#21 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,703 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

View Postssm, on 01 November 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

Yup, you're 100% right. Problem is, customisation is one of the main selling points of MWO (as it was before with other MW games). If we get rid of it (and pinpoint accuracy) the game will not be playable outside of old school BT fanbase, an thus - dead in months.

Simply pointing out missing info.

Minus the pinpoint accuracy, 10 years says different. Tis a shame many here apparently never played MPBT EGA (GEnie), MPBT Solaris (AOL/Gamestorm) nor the short-lived MPBT 3025 (EA) (adding MWLL). As for accuracy the primary difference between EGA/Solaris and 3025 was the tic/weapon grouping setup. 3025 fired tic'd weapons simultaneously whereas EGA/Solaris rapidly cycled through the weapons on a tic'd.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 06 November 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#22 akakiwu490

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMcTucky

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

Here is the problem: for every hardcore BT fan on these forums complaining about the omni-in-all-but-name there are a plenty of others who have no problem with it. Perhaps someday PGI will introduce a game mode or the ability to host games in which you can only play stock mechs. And while I'm sure there will be a niche group, I highly doubt it would be enough to keep MWO alive.

Here is the other problem: the moment you do something like that, you're going to see other fans demand that other things fall more in line with the rest of BT universe. For example lights are going to get blown up by a gauss rifle, etc. Suddenly people don't want to play lights. Why? Because they get shot down instantly and scouting in this game is functionally useless.

The point is that there are many, many things in MWO and, indeed, all the other MW titles that aren't like they should be. Turns out to make a game that more than just hardcore BT fans want you have to you know, make it fun for everyone.

And I realize that BT fans are a huge driving force, but if they were as huge and driving as they are made out to be then I have a hard time believing the MW computer games would have rotted and stayed out of sight of the big game companies until recently. Usually if there is money to be made someone will make it. Economics.

Of course, maybe they just didn't want to touch the franchise for all the trouble it is worth. Sometimes these forums make the NMA forums from just before the Fallout 3 release look welcoming and accepting.

Edited by akakiwu490, 18 November 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#23 Haakon Valravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 354 posts
  • LocationSWMT

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

View Postssm, on 01 November 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

Yup, you're 100% right. Problem is, customisation is one of the main selling points of MWO (as it was before with other MW games). If we get rid of it (and pinpoint accuracy) the game will not be playable outside of old school BT fanbase, an thus - dead in months.

Honestly, I'm surprised that hardcore BT fans aren't the only ones playing it, anyway.

To me, at least, it feels like World of Tanks in big, stompy robots. Only without the "Role Warfare" (which WoT does have) or factional warfare that was supposed to define MWO.

#24 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostHaakon Valravn, on 24 November 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

Honestly, I'm surprised that hardcore BT fans aren't the only ones playing it, anyway.

To me, at least, it feels like World of Tanks in big, stompy robots. Only without the "Role Warfare" (which WoT does have) or factional warfare that was supposed to define MWO.

You're right - but as far as World of Tanks in big, stompy robots go, it's pretty cool game. Then you pile on that the fact that it's Battletech. And then you'll add that it's contains probably best Battletech artwork done in years...

#25 Haakon Valravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 354 posts
  • LocationSWMT

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

View Postssm, on 24 November 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

You're right - but as far as World of Tanks in big, stompy robots go, it's pretty cool game. Then you pile on that the fact that it's Battletech. And then you'll add that it's contains probably best Battletech artwork done in years...

And you understand why I'm surprised that the player base isn't limited to BT fans.

#26 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

View PostHaakon Valravn, on 24 November 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

And you understand why I'm surprised that the player base isn't limited to BT fans.

It's pretty simple - people love stompy robots and (as far as i know) MWO is only stompy robots game out there.

#27 Haakon Valravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 354 posts
  • LocationSWMT

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

View Postssm, on 25 November 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

It's pretty simple - people love stompy robots and (as far as i know) MWO is only stompy robots game out there.

There is The Other Game. (You know the one. Named after a rifle.)

#28 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

View Postssm, on 24 November 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

Then you pile on that the fact that it's Battletech.

That is for me and should be for everyone the most important thing, not just a bonus IMHO. :ph34r:

View PostHaakon Valravn, on 25 November 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

Is there a "Living Legends" rifle? ;)

Edited by CyclonerM, 25 November 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#29 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostHaakon Valravn, on 25 November 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

While this other game could be fun, and certainly is about robots, they just ain't stompy. In any way.

View PostCyclonerM, on 25 November 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

That is for me and should be for everyone the most important thing, not just a bonus IMHO. ;)

Well, it is the most important thing for us BT fans, but even with all it's shortcomings and glacial speed of development, it's pretty good stompy robots game. Especially the artwork, even my fiancee loves Alex's mechs.

Edited by ssm, 25 November 2013 - 01:57 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users