Laptop Gamers, Help Wanted

35 replies to this topic

#21 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostHenchman 24, on 26 October 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Why would you link to a Sager anywhere but the Sager site first?

https://www.sagernotebook.com/

They are running some nice deals right now, and there's a couple more customization options available vs. the 3rd party vendors.

Becouse im from the UK and Xotic is the webiste i use to look at US available laptops for people. Not that it really matters im sure people can search for the same laptop themselve from there favorite online stores.

#22 shellashock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

It depends on what kind of fps you want. I am fine with playing at 15 fps with a lowly $200 Acer Aspire 7750z-4495. If you want high settings or 60 fps, be prepared to pay for it.

Also, what kind of Acer Aspire's have problems with cooling? I have never had problems with cooling and have never cracked 65 C even after playing for 4 hours on end.

#23 SplatCat

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 11 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

toshiba satellite P850-138
Intel i3-2350M (@ 2.3 and 2.3)
Ram ddr3 8gb
Nvidia geforce gt 630m (2gb, gpu @ 800)

low graphics settings fps @ 50-55 and 28-32 in heavy fire fights with a lot of mechs

Warms up a lot while playing mwo so sits on cooler master notepal u3 (3 fans)

That toshiba should be around $500 and cooler master pad $30.

If you want to have similar fps at medium or high settings than have a look at laptops with Nvidia geforce gt 750 or any gtx one.
8gb ram is enough, but cpu with quad core and 3.0+ ghz should be there.
For example something like that:
http://www.pcworld.c...414718-pdt.html

-edit: forgot to input the link -.-

Edited by Nezalu, 26 October 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#24 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:06 AM

I can go up to around $1,000 but would rather keep it around 400-600. I go out of town 4-5 times a year for a week or so.

You really have to make a decision here. Either you want to play MwO on the go, or you want a notebook in your price range. There is a middle ground to be had, but you're going to sacrifice SOMETHING in bargain.

My BEST advice to you is: Don't find what you can afford. Find the one you WANT. Save for it. GET IT. *DO NOT* "settle for what's good enough". It'll drive you nuts in the long run.

As far as GPU's are concerned, the GT675m runs MwO at stable settings [dips down to around 36, maxed] The 765m is another really good card for mobile. I'd say AT LEAST 670/760m to open [or comprable AMD card, if applicable]

As far as brands go, you've got to be VERY careful and read reviews. MSI for example has a ton of great looking "bang for buck" notebooks, and most of them have horrible heat issues. Asus . . was. . . famous for the same, due to horrible thermal paste jobs out of the factory. Can't say if they've cleaned up their act or not.

Sager/clevo are great ways to go, if you can stand the weight. You cited 4 or 5 times a year, so you may be fine with that. If you're looking for something lighter, there's always mac [meh] or Razer. The new Razer blade 14" carries an i7 and a 765m, but is roughly double your top end price. That price comes with support, however, and having had to deal with them in the past, I can tell you Razer support is absolutely awesome.

Someone already linked XoticPC's website, but to reiterate, this is a GREAT site to explore gaming grade notebooks.

http://www.xoticpc.com/

Other thoughts:

If it needs a cooling pad, it's junk or defective. Counter to that is that most modern intel CPUs are have a thermal throttle temp of around 100-105c, and nvidia GPUs are similar [95-100c ish] a properly functioning cooling system shouldn't break 90c [the razer blade pro I had never went past 85c while running MwO... which is really impressive, given the form factor]

If you're wondering why I'm making a big issue of heat, it's because ultimately heat will make or break any portable machine under load. It doesn't matter how powerful it is if it keeps shutting down on you. If it can't handle it's own heat dissipation at load, it's either badly designed or defective.

Anyway, I hope that gave you a few ideas and a few things to think about. Good luck in your quest ^^

Edited by Sen, 27 October 2013 - 06:07 AM.

#25 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:14 AM

http://sagernotebook...selected_cat=11

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 27 October 2013 - 06:18 AM.

#26 CPL Madison

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostLucy Lui, on 26 October 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

I am wanting to get a laptop that i can take on travel with me and still be able to play some MWO and watch moviews, etc...

What current laptops GPU are you using? What kind of setting andFPS are you getting?

I am pretty sure I will go with an Nvidia 700m or 700m series card. What type of computers are you running? Asus? Alien, Dell, etc???

What CPU are you running? I5,I7, etc.

Thanks for the help and Happy Huntings.

im playing on a laptop and getting 40 - 50fps

Toshiba L855-149
2GB HD7670 and a Quad i7(3630QM)

does everything I want it to (I bought this one especially for mechwarrior)

http://www.toshiba.c...llite-l855-149/

discontinued now but look for a similar quad i7 and gpu and you wont be disappointed (also its inexpensive paid £650)

Edited by CPL Madison, 27 October 2013 - 06:31 AM.

#27 CPL Madison

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

http://www.notebookc...0M.84681.0.html

this website also has good comparisons of gpus

http://www.notebookc...List.844.0.html

2nd link is what you want to pay attention to :P

Toshiba S50-10W

similar to mine.. quad i7 , 2gb GT740m

Edited by CPL Madison, 27 October 2013 - 07:27 AM.

#28 Maxx Powerr

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

Alienware M18x, 2 AMD HD Radeon 7970m cards with 2gb each running in crossfire, 32 gb ram, 750gb hdd with 60gb cache boost, i7 processor and Win 7. It's a giant laptop but I think its portable if you don't mind carrying around 15 lbs.

Oh, I get 60fps in Mech Warrior and every other game out there. I love my giant laptop. It's just as powerful as most desktops!

