31 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

Now I understand why people aren't doing better with it. I figured it was pimped to the max with all the best gear that money can buy. Actually, it's a terrible waste of good equipment and it comes with useless weapon groups (which helps explain why new players are always firing their weapons at the wrong time with this mech)

Atlas RS Champion build
  • 2x LRM15 + Artemis, and the Atlas RS has 10 + 6 tubes. Seriously.
  • Gauss rifle, the most difficult weapon to use right in the game. Shouldn't really be on a trial mech.
  • 4 medium lasers in 2 different weapon groups. Wtf?
  • 20 rounds of ammo for the gauss, 3 tons of ammo for the LRM. These are the main weapons of this mech, and you're going to run out of ammo in the first three minutes.
  • Main weapons are very difficult to use in a brawl, and brawling is what comes naturally to new players.
  • An exploding gauss rifle makes it less than tempting to go first and shield your teammates from damage.
All in all... if you're going to have a trial assault mech for new players, at least make it a standard assault mech that suits new players. If you're trying to teach new players the intricacies of MWO by giving them this "unconventional" build, you're doing it wrong.

#2 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

The Atlas-RS(C) was introduced before the ugly change to the Gauss Rifle....

#3 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

I understand that it may not be very helpful for new players, but having the mediums lasers in two groups is best since it allows you to only fire the group on the arm that is currently poking out of cover.

#4 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

It was okay before the gauss rifle change. Switch it to an AC 20 and it'd be fine. (maybe with an extra ton of ammo since the AC20 weigh a bit less)

#5 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

I posted this as feedback a while back, but that was prior to the Gauss change.

It's a terrible newbie trap, since people still aim for the RT and most newbies freak out once their Gauss Rifle tends to make their mech blow up faster.

Gauss Rifle needs more ammo, and the mech's internals (the torsos) are poorly protected by the component placement.

Edited by Deathlike, 23 October 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#6 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostCharons Little Helper, on 23 October 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

It was okay before the gauss rifle change. Switch it to an AC 20 and it'd be fine. (maybe with an extra ton of ammo since the AC20 weigh a bit less)

The 2xLRM15+A is still a criminal combination on an Atlas with 10+6 tubes. It just makes no sense on any level.

View PostKrivvan, on 23 October 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

I understand that it may not be very helpful for new players, but having the mediums lasers in two groups is best since it allows you to only fire the group on the arm that is currently poking out of cover.

It's relatively rare that this is a big concern, especially with this build. Moving your left arm around a corner to fire your 2 medium lasers is basically pointless, and most new players don't really have the coordination to use corners optimally anyway.

If the Champion RS had 4 x LL, then I would agree with you. Kind of.

#7 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 23 October 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

The 2xLRM15+A is still a criminal combination on an Atlas with 10+6 tubes. It just makes no sense on any level.

It's relatively rare that this is a big concern, especially with this build. Moving your left arm around a corner to fire your 2 medium lasers is basically pointless, and most new players don't really have the coordination to use corners optimally anyway.

If the Champion RS had 4 x LL, then I would agree with you. Kind of.

The real question is...why doesn't the Champion RS have 4 LLs and an AC20 (or Gauss)??? Oh yeah...ghost heat.

#8 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

I would argue that if you are going to learn how to use a Gauss, might as well do it on a mech that can take a few hits. And it is not a bad thing, after all the (C) mech are your steakhouse take-away dinner. Not as good as you can do your self with some practise, but really nice if you lack the time/skill to make it your self

#9 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

FYI, it doesn't when the build linked is your customized version, and not the actual stock build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ab#i=92&l=stock

This is what it should kinda look like IMO:
AS7-RS(C)

Added 1 ton of Gauss, reduced the overabundance of armor on the arms and legs, and added DHS to properly buffer the Gauss and LRMs.

#10 Ens

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

today i had someone in my team who actually bought this pile of ****....

and he did a loadout himself...kind of
kept the lrm15... did 4 MPL and kept the gauss
he had a one on one with a K-Catapult....with dual LBX

he died, doing 46 pts of damage.....( you know i meant the atlas, right? )

#11 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostEns, on 23 October 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

Never underestimate the power of the LBX10.

Seriously though, the 2LBX10+2MG+2MPL+SRM4 build for the CTF-4x is beastly if you can get in range for it. You basically blind them with a hail of bullets and crit everything you expose and turn them into a stick.

