Flash Hiders For Guns

9 replies to this topic

#1 TychoTheItinerant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

After seeing screenies of Shawks turning half of their front vision field into a blinding white flash of dakka, something occurred to me.

Are flash-hiders Lostech or something?

#2 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

Flash Suppressors are a non-issue in Btech.

#3 TychoTheItinerant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 21 October 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

Flash Suppressors are a non-issue in Btech.

In TT maybe, but have you seen screenshots of Shawks in MWO firing their ballistics?

http://mwomercs.com/...hawks-weakness/

Edited by TychoTheItinerant, 21 October 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#4 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

A flash suppressor wouldn't solve that problem anyways.

Flash suppressors take the excess gas (flash) and push it out to the side for the purpose of reducing recoil and keeping a high angle gun from putting the flash high into the air.

It doesn't make the flash go away, just keeps it close to the gun.

(Ergo Artillery typically has it, but tanks typically don't.)

#5 TychoTheItinerant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

http://en.wikipedia....lash_suppressor

I dunno, seems to do a pretty decent job of making it so that the operator isn't blinded. Some better than others in the video. nota bene @ 5:35 or so in the video.

Admittedly an AR-15 is not an AC or a MGun but surely the same principles can be applied/adapted by the 31st century.

Edited by TychoTheItinerant, 21 October 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#6 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:58 AM

Perhaps you should find an Artillery piece.. like maybe a Paladin or a M777 for a closer reference to a flash suppressor on a big gun.

#7 FinsT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:16 AM

I just want an AC/20 sound supressor, please.

What? Non-issue? Oh come on. Lowly earthlings of 20th century had it. Certainly we can make a bit smaller, transportable one for me now, can't we? :D :)

#8 TychoTheItinerant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:48 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 22 October 2013 - 03:58 AM, said:

Perhaps you should find an Artillery piece.. like maybe a Paladin or a M777 for a closer reference to a flash suppressor on a big gun.

I actually went looking for videos of things like that firing, and while I AGAIN acknowledge that an AR-15 != an Autocannon, the MGuns are canonically in the region of .50 caliber and are still small arms. A lot of the tank and artillery pieces I see either have no flash hider or muzzle brake (M1A1 MBTs for example - though to be honest there was so much dust and smoke from the shots that I could barely spot the flash in some videos) or have something that looks like it was meant to vector muzzle blasts in such a manner as to simply improve weapon accuracy, rather than being concerned with blinding the operator temporarily. Since most of these weapons are at least partially guided by a fire-solution computer anyway (I'm guessing), the operator doesn't really suffer significant detriment in his ability to aim and operate the weapon due to muzzle flash. Contrast with MWO, where the pilot is much more viscerally in control of exactly where that AC round is going, and any hindrance to visibility (like the Shawk's) is much more of a threat to the operator's life as his awareness of any enemies that are obscured by that flash is reduced, leaving him open to attacks from the side.

View PostFinsT, on 22 October 2013 - 04:16 AM, said:

I just want an AC/20 sound supressor, please.

What? Non-issue? Oh come on. Lowly earthlings of 20th century had it. Certainly we can make a bit smaller, transportable one for me now, can't we? :D :)

I can imagine it now, a pair of massive metal cylinders each roughly the size and length of an Atlas' leg stuck to the ends of the twin barrels of an AC40 Jager. A terrible idea to be sure, but humorous.

Edited by TychoTheItinerant, 22 October 2013 - 04:51 AM.

#9 FinsT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:22 AM

View PostTychoTheItinerant, on 22 October 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

I can imagine it now, a pair of massive metal cylinders each roughly the size and length of an Atlas' leg stuck to the ends of the twin barrels of an AC40 Jager. ...

Triple said size and length, and you arrive at what i was imagining. :)

View PostTychoTheItinerant, on 22 October 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

... but humorous.

Which was exactly the sole reason to make it. To OP: sorry... Temptation was too great! %) :D

#10 fandre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

IMHO a flash hider would be usefull for two reasons:

1) If you have a mech where the muzzle flash is a problem for your sight, you can add it to your weapons to reduce the muzzle flash and to see more.
2) The muzzle flash can be clearly seen and used to spot a mech in the distance even if its color blends it with the enviroment. Reducing or redirecting the flash would make it harder to spot them.

Maybe the weapons performance (dmg) could be reduced when applied.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users