- - - - -

Lrm-Only-Builds: Don´t Do It!

38 replies to this topic

#21 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

Having been driving an Awesome Lrm boat for quite some time, the OP is quite correct about ensuring you allways keep some close range weapons on board, I find a pair of Med lasers usually suffices.

More importantly though to anyone considering a career in LRM's is to never leave home without Tag and Artemis installed.. Its expensive but definitely worth it.

Keep practicing and the component destruction/kills/tag/spotting bonuses will roll in.

Edited by Rascula, 24 October 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#22 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

If you don`t know what you`re doing in a pure LRM boat and /or are a slowass ****, then the OP is absolutely right. Being on a team in TS helps, but is not essential.

If however your LRM boat runs 80+ and has JJS, combined with proper situational awareness and module selection, and you do know how to play it, then for the most part nothing but lights will be able to close to less than 180m in the first place, and you will be close enough to your team to have them within swatting range in a few seconds.

For general purpose use, a Catapult A1 w/ 6xLRM5, XL300, JJs, 14 DHS, beagle and 2500+ missiles > just about any other LRM boat configuration. Artemis is nice for the lock times (doesn`t help grouping much on 5s), but IMO it takes away to much ammo. In this config, if you`re not launching missiles at something, regardless of what it is, you`re either repositioning, cooling off, or doing something wrong. And with the torso twist of the cat, repositioning is only a partly valid excuse.

Unless you want to go for the "biggest cloud wins" mentality and use a Battlemaster, Awesome ,or Stalker (which ironiocally enough the A1 can also do "better" than anything else, but it sacrifices too much to pump out those huge 90 missile clouds. But 60 is still somewhat feasible).

Edited by Zerberus, 24 October 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#23 Warge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

View PostFat Amy, on 23 October 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

NEVER DO IT.

That its.

Commando COM-3A: 2*LRM5 + TAG + 1ML. K/D ratio =1.14 and it's growing up. ;)

Edited by Warge, 24 October 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#24 D3athScyth3

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

Hi All,

I tend to use LRM's a fair bit, have since MW3. as other shave stated if you play it smart they can be a lot of fun and very competitive, even in pug matchs

I have tried a few LRM builds since closed beta and my fav by far so far is the ON1-V :

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6e2d37264c1847a

So far only played 29 matchs but kills per round are antything from 1-5, dmg always 500+ (for interest w/l is 2.65 and kpd is 5.71) total dmg after 29 rouns is just over 12k

As an LRM build i believe you kpd should not exist, you should focus on dmg/round this is the sign of a truley good LRM build. Your primary role is to supress and soften targets at range so your brawlers (front line) mechs can drop them faster. if i do sub 500dmg in any lrm build i havnt been pulling my weight for the team.

I hope that orion helps some of you out, its fast, has excellent punch and has been known to drop a few adventurous lights with the dual med ;)

Main tactic for that build is to sit back behind the main bunch and cover, if a teammate tags that is your priority target. i also found announcing at the start of the round to your team you are an lrm mech and happy to fire support on designated targets helps. You will find in most cases anyone carrying a tag will light up enemy mechs and if people are in trouble they will call out a grid and mech reference for assistance.

#25 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

Please don't use assaults to make LRM boats... ;) Assaults lead the charge!

#26 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 24 October 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

Please don't use assaults to make LRM boats... ;) Assaults lead the charge!

Not when you are in an Awesome you dont.

#27 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

View Postxengk, on 24 October 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

Not when you are in an Awesome you dont.

heheheheh ;) but they are so AWESOME!

Edited by MavRCK, 24 October 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#28 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

I find that adding a seismic sensor helps to provide early warning of light mechs around the corner to avoid them, part of the dance.

I also notice that certain mechs fire in sequential (Stalker) rather than volley (Awesome). E.g. For Stalker, LRM 15 fires in 3 rounds of 5 missiles each. (Am I correct?)

Was wondering that if fired in sequential whether AMS is more effective. and as such, there are actually platforms that are more effective (e.g. Awesome) that fires all LRMS in one volley.

#29 RavenGenesis

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

all LRM slots are better off with SRMs in a PUG, since late game can get a big snuggle fest of people... shot gun blasting ppl at their broken arms and legs is critical compared to LRMs that gets countered so easily by terrain, then by AMS, then by ECMs

#30 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

I find having a top speed of at least 80kph helps a lot running an all lrm build. It allows one to keep heavies and assualts outside of the min range. It also allows one to quickly reposition in order ton make sure lrms land on target. Finally, with the sped, if beset upon by lights, its usually enough to get you back into the protective company of friends.

#31 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

View PostZerberus, on 24 October 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

If you don`t know what you`re doing in a pure LRM boat and /or are a slowass ****, then the OP is absolutely right. Being on a team in TS helps, but is not essential.

If however your LRM boat runs 80+ and has JJS, combined with proper situational awareness and module selection, and you do know how to play it, then for the most part nothing but lights will be able to close to less than 180m in the first place, and you will be close enough to your team to have them within swatting range in a few seconds.