#12 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostEns, on 23 October 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

This is usual for any Atlas that is unpainted has (C) or DD-C RS at the moment if an atlas scores more than 200 damage its a plus these days usually the team with the least Atali wins

now some are very good but most good pilots have got a bit bored with it and are grinding other mechs.

last month i've been happier to see awesomes on my team than Atlases

I know people have got to learn, but its soul destroying to be in a pug you feel hasn't a hope in hells chance of winning, it effects our own play for the worse, and you play less finding other things to do..lol.. I actually played SWTOR the last couple of days and less than 20 games of mwo

#13 Ens

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:29 AM

View PostFate 6, on 23 October 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

Never underestimate the power of the LBX10.

true.... but in a 1on1 situation... where the catapult is already damaged and my atlas is at 100%....in close combat....
man...you just cannot lose with an atlas given the mentioned loadout :)

#14 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:15 AM

Uhm that Atlas isn't that bad. Have run such thing long time ago...the problem is not the RS the problem are all the overrated other Mechs.
Gauss and LRM was always a good combination - although its usability is highly dependend from current FOTMs or Balance changes. Currently its not a superb combination.

Players that understand to use those LRMs not for indirect fire - but for med range direct fire support - that mech is a perfect anchor.

#15 Commodore Frank

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:10 AM

All of the Atlas variants make no sense with their missiles. They all have a max tube size of 10, yet they all come with larger launchers.

#16 AvatarofWhat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 591 posts
  • LocationAntares

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

Yes its terrible so please dont run it. Its bad enough that I have to deal with occasional noobs on my team driving this thing(of course ill be in a locust or something) but when experienced players like you are driving bad mechs like this as well....

well, we sure didnt win when you were piloting this on my team...

#17 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

View PostAvatarofWhat, on 24 October 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

but when experienced players like you are driving bad mechs like this as well....

Some of us never learn sorry for that -
but please let me know - what is no a bad Mech?

BTW: I'm not driving I'm a Jockey - so I'm riding into battle or piloting - but never driving

#18 Dazi_Shimazu

• Pip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:49 AM

View PostAvatarofWhat, on 24 October 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

Yes its terrible so please dont run it. Its bad enough that I have to deal with occasional noobs on my team driving this thing(of course ill be in a locust or something) but when experienced players like you are driving bad mechs like this as well....

well, we sure didnt win when you were piloting this on my team...

Ummm, sorry to burst your bubble but any mech is a capable mech if the pilot is good and is more in tune with the weapon loadout. If the RS isn't your cup of tea or Atlai for that matter then don't play them. I know a guy just picked up playing with Atlai and he does about 550ish+ per game on average with this stock loadout. He hates the Gauss Rifle too but it doesn't stop him. As an average regardless of game I hardly see a huge complaint except for people that don't know how to play or are not in tune with it. Point is, complaining about a mech being {Scrap} because you don't like it, that is a problem you have and not their problem. Your problems aren't theirs.

#19 AvatarofWhat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 591 posts
  • LocationAntares

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

View PostKain Jackyll, on 24 October 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

Ummm, sorry to burst your bubble but any mech is a capable mech if the pilot is good and is more in tune with the weapon loadout.

False. Next youll be telling me the 9 flamer hunchback is a viable mech as long as you are "in tune" with it. I'm not saying its the worst mech, ive even gotten 600+ damage with it on an alternate account with fresh elo, but you cant take this to a high elo match and expect to come out on top.

#20 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

Lets make some ground rules for trial mechs for the noobs then:

-Must follow a stock loadout (already a PGI standard)
-Must not be a hero mech (another PGI standard)
-Has an in-game heat efficiency of at least 1.0 (which still really isn't any decent)
-No Spiders (bugged)
-No mechs that will build up Ghost Heat (because literally nowhere in the game itself is ghost heat mentioned)
-No mechs with the Gauss Rifle (due to its firing mechanism)
-And some might argue this, but for the sake of the point that there's no in-game info about XLs, no mechs with an XL engine.

I'm gonna break it down by weight class to try an make my point.
Light class 'mechs
Spoiler

Medium
Spoiler

Heavy
Spoiler

Assault
Spoiler

So yeah, there's all the mechs based on the given "noob-friendly" criteria as defined by many of us as well as by using the standards PGI uses.

And the selection pretty much sucks. A lot of those remaining are still pretty hot mechs to run in. Hopefully with UI 2.0 it'll solve the problem of Ghost Heat, the Gauss Rifle, and XL engines, but its here yet, so the problem stands - less than half of all mechs are noob-friendly mechs viable to be trial mechs.

My idea would be to just have community suggestions, and some of the ones that are judged to be the best are used as trial mechs for the next period of time until new trials come out. I'm sure that the community could come up with plenty of mechs that exemplify their weight class while remaining an asset to the team and isn't an oven for its pilot. Of course, it would be highly unlikely that the developers would do this, because it would mean admitting that they made a blatantly bad design choice. One can dream though.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 24 October 2013 - 08:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users