[Suggestion] Merc Corp/clan Paint Scheme's

71 replies to this topic

Poll: [Suggestion] Merc Corp/clan Paint Scheme's (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Please read the post and vote either yes or no to the idea.

1. Yes (30 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. No (6 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:20 AM

OK so what I would like to see is the ability for the leader of a Merc Corp (or Clan) to be able to purchase (with real money of course) a design and paint scheme that all members of that Corp can wear on their Mech's for no cost.

My reason for wanting this is because as a Merc Corp you can't force people to spend real money on this game. Even people who are willing to spend real money probably would not like to pay to use someone else's design. If you try to do that you could end up seeing your Merc Corp lose members real quickly.

Now I realise that this can't be done until CW hit's and we can actually join our Merc Corp's in game but it'll be cool if in 12 man drops we all look the same.

You could even have multiple paint scheme's for different maps (forest, snow, desert, etc.) for when we are able to choose the map we drop on.

I also think that this should be fairly expensive as your effectively selling paint to multiple players for a one off cost.

Also in an attempt to combat the "well that would stop anyone from giving PGI money for new paint" response, well you could make it so that the paint scheme would only work in 12 man drops and players will still have to buy paint and pattern's outside of the official missions.

EDIT: OK so the post is still going strong after several weeks so I wanted to put an edit here to add some suggestions so people see everything and get a good idea so they can vote accordingly.

So what this idea does is allow a Merc Corp commander the ability to pay a sum of MC (we came up with a purely placeholder figure of 10000) to create a paint job using the currently available pattern's and colours in Mechwarrior Online.
The figure we suggested can be split between several members of the Merc Corp in the same way as the Corp creation system will work (180 million c-bills split between 10 players).
What happens then is every player in the Merc Corp can go to his/her hanger and paint any one of their mech's with that paint scheme without having to pay any money. They can not change the pattern or the colour and they do not have access to those colours to use as they wish on other mech's. The player will only have access to this design while they are in the Merc Corp and if they leave the Corp, they will also lose the design on their mech's (their mech will return to drab olive green).
A Merc Corp can have as many design's as they wish as long as they pay the fee for each design and therefore can have different camo's for the specific map they are dropping on (when we get to choose our map before our Mech).

Hopefully this clears up the idea. Happy voting.

Bumping cause we have just been giving info about creating Unit's.

Edited by Corralis, 19 June 2014 - 06:55 AM.

#2 fandre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:37 AM

Maybe the leader can purchase a design and scheme as a package with discount, depending on the number of players which can use it. For example a package for 12 player is cheaper as for 4 per player.

#3 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

View Postfandre, on 24 October 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

Maybe the leader can purchase a design and scheme as a package with discount, depending on the number of players which can use it. For example a package for 12 player is cheaper as for 4 per player.

Yea I could see it working that way as well.

#4 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

Well the few people who have voted all like the idea, that must be a first.

Still I wouldn't mind a few comments or suggestion to improve upon the idea. Need to make the thread bigger to make the Dev's see it ;)

#5 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

I agree. Forcing a personal MC commitment to be a part of the team would hurt membership. In MW4 plenty of us had unit rules for aesthetics and I would assume most would like to continue that trend.

I think what would be the best approach would be a "unit camo" upgrade package paid for by the group leader. That package could include a couple of basic camo patterns and 3 colors. Anyone that joined the unit would have access to those camos and colors. If they left the unit, they lose access to the pretties. When/if decals become a thing, I think the same for those -- leader pays to upload the decal, other members of the unit have access to it.

Good idea, Corralis.

#6 FinsT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

Seems i am the 1st to vote "no". Sigh... Here's why.

First, such a purchase - whatever is the price, - would be unfair for leaders of small units, because in effect they are paying much more money "per member who gets the paint" in compare to leaders of large units. And there is no way around this in practice, i guess.

Second, this will definitely spawn "fake" units - i.e. units which leaders buy some cool paint as their units' colors, and then offer people to join the "unit" with the only goal being to get the cool paint for free. These can grow real large, but most/all members of it would still be playing separately. Why exactly they would be allowed some nice paint for free, while any usual customer has to pay for any paint other than default colors?

Third, all 12 'mech looking the same - is of course nice, but then, we are not talking about any "army" unit; don't forget, that's "mercenaries". In real life, mercenaries who form some sort of a unit - sometimes look the same, but very often, do not; exactly because they lack means and motives to be "uniformed". Frequently used approach is to add some "mark", some "feature" to members of the unit, - say, particular head wear, or certain color to one of shoulders, etc.