For general purpose use, a Catapult A1 w/ 6xLRM5, XL300, JJs, 14 DHS, beagle and 2500+ missiles > just about any other LRM boat configuration. Artemis is nice for the lock times (doesn`t help grouping much on 5s), but IMO it takes away to much ammo. In this config, if you`re not launching missiles at something, regardless of what it is, you`re either repositioning, cooling off, or doing something wrong. And with the torso twist of the cat, repositioning is only a partly valid excuse.

Unless you want to go for the "biggest cloud wins" mentality and use a Battlemaster, Awesome ,or Stalker (which ironiocally enough the A1 can also do "better" than anything else, but it sacrifices too much to pump out those huge 90 missile clouds. But 60 is still somewhat feasible).

If your running lrm5 you do not need Artemis, does nothing the lrms are already tight. Now the bigger mechs can do lrms better! My choice for pure lrm in an assault is the Highlander:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6c7b8965eed1a28

#32 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:42 AM

So you can you fit 2 LRM 5's, and Tag on a Locust 3S....

Its still crappy but quite a lot of fun and possibly the only LRM mech that's fast enough to get away with not running some sort of defensive weaponry!

#33 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:44 AM

View PostPraetor Shepard, on 23 October 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

When I use LRMs, I don't really expect to do damage with them most of the time.

But they are good for sending enemy mechs to cover due to the LRM warning, at least to stop one or two from firing for a few moments; sometimes it can turn the tide if enough retreat to cover and the void is taken advantage of by friendlies.

I only use one lrm heavy build. It's a golden boy with 5 lrm 5s. I onyl use this when playing with my specific lance within my clan. It's used as a semi cc/suppression build for helping out 2 of my lance. That long stream of missiles usually makes even the biggest assault run for cover or be so distracted he is meat for my buddies.

But for solo play? Not likely. Your pug mates usually can't hold a lock for more than 1 second due to them hiding 99% of the time:)
Prime example is yesterday, watched 5 friendly mechs run away from just 2 enemy mechs.....2!

#34 Kargarok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:00 AM

Oh gods no! Always pack something for backup! Just try not to fire it at the same time as your missiles or overheating will be an issue. ;)

STK-3H: 2-LRM20's, 2-LRM10's, 3-ML's, and a TAG

Most of my kills with it come from the lasers when the little ******** try to get all up in my grill. Plus keeping the TAG on them helps with my teammates missiles as well, even if they are PUGgers. :huh:

#35 Thipequz

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:18 AM

My opinion is only to run with LRM's as a support to an otherwise laser or ballistics heavy mech. Reason is because you will learn the game a lot quicker. I understand that being a good LRM boat requires a certain set of skills (something I lack admittedly), but as a beginner I feel that jumping straight into an LRM60-80 build will just make your gameplay sloppy and lazy, as all you will have to do is lock on and fire. I believe running a light or medium mech first, is the best way to learn, you get used to the controls quickly, as you get used to the idea that if you stop you die, you get used to aiming, being accurate and managing your heat, as you will undoubtably spend a lot of time fighting other light quick mechs, and if you can't hit them, they will hit you, and you will die. You will also become far more situationally aware, as if you run round the wrong corner, you will die.

I reckon once you have nailed those three aspects, you will have learnt enough basic skills to be an effective (of sorts) LRM boat, regardless of short ranged weapons or not.

#36 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

Do I qualify as an LRM Boat!

RVN-4X

Oh, and if you wish to be Support for Cats.. RVN-3L

It should be noted that the right arm LRM5 through the NARC launcher actually is a troll to burn off AMS ammo. It is never meant to damage your opponent. Each shot of AMS is 15 shots. Each shot of lrm through that launcher is 1 missile. So, in theory, 1 launch from that launcer could take out 75 AMS ammo per mech in the area.

Edited by Macbrea, 25 October 2013 - 07:20 AM.

#37 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostMacbrea, on 25 October 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

Do I qualify as an LRM Boat!

RVN-4X

Oh, and if you wish to be Support for Cats.. RVN-3L

It should be noted that the right arm LRM5 through the NARC launcher actually is a troll to burn off AMS ammo. It is never meant to damage your opponent. Each shot of AMS is 15 shots. Each shot of lrm through that launcher is 1 missile. So, in theory, 1 launch from that launcer could take out 75 AMS ammo per mech in the area.

Is it 15? I had wondered. Thanks.

#38 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

I think due to the quick succession of shots from the LRM5 going thru the 1 tube the AMS wont be able to fire on every missle. (haven't verified it though) but it might be able to get 2 or 3. But either way it is a good way to burn thru AMS ammo.

#39 Navy Sixes

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

Also, when you supliment your LRMs with good close range capability, you find yourself moving up, finding your own targets, and unlocking the LRMs real potential as a solid skirmishing weapon. At 300m, targets don't have time to find cover (your missiles will hit before their Betty finishes her sentence) and it's easier to maneuver while maintaining TAG/LOS. At 250m, you can dump mlasers and SRMs, along with those fat LRM salvos, all over them.

The results can be impressive...
Posted Image
That's a "garbage" C4 running LRM30, some srms, and medium lasers... solo in the PUG.

Edited by Tycho von Gagern, 25 October 2013 - 09:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users