Availability Of Clans/clantech? How? For Whom?

49 replies to this topic

Poll: Clans and Clantech (89 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should be allowed to join a Clan?

1. anyone (56 votes [62.92%])

Percentage of vote: 62.92%

2. a minimum of proven experience (22 votes [24.72%])

Percentage of vote: 24.72%

3. a minimum of seniority (11 votes [12.36%])

Percentage of vote: 12.36%

Should Clantech be available in the IS?

1. yes (50 votes [56.18%])

Percentage of vote: 56.18%

2. no (39 votes [43.82%])

Percentage of vote: 43.82%

Whole Clanmechs or just equipment?

1. Clanmechs (67 votes [75.28%])

Percentage of vote: 75.28%

2. just equipment (22 votes [24.72%])

Should Clantech be available on the open market for CB?

1. yes (46 votes [51.69%])

Percentage of vote: 51.69%

2. yes, but just equipment (13 votes [14.61%])

Percentage of vote: 14.61%

3. no (30 votes [33.71%])

Percentage of vote: 33.71%

Should there be hurdles for someone of the IS to acquire Clantech?

1. no hurdles (19 votes [21.35%])

Percentage of vote: 21.35%

2. an in-game event has to be triggered as a pre-condition (e.g. salvage) (27 votes [30.34%])

Percentage of vote: 30.34%

3. extra expensive for IS-players (14 votes [15.73%])

Percentage of vote: 15.73%

4. only for experienced players (1 votes [1.12%])

Percentage of vote: 1.12%

5. only for long-time players (1 votes [1.12%])

Percentage of vote: 1.12%

6. Clantech has a downside in IS-Mechs (e.g. it's destructible when used in IS-Mechs) (5 votes [5.62%])

Percentage of vote: 5.62%

7. Clantech not available for IS (22 votes [24.72%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Cirran

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationKentares IV

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:48 AM

View PostMordin Ashe, on 21 October 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

I suppose they are delaying the clans exactly because they need to solve this availiability/power/cost/whatever issues. Chances are there may not be any straightforward way of implementing the clans, you need to check a lot of varians and proposals, which requires a substantial ammount of time. Then you have to test it to really find out the long term impact specific variants have on the game. Even though I would love the clans to come tomorrow I just know that won't happen, because to make them at least somehow beneficial and not game-breaking requires a lot of time, and I am glad PGI takes that time.

If they had started this in 3025, there would be less to balance and plenty of time to add the clans after they got the game mechanics squared away.

#42 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:23 AM

View PostCirran, on 22 October 2013 - 12:48 AM, said:

If they had started this in 3025, there would be less to balance and plenty of time to add the clans after they got the game mechanics squared away.

They might have started in 3067 and have IS tech almost as powerful as Clan's :D

#43 Cirran

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationKentares IV

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 22 October 2013 - 04:23 AM, said:

They might have started in 3067 and have IS tech almost as powerful as Clan's :blink:

My point was, if they only had to balance the basic armor, internal structure, gyros, engines, heat sinks, and weapons( Sm, Med, Large Laser, PPC, LRM 5,10,15,20, SRM 2,4,6, Flamer, MGs , and, Auto Cannon 2, 5, 10, 20). It would give them a solid base to build off of, and make it a TON easier to add new tech and balance them against the basic weapons and ensure that adding tech did not obsolete certain basic weapons. Instead they started too far down the time line and rushed in tech before the basic weapons were balanced. Clan tech will be even more broken or so far from what the Clan fanbois want it to be that it will just cause more flame rage. Edited: added flamer

Edited by Cirran, 22 October 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#44 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostCirran, on 22 October 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

My point was, if they only had to balance the basic armor, internal structure, gyros, engines, heat sinks, and weapons( Sm, Med, Large Laser, PPC, LRM 5,10,15,20, SRM 2,4,6, Flamer, MGs , and, Auto Cannon 2, 5, 10, 20). It would give them a solid base to build off of, and make it a TON easier to add new tech and balance them against the basic weapons and ensure that adding tech did not obsolete certain basic weapons. Instead they started too far down the time line and rushed in tech before the basic weapons were balanced. Clan tech will be even more broken or so far from what the Clan fanbois want it to be that it will just cause more flame rage. Edited: added flamer

MechWarrior 5 was set in 3015.
Just saying..

