Unified Inventory And Loadout As "profiles"

12 replies to this topic

#1 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

I can't imagine how people with like more than 20 mechs handle their inventory. Some times you remember you had an AC10 but don't remember where it is and have to sieve through your mechs to find it.

I think the inventory should just record everything you own.

And each mech loadout is saved as a "profile", i.e. 'LRM boat' under each mech. The game will automatically load the mech when I ready it for a drop.

That way, the only time I need to buy equipment is when I actually don't have it, rather than being reminded I need to buy something when I already have one on another mech.

Furthermore, this will allow quick changes in loadout on a mech. Especially on versatile mechs that can have 3-4 viable loadouts, I just need to "switch profile" under the mech.

I imagine this would have been suggested a lot, but it doesn't appear in upcoming features in UI2.0

#2 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

I dont think this type of feature falls inline with the intent that each mech is laoded out and equipped on it's own.

modules suffer this the worst, buying more than 2 modules of everything is almost a total waste as once you have lots of mechs module hunting alone can be insane.

#3 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:40 AM

I don't see the point of loading out each mech on its own. People are going to strip and share equipment anyway, why make it such a painful process.

The developers would WANT people to buy more mechs and mech bays with MCs. So making it a painless process to outfit mechs should be a priority

#4 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:44 AM

I agree. I think it would be nice if the loadout screen were linked to what you already have installed. Instead of showing zero in inventory and telling you to buy one, it could say 0 in inventory 8 Installed, would you like to uninstall one? Which one would you like to uninstall? something like that.

#5 Literally

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 21 October 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

I dont [sic] think this type of feature falls inline [sic] with the intent that each mech is laoded [sic] out and equipped on it's [sic] own.

This is completely wrong.

The right way to think about it is that people already save cbills by moving parts between mechs, so there is no reason for PGI to make it into a chore. Therefore, we should have mech loadouts, and the devs have mentioned this recently.

Even though you've given no proof that it's the 'intent' of the developers, you assume that we should live in a role-play universe where each mech is equipped separately. Well, if we are roleplaying, then I'm roleplaying that I have two dozen mechs and enough mechanics to maintain them. In which case, keeping an inventory and moving equipment around is really not a big revolutionary idea.

#6 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

why not make your own list..paper pencil .. not hard..if the current system bothers you that much

#7 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

If you have more than 20 mechs but only one AC/10, you've done something wrong along the way.

#8 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostLiterally, on 22 October 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

This is completely wrong.

The right way to think about it is that people already save cbills by moving parts between mechs, so there is no reason for PGI to make it into a chore. Therefore, we should have mech loadouts, and the devs have mentioned this recently.

Even though you've given no proof that it's the 'intent' of the developers, you assume that we should live in a role-play universe where each mech is equipped separately. Well, if we are roleplaying, then I'm roleplaying that I have two dozen mechs and enough mechanics to maintain them. In which case, keeping an inventory and moving equipment around is really not a big revolutionary idea.

That may be so, but it's the way it is, and given the devs statements I doubt it will change.

#9 Literally

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

If you acknowledge that I am correct, then why did you bother posting here with your opinion about what is and isn't "inline" with the "intended" game behavior?

#10 Xanquil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:11 AM

Wait.. So am I the only one that has all their mechs fully equipped and ready to go?

#11 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostXanquil, on 23 October 2013 - 12:11 AM, said:

Wait.. So am I the only one that has all their mechs fully equipped and ready to go?

All my mechs are stripped until they are about to drop and then stripped out after.

I seldom drop with the same exact loadout cause I always experiment with builds

Edited by knightsljx, 23 October 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#12 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

I leave most of my mechs stripped as well, for the same reasons: I don't have to buy 20-30 of something which allows me to get more chassis and upgrades and because I like to constantly change loadouts. I also play with different mechs all the time. I might have 3-4 mechs with loadouts that I recently played.

#13 Galil Nain

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

Biggest problem I see with this suggestion is the degree of coding likely to be involved, bearing in mind you no longer need to just lock the mech(s) that are in drops (possibly, under CW, on a dropship to a Planetary Conquest mission for several hours/days/whatever), but would also need to lock the weapons attached to it and thereby prevent those profiles that use it from being selectable.

Don't get me wrong... entirely possible to code, and would be an ideal addition (would like to see the same for camo/decals so you could have several configs for appearance and choose which when you know where you're dropping... after all, in a real war, would you really select your camo BEFORE you deploy, especially if you have several sets suited to different terrains to choose from??), but given the complexity, I see it being considered as (very) low priority.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users