Fourth, yes, the feature you propose might completely kill many players' need/desire to get any other paint. If they are _required_ by their unit's leadership to "wear" unit's colors - then hy bother about any other? And the only thing you propose in an attempt to address this issue, - is by itself questionable; i mean, why exactly less-than-12 group of people from the same unit - would not be using unit's color? They are still part of their unit. They still represent it. In my book, if units would indeed have their paint schemes, then _any_ group, even 2 people, - and even _single_ players, - should be allowed to wear their unit colors. To represent it, you know?

Bottom line? May be unit-specific paint scheme is an overkill. It ain't an army, after all. How about doing what is proposed by OP - but not with paint schemes and colors, but with some additional _detail_ to any possible paint scheme, - for example, a small areas of the mech being painted with unit's colors (or, having unit's emblem) which every member of the unit would be able to "wear" on his 'mech upper arms, outer sides of both legs (hips), and mech's front and back CT?

Cheers!

#7 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

I'm not sure if you would actually see this abused. You have to put up something like 18 million cbills to get a commission, and that's from each player that joins the unit. I may have the exact details of that wrong, but I know given the current game economy that's a LOT of personal time invested now. I don't think people would be paying that simply to get access to a few colors.

#8 FinsT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

Oh, well, i thouht 18 millions x 12 applies only upon _creation_ of the unit; i thought that even 1 guy, or perhaps 2 guys, could make the unit provided they have sufficient c-bills (~18M x12) to buy required 12 comissions. I thought that inviting more members into already existing unit - would be free.

That's what i felt would be the case after reading what we were told by PGI about how merc units would work...

And i know a few guys who play long enough to have couple hundreds millions c-bills they have no good idea what to do with. Few of such people could create such units, give default ranks "invite powers", - and the thing would snowball itself.

Of course it all is not set in stone yet, and might change.

Edited by FinsT, 25 October 2013 - 07:26 AM.

#9 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostFinsT, on 24 October 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

Seems i am the 1st to vote "no". Sigh... Here's why.

First, such a purchase - whatever is the price, - would be unfair for leaders of small units, because in effect they are paying much more money "per member who gets the paint" in compare to leaders of large units. And there is no way around this in practice, i guess.

Second, this will definitely spawn "fake" units - i.e. units which leaders buy some cool paint as their units' colors, and then offer people to join the "unit" with the only goal being to get the cool paint for free. These can grow real large, but most/all members of it would still be playing separately. Why exactly they would be allowed some nice paint for free, while any usual customer has to pay for any paint other than default colors?

Third, all 12 'mech looking the same - is of course nice, but then, we are not talking about any "army" unit; don't forget, that's "mercenaries". In real life, mercenaries who form some sort of a unit - sometimes look the same, but very often, do not; exactly because they lack means and motives to be "uniformed". Frequently used approach is to add some "mark", some "feature" to members of the unit, - say, particular head wear, or certain color to one of shoulders, etc.

Fourth, yes, the feature you propose might completely kill many players' need/desire to get any other paint. If they are _required_ by their unit's leadership to "wear" unit's colors - then hy bother about any other? And the only thing you propose in an attempt to address this issue, - is by itself questionable; i mean, why exactly less-than-12 group of people from the same unit - would not be using unit's color? They are still part of their unit. They still represent it. In my book, if units would indeed have their paint schemes, then _any_ group, even 2 people, - and even _single_ players, - should be allowed to wear their unit colors. To represent it, you know?

Bottom line? May be unit-specific paint scheme is an overkill. It ain't an army, after all. How about doing what is proposed by OP - but not with paint schemes and colors, but with some additional _detail_ to any possible paint scheme, - for example, a small areas of the mech being painted with unit's colors (or, having unit's emblem) which every member of the unit would be able to "wear" on his 'mech upper arms, outer sides of both legs (hips), and mech's front and back CT?

Cheers!

I want to address these concerns first because you do make some very good points. First off what I am suggesting is not a price depending on how many people are in your Corp, it's a one off cost that could maybe be spread around the unit similar to the money needed to create your Merc Corp in the first place. Let's say purely for example's sake that the unified scheme will cost 10000MC, yes that's a significant amount of money for 1 person, but spread that cost to 10 people in your Corp and it's significantly less. But that would be the only cost that wouldn't matter if you had a 10 man Corp or a 500 man Corp.

Your second point about 'fake' units is a genuine concern but remember that the individual players do not get access to the colours themselves to use on any mech they like. It's simply a design that is toggled on or off by the group leader in 12 man drops and only when all 12 players are members of the Corp. I don't think people would join for the sole reason of getting fancy colours on their mech's that they have no real control of.

Your third point about all 12 mech's wouldn't look the same in a Merc Corp. Well I would have thought that maybe the smaller, newer Corp's probably would not be able to do this but the larger in lore Corp's almost definitely would have unified colours cause they could afford to (just how this system re-creates).

