A Tale Of Two Games...

3 replies to this topic

#1 Antasius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

MWO is in the horrible position of trying to balance play-ability with simulator realism.

My suggestion is this:

PGI needs to make two games, two modes if you prefer: Make the hardcore simulator along side the "balanced for fun" version of MWO.

It's trying to please everyone that is screwing all this up. Just split the game into two modes and you will see that you have two player-bases that are now happy and digging what you're doing.

I encourage the community here to help define these to separate styles of play here in this thread.

Oh, and before we get the "not going to happen" posts - this is theoretical, please play along here. And maybe consider that shoe-horning this game into one big mess just isn't jiving with the whole.

Let's talk options.

/salute

#2 fandre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

what are the differences between fun and sim mode?

#3 Randalf Yorgen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

I can see this quickly being called "Another reason to split the player base" Although I see what you are saying I think a better use of resources would be for PGI to get a tutorial Mission Package together so that all players could go and have a chance to play around with all the basic controls and learn what information is being provided with the HUD in it's present state. Right now the players who have been at it a while and who have moved up the ELO tree become frustrated when they want to do just a couple of solo drops, and they wind up with a group of players who don't know where all the bells and whistles are. It's not the fault of the players who don't know, some of those "new player must read" articles are dry and don't hold your interest for more than 10 seconds. Also a lot of people learn FASTER with a walkthrough where the E,D I, method is employed to teach them (explantion, Demonstration, Immitation) In other words, I tell you about something, I show you how to use that something and then I get you so do that something. Little things like players not pressing "R" to target the enemy mechs and then complaining that they didn't recieve any LRMs. (don't target the mech and don't ask for lrms, you don't get lrm support), players who don't know how to set their weapons to chain fire or even set up weapon groups and end up over heating on the third shot and then every shot after that. Again, it's not the fault of the newer players, there is no mechanic to teach them if they don't use TS3 or Mumble or some other type of voice coms. They can ask on the forums, yes but then they get hit with a wall of text that usually turns into an argument, so they don't know, get frustrated and say screw it and don't care anymore.

If we could get everyone a basic begining skill set I think that there would be a lot more "FUN" in the game, Balance would be better and the basics about team play would come quite quickly.

#4 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Nice idea.. but it's taken them years to get to where we are- you want them to build another?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users