#45 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

Clan Tech should become available to Inner Sphere players as it became available to them in Canon. on a day=day as it does for the timeline. OR PGI Can have a major mix up battle an instead of cash awards players get Clan Swag. Then they would have to pay to upgrade just like switching from single to double sinks... only Much more expensive!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 23 October 2013 - 09:16 AM.

#46 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 October 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

Clan Tech should become available to Inner Sphere players as it became available to them in Canon. on a day=day as it does for the timeline. OR PGI Can have a major mix up battle an instead of cash awards players get Clan Swag. Then they would have to pay to upgrade just like switching from single to double sinks... only Much more expensive!

Until they reverse-engineer some Clan tech only Wolf's Dragoons can have it. Why not? :D

#47 Nehkrosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 772 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

been saying it for Weeks, if not Months.
put in a Zell system, that restricts playstyle.

What, you like flashy awesome weapons, but just wanna kill everything?
heres your ****** second-line uncustomizable Hunchie IIc that cant fire both its ACs at once due to heat scaling, oh, and your not able to customize it...at all... and you never will pilot a true omni due to your disgusting Dezgra status. sucks for you mate.

^^^

this would make people play Clan, Clan-like, and you would never have to nerf the Clan-tech.

#48 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 23 October 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

Until they reverse-engineer some Clan tech only Wolf's Dragoons can have it. Why not? ;)

Cause right now The Dragoons have given a few Omnis out to the heads of state. But I think I know what you meant.

#49 Tyrnea Smurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

Well the easiest way to add the clans from a competitive point of view would be to add them as a pve AI faction. Then the idea of allowing IS pilots access to clan tech through rare drops in a salvage system through Community Warfare would be a viable format.

But there is absolutely no way that's happening. The Jade Falcons, Wolves, Ghost Bears and Smoke Jaguars are going to get added to the game as a new set of factions in a year or less.

In another thread shortly after the launch party I wrote up a way for the released info on CW to tie into the introduction to the Clans. Basically you either have to buy your way in with a founders/phoenix style package, or work through the faction reputation system of the 5 factions in CW to the point where you would have to go merc to finish them off. Once your a merc your faction earned gained you bonus merc rep for a Wolfs Dragoons standing (basically completing contracts through the Mercenary Review and Bonding Commission) as your standing with the Dragoons increased you gain access to banded tiers of Clan tech (the Dragoons are the only IS organization who would have access to Clan tech before 3050) with full OmniMechs unlocked at max standing with the Dragoons.

This would give IS pilots a lore friendly way to getting clan tech without having to buy a package.

But I suspect the clans are simply gonna get dumped into the game. I highly doubt that PGI's version of clan tech will be an I Win Button (which frankly is where most of the interest of adding them to the game comes from). I suspect half the reason for mechanics of things like ghost heat and gauss charging were designed to allow greater control over the 2 tech bases, and to provide a semi-hidden balancing system to reign in the unbalancing nature of clan tech.

My guess is PGI will tweak clan tech to the point where they are simply more durable (say 20 hit points per component vs the 10 in IS tech) and a bit smaller (2 side torso slot XL engines, 2 slots on DHS vs the 3 of the IS model, 12 slots for FF or EndoSteel vs 14 for the IS versions ect) Rather than the excessive range, damage and heat advantages TT clan tech provides.

If i'm right, the gnashing of teeth of the 'I want clan tech for the I Win button it provides' crowd is gonna be epic...

#50 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 October 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Cause right now The Dragoons have given a few Omnis out to the heads of state. But I think I know what you meant.

Only players from the Wolf's Dragoons factions are allowed tu unlock, buy or obtain in some way Clan tech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users