35 replies to this topic

#1 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

I didn't see any official feed back thread for the Locust (or any of the other new mechs for that matter), so here is one now.

My issues with the locust are as follows:
- The canopy supports are in the way, it's very difficult to see anything around you. They could use to be lessed, made slightly transparent maybe, or thinned up at least.
- It feels like it's a little too tall/big still. It's almost as tall as a jenner, and only slightly thinner. Maybe I'm getting too picky here though, but this I see as a minor issue.
- SSRMs, from what I can tell without more testing, seems to home in almost exclusively onto the CT of the locust. I could be wrong here, and I need to test (get shot at) more. (Proven otherwise in later matches.)
- This last point (so far) is more of an issue with the Commando. The commando is suppose to be a hard hitting slower light, yet it has a max engine size that makes it run as fast as the Locust, a known fast mech. The commando is the only fast mech that got an engine size boost that I feel doesn't deserve it.

I'll post more as I find more things. The largest problem I'm having so far is the blinding cross beams of the cockpit glass. Those beams probably could use to be thinned out some, ore have some of them removed for better visibility. Right now, the Locust is probably the only mech to tempt me into playing in 3pv, just so I can see around (and to look at it's awesomeness).

More play testing coming...

Edited by Tesunie, 21 October 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#2 Gamgan

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

Wow real feed back in a constructive manner. Is that even allowed here?
;)

Thanks for posting this cant wait to test this for.my self.

#3 Mehlan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationTx

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

Nice detailed post Tesunie

#4 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Thanks, I try to create informative and well thought out posts. I don't always succeed.

Update: SSRMs are not homing into the CT of the Locust (at least not the ones I was facing). I must have just had a lot of unlucky shots coming in at me that seemed to hit my rear CT. Of course, my targets where facing me, so it still might be an issue but only when being shot from the rear? Still testing.

#5 TheCrazySteve

• PipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

It is kind of depressing that this was the first light in like 8 months, and that we will probably have to wait another 8 months for the next light.

So far have only played the mg locust, which is mostly trash due to mgs currently being trash. Am looking forward to the other two, they seem very promising on paper.

#6 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostTheCrazySteve, on 15 October 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

It is kind of depressing that this was the first light in like 8 months, and that we will probably have to wait another 8 months for the next light.

So far have only played the mg locust, which is mostly trash due to mgs currently being trash. Am looking forward to the other two, they seem very promising on paper.

I wouldn't kick the MG variant out yet. You just have to adjust your thinking at tactics with it is all. Stay with the group and hold back the speed. Let your team whittle your opponents down some, then blaze in once armor is starting to be breached and dig in.

It is not an easy playing style, nor an easy mech to use. I'm still experimenting with it, but before I can go too much farther, I need to buy it an XL engine...

#7 TheCrazySteve

• PipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

Oh that's exactly what I've been doing, but bottom line is while you may have a decent match here and there you are not really an asset to your team.

I feel like if I had a bank of small or medium lasers I could finish off unarmored mechs just as fast while gaining all the other benefits of those weapons.

Don't get me wrong, at one point mg's were kind of crazy and needed to be toned down, but if I have to wait around for the team to expose mechs for my fire before I can be an asset, I should be outperforming a variant that uses srms or lasers at that point.

Between jump jets, ten extra tons, and articulated arms at least the spider 5k has the flexibility to work with sub par weapons, and I have had great success in that spider. Here the only matches where I have any success is when it is obvious that the team could have probably won without me.

#8 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

View PostTheCrazySteve, on 15 October 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

Oh that's exactly what I've been doing, but bottom line is while you may have a decent match here and there you are not really an asset to your team.

I feel like if I had a bank of small or medium lasers I could finish off unarmored mechs just as fast while gaining all the other benefits of those weapons.

Don't get me wrong, at one point mg's were kind of crazy and needed to be toned down, but if I have to wait around for the team to expose mechs for my fire before I can be an asset, I should be outperforming a variant that uses srms or lasers at that point.

Between jump jets, ten extra tons, and articulated arms at least the spider 5k has the flexibility to work with sub par weapons, and I have had great success in that spider. Here the only matches where I have any success is when it is obvious that the team could have probably won without me.

The one time (so far) I've played the MG Locust, I felt the same way. But once I get a max XL engine and a large laser on it, I think it might be better. It's that one energy slot that hurts it so much. If they had the option of 2 energy in the CT, you could put more armor peeling weapons on.

My idea at the moment for the Locust is to get a large laser for some range, use my smaller profile to greater benefit from long range fire, and after I have worn down the foe, use my speed to get in close for the MGs to do their work. Can't say how effective it will be till I can get the mech working right.

