5 replies to this topic

#1 StainlessSR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSunShine State

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:52 AM

There should be a min distance that arm mounted weapons can converge.

Being chest to chest with a mech and having the arm mounted weapons on the enemy mech that stick over your shoulder hitting you in the center torso is not realistic. If a mech is torso to torso to another mech, the torso mounted weapons should be the only one's that should hit the torso of the opposite mech.

#2 Boris The Spider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:53 AM

Most certainly in the case of mechs without articulated arms... but this is just another side effect of the convergence not working as it should.

#3 FinsT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:14 AM

Well, i'd imagine that ideally, arms-based weapon convergence would be limited by arms' max angles naturally, plus by collision detection. I.e., if two 'mech are literally hugging each other so much that an arm can't turn enough to point to the torso because it "hits" some part of an enemy mech in the middle of turning to required position (which would be within max arm turn angle), - well, then collision detection would stop the arm's turn.

And, ideally, i'd imagine that arms-mounted weapons should still be allowed to hit a torso of an enemy if above conditions are not an obstacle to it. Say, imagine, for an example, a Stalker with its "long" side torso section (from back to front), and imagine a "wide" assault mech such as Awesome "hugging" that Stalker. Would Awesome's arm be able to turn enough to point to back part of the Stalker's side torso? Probably yes. That arm would probably even "touch" Stalker's side torso with its "hand", - but i fail to see how that fact should prevent Awesome's pilot from using his arms' mounted lasers from drilling some holes in Stalker's side torso... :D

Edited by FinsT, 22 October 2013 - 05:17 AM.

#4 StainlessSR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSunShine State

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:35 AM

Most definitely, in the case of an awsome and a stalker the awsome should be able to hit the side torso's, but that same awsome being face to face with a hunch should not be able to use arm weapons to hit center torso on the hunch. It should be figured with collision and body models just like you stated, otherwise it is just making placement of weapon hard points in close engagements meaningless. I have shot a commando that was under my nose (I was in a stalker) with my side lasers, soo should not happen.

#5 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:38 AM

this is an old discussion, I do agree but not seeing it being changed anytime soon.

#6 FinsT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:44 AM

True and true again, Cybermech.

I guess it's OK if now and then this old discussion is quickly remade once again, - who knows, may be it'll make the solution to it to arrive sooner (or even, at all). At least, one can hope so. Please don't start about pink glasses if you'd want to... Sometimes i like to see through 'em pink glasses, for a while at least. %)

Edited by FinsT, 22 October 2013 - 05:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users