A Smarter Way To Ferro-Fibrous

8 replies to this topic

Poll: What change(s) would you support for FF? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

What change(s) would you support for FF?

1. Cheaper Price (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. Free Hotswap Ability After Puchase (4 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

3. Both (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

4. None (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CrashieJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

12% is mere pocket change compared to Endosteel...

Ferro Fiberous Armor is basically just armor, like Laser Reflective and Ballistic Armors later down the line.

PROBLEM: Ferro-Fiberous is too UnderPowered as a form of Weight savings device.

PROPOSED SOLUTIONS:

1. Cheaper Price: Ferro Fibrous costs quite a bit to mount and install, uninstalling is expensive too, right now lights and some mediums are able to make the most of it while

2. Hot Swap Ability: Ability to un/mount said armor from STD to FF.... FOR FREE. no charge. AFTER PURCHASE, all you need to do is change your loadout a bit and then rebuild to your liking. Really helps Mediums, Heavies and Assaults

pick one or both. leave your comments below.

Edited by gavilatius, 23 October 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#2 Blackfire1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

Currently because of the space needed to run Double Heat Sinks. (And you HAVE to run double. No reason not to) the slots really are just waste i my eyes.
Endosteel give a larger weight save. Running both takes all your slots. I find it pointless.

Edited by Blackfire1, 23 October 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#3 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

FF is a secondary upgrade after ES. It is good on some mechs, and not so good on others. No changes are needed.

#4 FinsT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:22 AM

True about it being good enough to use on some 'mech, and not on others. However, let's face it, FF is NEVER good enough on assault and most heavies currently, - while in the same time being good enough on nearly all lights. What sort of feature is that? Why exactly light class 'mech are to have FF armor, and assault are not to have it - lore-wise or whatever like that?

Help me here, please? 'cause myself, i don't see a hint of a point to this. %)

#5 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

View PostModo44, on 23 October 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

FF is a secondary upgrade after ES. It is good on some mechs, and not so good on others. No changes are needed.

There ought to be a reason to take FF instead of ES.

I'm not going to throw a fit about it, but I feel FF has always needed some love in that regard. Both ES and FF should be viable choices. It is fine if one is hands-down "better," but there should be a choice.

#6 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostKraven Kor, on 24 October 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

There ought to be a reason to take FF instead of ES.

Why? The choice is ES, or ES and FF. It is simply another upgrade level.

#7 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

View PostModo44, on 24 October 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

Why? The choice is ES, or ES and FF. It is simply another upgrade level.

Because I hate that every mech has the same exact essential upgrades. I hate 100% linear, mandatory progression.

A handful of mechs don't use Endo Steel, due to needing the slots, but beyond that, every Mech gets DHS and ES before you even really want to launch with it.

I want their to be more to those choices. I want a reason to fit SHS over DHS. I want ES vs. FF to be an actual choice, as it was intended to be. I want to see mechs that have FF but no ES, even if ES is still the "better option."

Honestly my recommendation would be to make "Max Armor" based on tonnage, not armor points. Let FF give your mech just a touch more armor rather than it being just a sub-standard weight-saver.

If ES gave you the most weight savings, while FF let you be just a bit better armored for the slots *or* to be as well-armored for less weight, it would be an actual choice, without it massively nerfing or replacing ES.

#8 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

I voted none, because I'd only be ok with Ferro Fibrous letting you go over the normal max armor. I don't think thats how it was in the table top, but seems like it could work here just fine.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 24 October 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#9 Detrimus

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

Neither of these options present a compelling reason to buy FF armor. Removing the swap cost, and making it cheaper STILL doesn't make it good or worth applying over Endosteel. Okay, maybe in the short run it does, but in a matter of permanence, these aren't helpful.

This is just one of those instances where PGI needs to break away from TT rules and create a more useful solution. In fact, I feel they should break away in most situations because the way a video game plays out versus a tabletop game are fundamentally different.

I appreciate when something honors and respects the source material it came from, but this game's balance is hampered the most when they adhere closely to TT rules. They have definitely veered in weapon values since induction into retail, which I am grateful, and I hope they see the value of continuing to do so when certain TT elements aren't translated in an effective way into the video game realm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users