lock - i don't think it's needed. At least, as long as SSRMs do lock on targets outside their max range, that is.

7. But it should, no? Besides, if SSRMs would be easily able to penetrate ECM, then it'd be sort of universal weapon against all sorts of lights. Not good, in my book - it's always better when there are choices to be made and different means to achieve one's goals.

8. Different LRM types? If i am not mistaken, this was not the case in Mechwarrior 3, was not the case with Mechwarrior 4. Why now? I'd rather see MRMs, thunderbolts and possibly other missile weapon systems to be implemented (at least, 1st). Plus, we already have Artemis and non-Artemis LRMs, too.

9. ECM cuts all communication - may be. Though i'd still allow communication between friendlies in direct vicinity of each other (say, done via laser-modulated communication, invisible spectrum). Remove "sit reps" from dead ones, - yes, this is a must, indeed! Can be done quite easily by automatically switching player's view to spectating any still surviving friendly after some set (small) amount of seconds (say, 20?).

10. But why? And also, how you'd imagine it to happen? In previous Mechwarrior games, we've seen sometimes how ammo is being loaded into 'mech - it's quite manual process, done by technicians, there are tools and ports involved, etc. I imagine it takes same process in reverse to unload it, - and in the open field, there are no technicians, no tools, nor time to do that...

11. The only weapon which i know can jam as of now - Ultra AC/5, - has unjamming time of 5 seconds, last i checked. Which is already within what you propose...

12. It could be alright idea, if only there would be no flamers nor lava. Getting hot on one's own fault, - ok, i'm fine if this could lead to ammo explosions. But, if all it takes for, say, cataphract to go down, - is a few seconds some light mech needs to use some 2...4 flamers to blow cataphract's ammo up - then i don't like this.

Cheers.

Edited by FinsT, 20 October 2013 - 11:39 PM.

#3 Shrike ski

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 44 posts
  • LocationColumbus Ohio

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:11 AM

3. usually dealing with a jam or 2 (the frequency certainly seems to be very high some games)

5. weapons fired from over normal range into the max range category still seem to do the same amount of damage (subjective I know)

6 lock also applies to crosshairs (contrary to how it looks it is not just a simple crosshair) active targeting is involved from other systems. also when targeting with missiles you would get a warning tone to try and break the lock.

7. I currently use streak srms to hunt ecm lights all the time and yes it still works (maybe I am lucky and exploiting a glitch) but it should not.

8. artimis is a laser guidance system that's what the extra ton and crit are for (in battletech anyway not sure how they actually work it here) and I definitely want thunder lrms, arrow IV would be nice too. deadfire missiles (renamed to MRMs in later editions)would be nice but no availability until 3058, 3060 same thing with the other missile systems you named.

10. in the battletech game it is possible to eject ammo, expecially useful if the weapon that uses it is destroyed, ammo explosions are deadly in the tabletop game.

12. them's the risks you take.

Edited by Shrike ski, 21 October 2013 - 12:17 AM.

#4 HugoStiglitz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:27 AM

1. Baby steps, lets get that tech first and then only if the playerbase would use it.

2. With community warfare, it seems more like you are going to be a merc that can ally with a faction, so you would still be able to pick up new mechs off the black market. Limiting people would make it less fun overall.

3. Do you mean weapon spread? The idea is that we are the pilot and get to actively affect our aim, randomizing it would only push more people to SSRMs, LRMs and weapons that were already balanced around a 'shotgun' pattern, like the LBX and SRMs and would make long range combat impossible eliminating it out of the game entirely.

4. The manuals also give a reason for the minimums, shielding the mech's electronics for PPCs cause them to fizzle if they hit within 90m, and LRMs have an arm time. The fact that they even do damage in TT is wierd imo.

5. All of them exept missiles already do. Beam weapons go on for max range again (450 max = 900 absolute max) and have a linear decay over that range (450 max range weapon will deal 50% damage at 675), while ballistics share the linear decay but it's over 2x max range.

6. Sure on the lock alert.

7. So remove their lock inside an ECM cloud? Why make ECM a bigger 'must have' for a team?

8. Would love to see ammo types, but I think they have some more work before they can start on them.

9. Again, why make ECM a bigger 'must have'?

10. See 8.

11. That would make the UAC/5 potentially the most useless weapon in the game, when now it's just a little bit weak.

12. Heat is alot easier to manage in TT and killing yourself from a random chance ammo exposion would also suck.

Overally it seems like you want this game to be the table top game. It's not. There are a lot of systems in the table top game that just don't transfer over well into the simulation. Every MechWarrior game knows this and doesn't implement these systems word for word. They try and keep the essence of the systems, but the table top is divided into 10 sec rounds, live action just doesn't take translation from that very well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users