X5 Cicada Good/bad ?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

Well im mostly into assault/heavies, but I got the Cicada 3M.
And i just might get my first Hero mech to grind some cash.

Its on sale right now.

the 2 missile slot seems good, hows the mech? im more into fighting than scouting.

#2 operator0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

It's an average mech. Keep in mind, it doesn't have an AMS slot, so you cannot equip AMS on this mech....ever. The only mech in the game without one. That being said, it's not too bad. Fun if you run it right.

#3 BlackIronTarkus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationBehind you, breathing on your neck.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

Why the hell would you want an AMS on a mech that run 133.7 kph to 147.0 kph stock? If you fail to get under cover or outrun LRM with that speed maybe you should consider playing an atlas.

#4 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

I liked it after I learned to play it and killed more than I died. 2 SRM 4s and the 4 MLs are really nice to have handy in combat versus heavier opponents. If you do that, you'll have to carry 2 tons of SRM 4 ammo, but you can run it with an XL 330 like that. It will run hot, and that's pretty much guaranteed, but getting the 3M on your part was a really good choice.

It's basically a light medium that has a decent amount of survivability, and all the weapons are pretty easy to aim (since you have no arms, really.)

Key tips: Weave in and out of cover. Don't circlestrafe.

Edited by Vaskadar, 21 October 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#5 operator0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostBlackIronTarkus, on 21 October 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

Why the hell would you want an AMS on a mech that run 133.7 kph to 147.0 kph stock? If you fail to get under cover or outrun LRM with that speed maybe you should consider playing an atlas.

To kill streaks.

#6 LORD TSARKON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 776 posts
  • LocationButtmunch City

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

View PostBlackIronTarkus, on 21 October 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

Guess you did not play this game during LRM ARMAGEDDON 2 during Memorial Day Weekend 2013... when LRMS where super Buffed and crazy fast and deadly flight path... you would DIE in seconds even BEHIND Cover (missiles had extreme Arch Flight path)

#7 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

Well I have run my X-5 quite a bit, their is even a thread full of builds one may want to take... Is it the strongest thing ever? No. Is it interesting to play with? Yes.

#8 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

Thanks alot for the link, i went and cashed it out,
Not so great success yet, but its mostly for something different and im used to brawling in heavier mechs.
I really felt i wanted the streaks after a run with stock build so i changed to streaks and Bap after cutting some armor :/

The guide said i should change to a alittle smaller engine(and keep .5ton armor)
Thats probably better but its quite expensive so il use what i got.

#9 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

The X5 is ultimately a Jenner-D that's fatter/bigger and lacks JJs... besides the missing AMS.

Still, the stock build is more or less optimal.

#10 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 503 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

Running 2 streaks 2 medium lasers and 2 medium pulse lasers and I get fairly good scores with it. But ofc 3M is way better due ECM. If you have 3M and like Cicadas, buy it and consider mastering them all because you need speed tweak for em.

Also, I heard somewhere that XL300 would be the optimal engine for it and I use it with that build. Consider using it.

Edited by Samziel, 21 October 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#11 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

2xLL and 2xSSRm2 running at 124.7 KPH with speed tweak. It's got 47% cooling so I can fire all day (41% with ERLL instead). Using an XL280 with 2 tons ammo. If you want 1 ton ammo for the streaks you can put in an XL295 for 131.4 KPH.

#12 Defalus

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

I have 1.9 k/d ratio on my x5 and average 400 damage per game. I find it to be awesome. I run two ssrm 2s and 4 mediu mlasers on it along with the stock engine.

#13 Xyuni

• PipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:06 AM

I think the Cicada X5 is not as good as a Jenner.... because it lacks JJs....

It's also bigger, so it's easier to be hit.

#14 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

Kind of underpowered when your options are just 4 ML's and 2XSSRM2's on a relatively large 40 ton medium.

#15 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:31 AM

View PostTahribator, on 23 October 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

Kind of underpowered when your options are just 4 ML's and 2XSSRM2's on a relatively large 40 ton medium.

You could run 2xLRM15s and a pair of medium lasers with a tag... But you'd be slow...
Or paired LLs and paired MLs...
Or dual PPCs..
Or 4xML and 2xSRM6...
Or... well I think I made my point, while the 'upgraded stock' 4xML+2xSSRM2 is very common their are lots of configs you can run on an X-5...

#16 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

Of course you can. Though, anything other than the usual 4ML+2SSRM2/SRM2 and you're comprimising on either speed or armor. Both of which will make you light food.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users