5 replies to this topic

#1 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

In the current UI, but more importantly even in the new UI I am bothered by the existing "Firepower" statistic. I'm guessing it actually means Alpha damage, but I doubt many people get that. I recommend renaming this to "Alpha Damage" so it actually makes sense to just be a damage total if you fired all of your weapons at once and they did 100% damage. While at it, the max of 175 makes no sense, even the most heavily loaded out mechs are quite a bit under 100. I recommend changing the max on this scale to 100, or something more sane in the new UI.

But since alpha damage alone isn't incredibly useful, I recommend also adding a DPS statistic to the screen. It makes sense, that is all. Thanks!

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 24 October 2013 - 07:33 AM.

#2 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

The key to your request is "in the current UI". I doubt they'll be making any updates to the current UI. Wait for UI2.0 and see what happens.

#3 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

View PostTastian, on 24 October 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

The key to your request is "in the current UI". I doubt they'll be making any updates to the current UI. Wait for UI2.0 and see what happens.

Yes, this was my intention obviously. I clarified it because the new UI is coming out very soon.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 24 October 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#4 FinsT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 24 October 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

... the max of 175 makes no sense, even the most heavily loaded out mechs are quite a bit under 100. I recommend changing the max on this scale to 100, or something more sane in the new UI.

175 is probably the theoretical maximum. Not sure how they get to 175 precisely, but here's 145 alpha Stalker i made in a minute: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e5fc09196eb74b2 .

It even has enough ammo to do that 145 alpha more than once - but, yeah, twice x145 is all there is a tonnage for. :) It'd be 71 heat generated by that alpha, which would definitely put this monster into overheating shutdown even firing from totally cold state, inflict major damage to its CT due to long overheating shutdown, but it possibly would survive the 1st one to be able to make the 2nd. May be. MAy be not. :lol: And yes, it has no armor. Why does it need it, if it dies after 2 alphas max? %)

And yes, it has XL100 engine. Why hurry if running to the battle means quick death (after firing an alpha or two)? At the speed of 21 kPh, the pilot at least has ample time to enjoy some scenery before getting roasted alive in this walking grill maker.

Wouldn't it be an awesome machine of death? "Firepower" stat tells it would be. "Alpha" stat would do the same. Jokes aside, i'd simply remove Firepower/Alpha, because it's all very subjective and variable from player to player, leaving only DPS to be shown.

Edited by FinsT, 24 October 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#5 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

Alpha alone doesnt tell very much and it encourages cheese builds and boats is what PGI is actively balancing against.

Firepower is just "ok" as long as we know what criteria is being measured and how. For UI1.5 it will do. For UI2.0 Id like to see the Firepower turned into a measurement (straight dps) then displayed graphically in increments of range - short, med, and long. Perhaps with a simple line similar with 1.5's but by range with color denoting damage (e.g. brawler loadout would be red to the left and get more green and blue to the right showing high damage at close range etc..). Having a secondary graph plot (similar to the graphs for each weapon shown in Bryan's UI2.0 demo) but for the whole load out so it would show dps graphed based on range. All this should also be available in the "change load out" section of the mechlab because thats where its most useful.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 24 October 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#6 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

View PostFinsT, on 24 October 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

175 is probably the theoretical maximum. Not sure how they get to 175 precisely, but here's 145 alpha Stalker i made in a minute: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e5fc09196eb74b2 .
Wouldn't it be an awesome machine of death? "Firepower" stat tells it would be. "Alpha" stat would do the same. Jokes aside, i'd simply remove Firepower/Alpha, because it's all very subjective and variable from player to player, leaving only DPS to be shown.

Funny build to be sure, but they can and should base the maximum not based on the jokingly/trollingly useless maximum and pick a realistic number.

Thing is though that DPS alone isn't sufficient, because many builds can do very well with high alpha but low DPS. Dual Gauss for instance is less DPS than dual AC10, but the alpha is 50% higher. Thats not unimportant.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 24 October 2013 - 09:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users