Equalize Maps.

5 replies to this topic

#1 Foxfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Most maps have a 'better side' right now due to terrain differences... be it Alpine with the upper start point, Crimson City with the Northern base, Canyon Network, or Terra Therma with the(iirc) southwestern point being much more defensible than the other base... geometry needs to be balanced on the map to eliminate the inherent advantage that one sides receives over another.

#2 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

I have seen effective strategies that counter all those problems. however there are five base points on each map. four of them usable as starting points. So randomizing between tham at start would be cool. And a little less repetitous over time.

#3 Mindnut

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:36 AM

I have nothing against uneven odds as long as it's random. Just like 10 vs 12 - you have to adapt to the situation and try to win. There might be situations where you have no chances of wining at all, but trying is fun anyway.

#4 FinsT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

Yep. In fact, not just there is no need to adapt maps like OP suggests, - as long as on average any given pilot starts 50% of the time on "bad side" and other 50% of the time on "good side"; in fact, it would hurt a game a bit if maps would be equalized in such a way, because it'd make the game more boring.

Just like Mindnut said, trying to win while having a disadvantage, - is often interesting, no matter the result.

And i'll add: actually winning _despite_ being at a disadvantage, - most of the time is enjoyable much more than just "some usual win", you know? :huh:

It's just needed to keep maps' ends to be fairly similar in terms if teams' chances; the difference should not be huge. On most maps, it's indeed not too huge imho. Though recently i've noticed that on the map with a broken ship in the water, - is this "frozen colony snow" one?, - if the team spawns near that round "pile" of something, - then the team should not go water; if most/all of the team goes water side, it gets owned VERY badly most of the time, like 12-0 .... 12-3. Too few spots to cover, too open area from many angles. Been on both stomping end of the deal, and recieving-the-beating end also. Curiously, if the other team, - which spawns near some buildings, - gets into water and close to the same ship (just from the other side of it), - it usually manages to do quite OKish.

But may be it's just bad luck with teammates or something. Once when my team was beaten 12-2 in this manner, all teammates except my lancemates and me (was playing with friends) did ~100 or less damage (and we had few, if any, lights). Guess it's difficult to win with a team like that - on any map... :rolleyes:

Bottom line: naaah, i don't think it's needed to "equalize" sides of 'em maps any much; just make sure neither team gains HUGE advantage due to initial position, and it'll do. ;)

Edited by FinsT, 25 October 2013 - 06:54 AM.

#5 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

simple fix, 6 random drop points for each side so that you actually have to go look for the other team, On Alpine the upper team could start close to the Kappa point and the lower team could start close to Theta. Close together and would lead to a lot of fast and heavy combat once the two teams found each other.

Alternately, the upper team could drop behind the radio tower behind Epsilon and the other team again could drop halfway between Theta and Kappa. Far apart and would allow Scouts to do their jobs.

Drop points could have a Drop Ship with limited weapons to defend themselves from a sneaky light.

#6 Firewuff

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

I've got to disagree... there realy is no better side on most maps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users