I have actually found that LRMs and MGs work very well together. Use LRMs to support the team for a while, then charge in later in the game with the MGs on sections your own LRMs opened up. Sadly, the Locust does not have that combo going for it, it's all direct combat for that little bug.

#9 Lucian Nostra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

My only qualm with the Locust is the fact that they upped the engines on other mechs. The Commando didn't need a larger engine that makes it faster than the Locust, nor did the Spiders need engines capable of Locust speeds.

Yes I know the Spider was the same speed as a locust in TT but still the Locust needed SOMETHING...

#10 ChuChuRo

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

Right, it has NOTHING going for it. No ECM, no JJ, no armor, no survivability whatsoever. 20 kp/h more than a Jenner, great. And a pile of junk right in it's field of view. This mech is hardly ever any benefit to any team, more a hindrance. Though I've done good with it sometimes, I'd say it's the worst mech in the game so far. Already sold the 2 standards, wish I could sell the hero too. Piece of effin' {Scrap}.

#11 Wispsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostTesunie, on 15 October 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

I wouldn't kick the MG variant out yet. You just have to adjust your thinking at tactics with it is all. Stay with the group and hold back the speed. Let your team whittle your opponents down some, then blaze in once armor is starting to be breached and dig in.

It is not an easy playing style, nor an easy mech to use. I'm still experimenting with it, but before I can go too much farther, I need to buy it an XL engine...

But why would you not have the exact same build on a spider but with jjs and twice the armour...

#12 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

View PostWispsy, on 17 October 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

But why would you not have the exact same build on a spider but with jjs and twice the armour...

Different flavor? Different mech looks? 30% extra C-bill bonus? Faster (I think)? Smaller? Shorter? Old time fan of the mech?

Though, I do see your point, but I see a lot of people blaze in with MGs blazing... on pristine armor. Then they complain about how bad the MGs are, where as if you use them on internals they do twice the DPS of a small laser. They are a niche weapon and not easy to use.

Edit:
What I'm going to do eventually: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6a1d53a1b59bc3d
I think it will work out alright, especially if held at range (using small frame size), and then close in after armor has been breached (using speed). (DHD might be SHS if I find I don't need the upgrade.)

Edit of edit:
At the same time, as a counter thought, why not just do the same thing on the Cicada 3C? Same speed and more armor. (Not intending to sound rude, just presenting the concept. Hope you understand what I mean.)

Edited by Tesunie, 17 October 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#13 Wispsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

Spider 5K moves same speed as Locust. It is literally worse in every way. Smaller hitboxes too.

#14 CGB Behemoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 418 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

Hi guys!
Could someone take screenshot of Spider (30t) near Locust(20t) & Spider(30t) near Blackjack(40t)?

#15 BloodyDziq

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 158 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

nice job on the Locust, but I have one complaint ... I CANT SEE **** FROM THE COCKPIT ...

could You pleas remove some of the rails so the pilot could see a bit more :)

Thank You
<_<

#16 Dailey

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:58 AM

I totally agree about the cockpit, it is far too hard to see out of it. It does look pretty, but its not functional at all for this game. Please remove a lot of the struts, especially the thick ones near the sides.

#17 Penance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:06 AM

Weak sauce. But it's only 20 tons so it's no world-beater, but light mechs are fun

#18 William Knight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

I like it, it can't stand up in a fight but it can be a good harasser and scout.
Oh,and I completely agree with you about the commando.

Edited by William Knight, 18 October 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#19 Mad Elf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

The over-riding issue here is that once you've bought the Locust, it costs exactly the same to maintain, repair, and field as any other mech. If we had maintenance fees, R&R, drop fees, or even just tonnage limits*, it would be a valid mech to choose.

* - eg. you have the choice between 20T + 75T mechs, or 30T + 65T mechs... it'd be a valuable cheap scout, if more than a couple of maps required such, and the general style of play made use of them.

#20 Airborne Thunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFiddler's Green

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

My only complaints on the Phoenix Locust is the bike rack blocking my view and the minimum heat sink requirement. I do find it enjoyable to play but perhaps the laser boat variant would have been a better choice for the Hero version. What I do like about it is I put the max engine on it with double heat sinks and endo and that sucker is fast. Add speed tweak and lag shield and good luck hitting me. What I enjoy is running circles (literally) around a lone mech blazing him with my 4 MG's and a Flamer and watching him overheat trying to hit me. It must be really frustrating on their part. Oh, the best thing is it kind of looks like a TIE fighter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users