Your ultimate backdrop for combat!

7 replies to this topic

#1 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

So we know there will be an emphasis on urban combat, but it wont be exclusively so. It got me thinking of map types and environments which I'd personally never seen in any of the games. And what would be really fun. I hope that the environments are not just a map for shooting people in the face, but that they can further act as a window in the world of Battletech lore. Furthermore these can tie into the wider gaming system.

But I'd really love to see a Battlemech Factory as a map environment. I've never witnessed them in any of the MechWarrior Games. Just some illustrations and graphics from various sources, along with the descriptions in books. But it would be pretty epic to witness.

Other places I've always wanted to see is a decent swamp and forrest environment. I don't think they have ever really been successfully done yet in any MechWarrior game. Maybe bar MWLL, but I don't really count it as it's a mod of another game. Though, I will give MWLL credit to some of their maps and environments. The moon map with asteroids and stuff was pretty epic looking.

Where would you all most love to see? Maybe it's a specific place from the Battletech universe or a type of general environment.

#2 TheForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

I always like a post apocalyptic barren wasteland.

I'd like it to be a huge map with a base in the middle. Attackers could chose to their spawn points, in one of 8 spots, and defenders could chose their spawn points in/close to the base.

Edited by TheForce, 12 November 2011 - 10:38 AM.

#3 feor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:30 PM

There was a mech factory in MW3, it was inside a mountain, actually a pretty cool mission map.

Outside of that, battling into a Brian Castle would be fun, if crazy.

#4 wolf on the tide

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Locationnext to the keyboard

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

a fully immersive game world (or is that asking too much?)

kind of like star wars galaxies was just after jump to light speed, and before they ruined everything with the No Game Experience (NGE) back in the sand box days when you could be anything you wanted to be ... and not some pigeon holed combat class grinding from noob to max level.

that way... we'd get light mech pilots who ACTUALLY wanted to be light mech pilots, same for mediums, heavy's and assault mechs... rather than everybody just grinding up the levels until they hit some max level cap, and buy an atlas.

because a straight grind from disposessed to assault mech...

...is the ultimate FAIL backdrop for combat.

#5 Gorthaur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

i want to fight in space again. fighting on the hulls of ships and lunar scenes with less gravity. also, i would like maps geared more towards different sets of scenarios. for example, some kind of map with a canyon geared for an ambush style of a fight.

i wonder if there is going to be any cool objective game types. id love some multi-objective gameplay modes (like invasion on halo or something similar). one troop of mechs has to invade a base or one troop of mechs has to keep another troop of mechs from assassinate some noble on some planet.

#6 Hallstatt

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

I would LOVE a battle inside a MecFactory if the devs can make it so the Mechs inside the Factory can be used to distract the opponent and (if push can be used) pushed over them or to make diff terrain.

#7 wolf on the tide

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Locationnext to the keyboard

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

View PostHallstatt, on 12 November 2011 - 01:26 PM, said:

I would LOVE a battle inside a MecFactory if the devs can make it so the Mechs inside the Factory can be used to distract the opponent and (if push can be used) pushed over them or to make diff terrain.

just have a map of Hesperus 2

#8 Kumakichi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

Fighting inside a mech factory does sound cool. I know that the devs have said that most of the maps would be urban settings. But there were several MW4 maps on hilly/rocky terrain that were a lot of fun and not sniper heaven.

Also remember fog in MW4? (too bad they let people disable it if they didn't want to deal with it) If you tried the fog it made fighting challenging. Turn your radar off and try to slip up on an enemy mech force. So the maps dont necessarily need to be urban to force mechs to get up close and personal. Combat could take place on a foggy planet with electrical interference so your radar couldn't lock on targets further than 700m.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users