#29 travelbug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:58 AM

my 2 year old sager 8150 with a 2630qm cpu and 485m and a slight overclock can easily play mwo and other games like coh2 and rome 2.

op, i dont think you can get anything relevant with 600usd brand new. maybe you could get a second hand version of my laptop but be sure you test it very well or have an option to return.

#30 Baron Blitz Fokheimer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:13 AM

OP, get a Sager. Don't look for anything else. Alienware is decent, but there is somewhat of a premium associated with it (not as much as in the olden days of Alienware desktops, but still). Six hundred bucks won't get you much, though. You won't even get something with a 760m for that much. A grand might do, however. I personally have a 2-year-old Sandy Bridge with a 580m, and so far I have no need to upgrade.

Oh and always, always buy Sagers from a reseller like Xotic (where I got mine from) or other similar ones you can find on resellerratings that are well-liked.

#31 Lyff

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:44 AM

I have a GT60, with an i7 3630qm, 8gb of ram at 1600mhz, and a 680m with 4gb of vram, before the launch I played with everything on ultra in 1920x1080 at 60fps, but now I have terrible performance drop in MWO, like 20/25fps even on low 1280x720.

You should take a clevo or a msi, but if you take a msi take one of the i7 4xxx and gtx 7XX because they have a far better cooling system than th old ones.

In games like crysis 3 I play at 45/50fps in 1920x1080 in full ultra (except for aa in smaax2), until my card reach 93° and throttle.

I think these card can max out MWO:
7970m, 8970m, 680m and 780m.

And these one if you O/C them:
670mx, 770m, and 675mx.

For the processor, I think that every "real" quadcore i7 can max out MWO.

And for ram, 8gb is enough, but, with optimus laptop the hd4000 take some memory, and if I want to play a demanding game, I often reboot my laptop to "clean" the memory.

So if you can have 12gb 1600mhz, it will be comfortable.

Edited by Lyff, 28 October 2013 - 02:53 AM.

#32 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:42 AM

Alienware M18x, 2 AMD HD Radeon 7970m cards with 2gb each running in crossfire, 32 gb ram, 750gb hdd with 60gb cache boost, i7 processor and Win 7. It's a giant laptop but I think its portable if you don't mind carrying around 15 lbs.

Oh, I get 60fps in Mech Warrior and every other game out there. I love my giant laptop. It's just as powerful as most desktops!

I'm sorry, I know this isn't specifically related to the topic at hand, but I *HAVE* to say this:

I'd rather carry my desktop around with me. . it's lighter :)

More relevant, Failenware isn't worth the price premium IMO, but they do have a $200 console trade in deal going on...

Edited by Sen, 28 October 2013 - 04:43 AM.

#33 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostSen, on 27 October 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

You really have to make a decision here. Either you want to play MwO on the go, or you want a notebook in your price range. There is a middle ground to be had, but you're going to sacrifice SOMETHING in bargain.

My BEST advice to you is: Don't find what you can afford. Find the one you WANT. Save for it. GET IT. *DO NOT* "settle for what's good enough". It'll drive you nuts in the long run.

/thread

OP this is the best advice you'll ever get here. At your price point, you're not shopping for a laptop; you're shopping for a laptop GPU. If you can spend $1000, do it. Moore's Law is effectively dead for the foreseeable future, purchases are much more long term than they were even a few short years ago, and saving even a little bit now will frustrate you for years to come. At $600, your machine will not play MWO satisfactorily, plain and simple. At $1000 you can get a good CPU paired with a very sufficient GPU. At $700-$800, you'll get much the same CPU (unless you do an APU, but I do not advise this), but the GPU will be cut nearly in half. A year from now, you won't miss $200 that yo had a year prior, but you'll miss having a laptop nearly twice as good at gaming, just as you will two years from now, three years from now, four, five, etc. Eat the money now, and be much happier in the long term, just like Sen says.

#34 Bytemeister

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 20 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

Alienware is a good gaming laptop? I'd rate it about the same as a macbook. (total waste) It's pretty, and shiny, and expensive looking, but you can get better hardware for a much lower price. I picked up an Asus R500V for about 700. This baby has an i7 with hyperthreading capabilities, and a 630m gforce with 2 gigs of video ram, and 8 gigs of system ram. Yes, you can get better computers, but I found that the Asus is a good balance of performance and price; it will run the games I want (MWO, LoL, Skyrim, New vegas) but I don't have to be paranoid about its portability. I really like Asus as a manufacturer, parts are easy to find if you break something, their warranties were the best, but they are just standard now, and they have a great price to power ratio. It runs MWO at about 30 fps in heated battles if you turn the anti aliasing down a little bit, everything else is at medium or high.

When it comes to gaming computers, remember that every touchscreen, every backlit keyboard, color changing mini subwoofers and fingerprint scanner add up to money that could be spent on a better processor, MoBo, Graphics card, or more RAM. Keep It Simple Stupid.

#35 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

As a laptop gamer of the last 10 years, I'd say that Sen and Catamount pretty much nailed it.

All I would add is for you to check out the Sager NP8235. It's a little over your price range, but Sager usually has decent sales and I imagine on black Friday you could probably score a pretty good deal.

http://www.sagernote...del_name=NP8235

It even has MWO on its product page :)

I got the Sager NP8265-S which I believe is the same chassis.. build quality is great, it looks sharp but is still plain black so you're not ashamed to carry it around in public (IMO.. I hate the pointless flash and fruity colours of certain other manufacturers). My favourite part is the keyboard which is the greatest feeling keyboard I have ever used!

Edited by cSand, 08 November 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#36 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

Alienware is a good gaming laptop? I'd rate it about the same as a macbook.

Let's be fair here. I may not *LIKE* Falienware. . but I've never seen an Apple notebook with dual GPUs in SLI.

Just sayin' ^^

Edited by Sen, 09 November 2013 - 08:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users