15 replies to this topic

#1 Lucky Strongarm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

Just curious to hear how you guys spend your MC. I have a stash of MCs from my Founders purchase that I haven't spent. Is that best spent on MC-only mechs (considering an Ilya Muromet, for instance), or for premium time, or both or neither?

Thanks much.

#2 Waldex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

I would say avoid most Hero Mechs, possibly the Boars Head, or Misery if you are so inclined, but otherwise they are pretty weak. I spend mine exclusively on premium time and GXP conversion (only during double GXP conversion sales though).

Aside from that not much to do with it really. And never, ever buy mech's available for C-Bills with MC. It is a terrible waste.

#3 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

I think the best investment is Premium Time, as it improves the XP and C-Bills earned for every 'Mech you run. Colors are pretty good too, as they are usable on every 'Mech you buy as well. Of course, that assumes you like to paint your 'Mechs.

#4 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

I heard Ilya muromets is quite worth the investment. They say the triple AC/5 build makes it very deadly.

Otherwise I might as well say, buy any hero related chassis that you enjoy. For one, I really enjoy piloting centurions. YLW satisfied that need for a third and taught me how to effectively using my torsos.

#5 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Mech Bays, Hero Mechs, Premium Time

In that order.

#6 Pendraco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 469 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

For me Mech bays and Premium time is where I spend most of my MC. I also have no regrets in picking up a few Hero Mechs. Hero Mech + Premium = great C-Bill progression (even a loss can net you 150k fairly easy).

#7 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Mech Bays, Mech Bays, Mech Bays,, and maybe a specific color/pattern

All the rest you can just buy with C-Bills,

#8 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostKain, on 25 October 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

Mech Bays, Mech Bays, Mech Bays,, and maybe a specific color/pattern

All the rest you can just buy with C-Bills,

This would probably be the best value for your bucks. However, it will take quite a while to spend all of the MC if you are mainly investing into mech bays and paints.

To relate similarly, I have around 2k of MC in my current account. I'm planning to only invest them into mec bays ATM because I don't have a working income. That said, its been about a month since my last MC purchase and its taking a while to burn through my MC with mech bays. Only spent about 3 mech bays thus far.

My point is that, unless you are an extreme person who really wants to utilize the most out of your MC, you will eventually need maybe a hero mech and/or premium to speed through the grind. The question becomes whether you value time or full satisfaction with your current MC amount.

In the end, there isn't a true correct answer to your question. It's true, however, that spending MC on C-Bill-purchasable items (mech, color) even if discounted is a definite waste of MC investment. In the end, its how you spend your MC, going with the phrase "Your Mileage May Vary".

See you then and good luck on the battlefield :)

#9 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

I have only used MC once to buy Premium Time. However I sort of wasted it, because I didn't realize that bought Premium Time starts immediately after you buy it and the day after I had to work. Although it worked out in the end. The one free day of PT you get with the dowload, I was able to earn enough to get my Jenner F through Elites, and my Sarah's mech through a couple of basic skills. The three days of PT I was able to get enough to elite out my K and to master my Sarah's Jenner (and this with A LOT of losses).

PT from packages and deals need to be activated.

Mech bays are necessary if you want to own lots of mechs.

Hero Mechs seem to be a good deal because their bonuses are forever. You just need to choose your Hero carefully, because you should keep it forever. The vets say "Never sell a Hero Mech." Pheonix mechs are cool (but you can't get them with MC) especially since you CANNOT sell the mechs with the bonuses at all, well that and they come with their own mech bay.

#10 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

Premium Time, my one Hero Mech (worth it, but still "too expensive" for my preferences, hence only the one), and Mechbays.

Mechbays will likely account for the largest chunk of MC I spend.

#11 Gtbuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts
  • LocationSoutheast US

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

I say mech bays first(I still miss those hunchbacks I sold), couple of heroes second (30% cbill bonus that never expires), GXP conversion. I put PT last due to my game times are a little erratic so it doesn't help me a whole lot.

Just want to add, they have way too many sales to pay regular price, I always wait for a sale.

#12 Fajther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan, usa

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

Mechbays!!! premium time, hero mechs, in that order.

#13 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostscJazz, on 25 October 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

Mech Bays, Premium Time, Hero Mechs

The above is my order; hero mechs (unless you are planning to own several of them) "constrain" you to keep using them to farm up money. Given the constant changes of the gameplay and weapon balance, something that was ok with a hero mech might not be okay anymore after a patch.

So to me it's better to invest in PT especially if you know you can play on a regular basis, so that basically any variant you are using becomes an hero mech with also enhanced XP leveling, which means that you'll master that new chassis in no-time. And it's really useful as a starter.

However, if you really play a lot, event PT becomes relatively not necessary.. I've basically started up with the free month of PT PGI gave at the beginning of the open beta to the founders and then I've bought no more than 2-3 weeks more here and there of PT, now after nearly 7000 matches I'm sitting with over 200 millions of cbills and over 30 mechs.

View PostZeProme, on 25 October 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

I heard Ilya muromets is quite worth the investment. They say the triple AC/5 build makes it very deadly.

Not necessarily.
My Ilya is parked there taking dust off, because the vanilla CTF 3D has Jumpjets so that I don't have to deal with the dull movement nerf/archetypes; bear in mind, it's still a good mech, but it was better several months ago when the number of chassis and variants weren't so varied as we have now.
After the movement nerf basically both my Founder Atlas and Ilya are sitting there dusting off in my hangar unused, I don't regret to have chosen the Atlas back for the Founder, but the Ilya...

The same could be said for the Misery, now that 2PPC+1GR has been "destroyed" it's not so overwhelming as it was in the past; the Heavy Metal's triple energy arm now suffers from the ghost heat if you slap 3 large lasers in there while if you use PPCs then they aren't mounted as high as they are in any other highlander variant.

Good hero mechs for the actual gameplay (which means that you might do the wrong investment, future-wise) are imho the Dragon Slayer and the Firebrand, the Ilya is next on the list among the BH, Misery, HM; the remaining ones, I rank them even lower, this is always imho of course :)

Edited by John MatriX82, 25 October 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#14 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

Hero 'Mechs are pretty useless. I would suggest you to invest in more 'Mech bays mostly and sometimes a color or cosmetic item isn't bad. I would wait CW to see if there will be new stuff you will be able to buy with MCs :)

#15 Lucky Strongarm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

Alright, based on all the feedback, I'm going to sit on my MC for now, and use it for Mech Bays as I need them, and maybe pony up for some premium time when I know I'm going to have some consistent play time. I will say that playing a mech variant you don't particularly like just to grind is a bore.

#16 Madara Uchiha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

I usally go for the 14 buck package, gives me a months worth of premium time, and a mechbay, however if some Hero i want goes on sale usally not matter what ill invest what i need to get it. Also, if I make a "named mech" meaning a varient of something I like especially well, ill invest to give it a unique look.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users