- - - - -

Wait, I Have To Buy Premium And Mechs With Rl Money?

39 replies to this topic

#21 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostTheOctagonX, on 21 October 2013 - 06:42 AM, said:

That should make MWO one of the most expensive games to play if you want to advance beyond trial mechs.

No wonder the haters are hating..XD

The games great so far, but having to buy both is a bit daunting...

Nah - only if you want the special mechs and want to earn way XP and c-bills way faster. The "special" mechs just have unique hardpoints and aren't really "I win" buttons. They're pretty well balanced.

#22 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

That should make MWO one of the most expensive games to play if you want to advance beyond trial mechs.

Uh... no?

You can purchase any of the standard variants with C-Bills.

Hero Mechs, Paint, Camo Patterns, and Mech Bays are just icing on the cake. If you don't like icing you can scrape it off; the cake is still delicious.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostKoniving, on 02 October 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

I usually don't have questions that I can't answer myself, but I can think of a few good ones that are commonly asked.

Q: "Why does it look like mechs can only be bought with real money?"
A: "When you first select Buy Mech, they list the 'premium' mechs which are regular mechs with experience bonuses or hero mechs with cbill bonuses and unique looks and hardpoints available for also known as 'Real Money'.

Posted Image

On the right hand are 5 mech icons. The star means premium. L is light, M is medium, H is heavy, and A is assault. The price is the in-game price.

#24 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Buy premium time, grind cbills, buy more mechs for free.

#25 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostIron Harlequin, on 21 October 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

has anyone else noticed this overwhelming amount of posts about of misinformation from the bad UI, no tutorial, and the horrible new user experience that someone will post like 1 post and then never be heard from again?

Yeah - but as there are several who started out looking like this but stuck around... cannot really abandon them can we :)

(I want to say Stargeezer started out like this... but I might be thinking of someone else.... :P)

#26 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 21 October 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

Yeah - but as there are several who started out looking like this but stuck around... cannot really abandon them can we :)

(I want to say Stargeezer started out like this... but I might be thinking of someone else.... :P)

Also can sometimes be difficult to discern between true new player confusion and trolls, but in this section I usually give the benefit of the doubt.

#27 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

Koniving once again has the most detailed post.

I just want to add that that all the mechs that can be bought with C-bills ALSO have a MC cost but you only pay one OR the other not both.

View PostLauLiao, on 21 October 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

Also can sometimes be difficult to discern between true new player confusion and trolls, but in this section I usually give the benefit of the doubt.

This, nothing would run someone off faster than to be attacked for an honest mistake that is already pushing them away.

#28 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

View PostLauLiao, on 21 October 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

That is about what I meant to post (how it wound up with what I posted I am not sure :))

#29 Rhodiebert

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

I cant buy a mech for c-bills. How do you do it?

#30 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostRhodiebert, on 19 December 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

I cant buy a mech for c-bills. How do you do it?

Click the "mechlab" tab at the top of the window. Look at the bottom left box. There should be 2 tabs: "trial mechs" and "owned mechs". Click on "owned mechs".

To the right you should see 4 (four) boxes indicating your mech bays. Click on "buy mech". The menu as posted above (by Koniving) will appear. Refer to his post if unsure.

#31 sp0q

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

I started today and the way to buy mechs for cbills was beyond my comprehension. The game is nice, but the UI? My god, the UI...

#32 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,661 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

DISCLAIMER: Every previous post is now outdated because it is referring to the old UI

New UI:
STORE > BATTLEMECHS > Pick a mech which has a Cbill value listed and click the "Buy" button. It will prompt you whether you want to buy with MC or Cbills.

This is actually an improvement.

EDIT: Related question: If you pick a MC only mech and you have enough MC, and click "buy" does it prompt you for confirmation? I don't want to test it...

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 12 February 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#33 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

That's what happens when dead threads get Necro'ed. :D

#34 Davinelulinvega

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCorridan IV

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 12 February 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

Related question: If you pick a MC only mech and you have enough MC, and click "buy" does it prompt you for confirmation? I don't want to test it...

Yes, you need to confirm.

#35 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

View Postsp0q, on 12 February 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

I started today and the way to buy mechs for cbills was beyond my comprehension. The game is nice, but the UI? My god, the UI...

New UI:
STORE > BATTLEMECHS > Pick a mech which has a Cbill value listed and click the "Buy" button. It will prompt you whether you want to buy with MC or Cbills.

Alternatively - Mechbay - upper left corner you can change it to "Purchasable" mechs - and buy from there, with the added advantage that you can see the default loadout of the mech you are buying.

#36 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostHexenhammer, on 21 October 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

The Rules of MC.

1. Buy Mechbays first.
2. The Hero Mechs +Cbill bonus never expires.
3. Never buy anything with MC that can be bought with Cbills.
4. Don't sell Hero Mechs.
5. Don't sell engines
6. If there is no room see rule #1. If there still isn't room strip the mech, see rule 4, then sell the stripped mech.

There is more to add, for when buying MC and items that can only be purchased by MC.

1. Try to buy MC when it is on sale. 2012 and 2013 once each before Christmas.

2. buy hero mechs on sale.

3. If you buy premium time, do so either on sale or with packages like below.

next group is for vanity.

4. Buy colors on sale, only if all the C-bill colors are purchased, colors accessed from packages below, or what you have just will not do. Then there are the free colors by other offers, PC Gamer colors.

5. Buy camo patterns on sale. But look for other companies with free pattern offerings like the PC gamer skin.

6. Buy cockpit items on sale. But look for other companies with free items, Alienware heads, Coconut Monkey, Nvidia Dawn, or the mythical Squirrel that appears in some peoples cockpits. (This may be issued by PGI, but has not been confirmed as of yet.)

7. Various Packages. Not sure now, but I wonder what will happen in the Summer of 2015. Other unseen or clan mechs being released?
Phoenix, and Clan packages. Not sure on the Founders, since it had just ended when I found MWO.
With these there were benefits to purchasing before a certain date, like some extra premium time. Both packages were worth the price just with the mechs with bonuses like the hero mechs, mech bays, free items, premium time, Paint colors, skins for non-bonus mechs, skins for bonus mechs. All this made the cost to buy the packages cheaper than buying the items individually.

What it boils down to is you only have to buy mech bays if you want more than 4 mechs, or if you want a hero mech. There are offers out there from time to time for free and exclusive items. there is a grind, but easing that is a way to bypass the grind a little depending on your available time and enjoyment for playing the game.

Remember, Good Luck and most of all Have Fun.

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 12 February 2014 - 02:52 PM.

#37 Unleashed3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 525 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 12 February 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

7. Various Packages. Not sure now, but I wonder what will happen in the Summer of 2015. Other unseen or clan mechs being released?

time for Behemoth II and Marauder II i guess.... GIMME THE CLANRAIL!!! :-D

#38 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

I haven't used my founder's time yet and I've bought a good deal of my Mechs with pure .

#39 Jay Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 436 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

All you "need" is mechbays

#40 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

View Postsp0q, on 12 February 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

Two methods are now available.

Method 1:

New UI:

Method 2:
Mechbay.
Filter - Owned.
Click, change to Purchasable.
Posted Image

Select mech. (Note: The mechs at the TOP of the list are hero mechs; thus MC only).
Posted Image

Hover mouse to see info (not available in the Store method)
Posted Image

Buy and then make it your own.
Posted Image

(Sorry I didn't take fresh pics, I'm in the middle of drawing "Koniving" the character for a college project.) Hope this helps!

Edited by Koniving, 12 February 2014 - 04:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users