Your fourth concern is very difficult to address because it really depends on the leaders of the Merc Corp forcing players to wear their colours which in itself could cause some animosity. That is why I suggested that it's only an option in the large 12 man competitive drops. If the individual Merc Corp does not wish to impose those rules on their Corp then they don't buy the colour scheme.

Lastly your idea for a unit emblem would also be very cool and even cooler when combined with a unified paint scheme but I believe that they will be adding in decals in the (near?) future and that should allow for user submitted decals for your own army unit.

The points you raise are by no means invalid and if I had thought of all of those scenarios when making the original post I would have tried to address them at that stage. But it takes someone to highlight the negative points before you realise that there are any negative points to argue so thanks for that.

View PostFinsT, on 25 October 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

Oh, well, i thouht 18 millions x 12 applies only upon _creation_ of the unit; i thought that even 1 guy, or perhaps 2 guys, could make the unit provided they have sufficient c-bills (~18M x12) to buy required 12 comissions. I thought that inviting more members into already existing unit - would be free.

That's what i felt would be the case after reading what we were told by PGI about how merc units would work...

And i know a few guys who play long enough to have couple hundreds millions c-bills they have no good idea what to do with. Few of such people could create such units, give default ranks "invite powers", - and the thing would snowball itself.

Of course it all is not set in stone yet, and might change.

From what I read you must have 10 members each paying 18 million c-bills to create your unit. Only then can you start to invite other players for free.

#10 Syrkres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

I see this as decals rather than individual paint schemas.

Individual patterns would be too costly and time developing.

Where as a decal is much more generic in that it can easily be placed on existing (or new) patterns.

If you can't design your own decal then I suggest the ability to "create" in game. Most new games have a "banner" or "Tabard" generator, where you can select different icons add color and other elements.

This would allow them to create standard icons and placement while giving groups the ability to customize them.

The only problem I see is with many of the other "sets" within MWO is the variety. If the icon selection is poor or too limited you would get too many of the same.

#11 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

View PostSyrkres, on 25 October 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

I see this as decals rather than individual paint schemas.

Individual patterns would be too costly and time developing.

Where as a decal is much more generic in that it can easily be placed on existing (or new) patterns.

If you can't design your own decal then I suggest the ability to "create" in game. Most new games have a "banner" or "Tabard" generator, where you can select different icons add color and other elements.

This would allow them to create standard icons and placement while giving groups the ability to customize them.

The only problem I see is with many of the other "sets" within MWO is the variety. If the icon selection is poor or too limited you would get too many of the same.

Ahh this raises another point I should have already mentioned. I am not suggesting that an individual can create their own paint scheme from scratch. What I was suggesting is that a player can create a pattern and colour scheme from the currently available schemes that is then used. I think if you look at the amount of patterns and colours we have right now that you wouldn't very often see multiple Merc Corp's with the exact same paint scheme.

#12 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

What if you when you started a Merc corp, you choose 3 colours to be the colours of the Corp. Pilots have the option to use those colours for free, as long as they are a member of the Merc corp. When you quit the corp, your access to those colours goes too (unless you already owned them). Camo pattern is still up to the individual pilot based on what they own etc.

#13 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

I suggested an idea like this back in CB. Have a marketplace where players can pay an MC fee to upload camo, logos, decals, etc. to sale to other players for c-bills. So, for example, Merc Unit A wants a custom unit logo done. I design the logo, pay an MC fee to upload and then sell it to them for an agreed upon price. In the case of mass orders (Like wanting it for every player in their unit) I could set up the price to accommodate that as well. It encourages MC sales and lets players have a new way to earn c-bills as well as allowing some customization to merc units and such

#14 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

No. Everybody and their dog would make a merc corp to get a free color scheme.

#15 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostModo44, on 25 October 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

Yes, because everyone and their dog has 216 000 000 CBills to throw at having 3 colours

Edited by cSand, 25 October 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#16 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

Yes. Divided by 12, that is easily manageable.

#17 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostModo44, on 25 October 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

and even if they did?

#18 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

Any removal of MC requirements directly undercuts the game's business model, so it would be stupid of PGI to do it.

#19 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostModo44, on 25 October 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

Any removal of MC requirements directly undercuts the game's business model, so it would be stupid of PGI to do it.

And yet I fail to see how that is our concern. If it's content we want, it's their job to figure out how to profit from it, not ours. If it's not profitable, we probably don't get it.

#20 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostModo44, on 25 October 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

Soooooo make it an MC purchase and limit the number of times an account can do it. It's not hard to come up with ways to make it profitable and ways to prevent just getting free stuff through exploiting a mechanic. I cam up with that particular idea in just a few seconds. If I can do that, then surely a multi-million dollar company can come up with an idea on how to make it work

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users