Make Er Lasers Unique/useful - Down Duration, Up Recycle

10 replies to this topic

Poll: Should ER weapons have shorter durations at the expense of longer recycles? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree with the OP's suggestion?

1. Yes (2 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. No (19 votes [86.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.36%

3. Other (Explain) (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

This is currently regarding the ER Laser, but is forward thinking to the arrival of other ER beam weapons in the next few months.

Here is the reason the ER Laser is arguably one of the worst beam weapons: Many people like it for the idea of the extra range at the tradeoff of heat; however, the truth is when the Large Laser gets to it's border of optimal range, it's far enough away that the 1 second discharge is already difficult to control with any accuracy.

By the time the target is at ER Large border range, you're lucky to inflict light damage to everywhere on the 'mech, which is always inferior to heavy damage to a single part - and thus, other weapons remain most popular for this engagement range hands down, such as the AC/5.

Again, this really comes down to the fact both weapons have a 1 second duration time.

So what's the fix? Simple: Make ER Weapons have a far shorter discharge time similar to Pulse Lasers (Say, a 50% reduction or more) at the expense - as there needs to be a tradeoff to keep ER weapons from replacing Pulse in this scenario - that they take have a much slowed recycle time.

Thus an ER Large Laser might have half the duration (half second) at the expense of a 50% slower recharge. Suddenly, this becomes an attractive option for longer range combat and an unattractive one at closer ranges, while still being incredibly useful for it's rapid damage delivery.

This would also help set the laser classes apart:

Beams: Slow discharge but fairly light and damaging
Pulse: Faster discharge with more damage and fairly quick recycles for up close fighting
ER: Fast discharge with the same damage, but fairly slow recycles hamper it up close

Simply put this will help make the guns feel different than "Same gun with different range numbers attached to it" and greatly amplify the use of an ER Beam weapon.

Continuing that same pattern with the impending introduction of the ER Medium and ER Small would make those weapons unique - and manageable to balance.

#2 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

Honestly, I have zero issues aiming accurately with ERLLas, and I use them almost exclusively now as opposed to standard LLas. That said, a shorter beam duration is my solution to making Clan lasers better without having to make them deal table top clan damage. IE: Clan ERMLas does the same 5 damage an IS MLas does, but takes only half the time to discharge.

#3 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

ER lasers are fine as they are. The extra range really helps a lot and they are actually quite a bit cooler than they are on tabletop. The ER large laser can out range a standard PPC, with less heat.

True it's harder to concentrate the damage, but they are awesome for getting lots of assists. When you see that grouped up cluster of enemy mechs lumbering off their spawn at over 1000 meters, you can strafe an ER large across the whole group and guarantee you get lots of assists (if you team manages to kill them).

I don't think they need to be changed at all. They are already doing what they are supposed to do, with increased range at the cost of higher heat. If any of the lasers should have a shorter duration it's the pulses.

#4 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

View PostLexx, on 27 October 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

quite a bit cooler than they are on tabletop.

They are only cooler in MWO due to the flawed heatsink design just so there is some incentive to actually use them due to that.

Edited by General Taskeen, 27 October 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#5 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

ER Large Lasers are cooler than I had expected for a buff (should be closer to 9 heat IMO, but that's neither here nor there).

The fact that there is a proliferation of 4 ERLL builds out there tells me that it's more than popular (see ERPPC @ the height of the PPC meta).

Heck, it's not too bad over the LL in a ligh mecht.

So in summation, it's not as bad as you're making it out to be. In fact, it is a nice choice over the LL whenever you don't mind the extra heat.

Edited by Deathlike, 27 October 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#6 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

yep, ER Lasers are good as is.

#7 The Justicar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:18 PM

Sorry, the last thing we need is a weapon that behaves almost as well as a PPC for less heat and tonnage. ERLLs are fine.

#8 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

The short duration is already available on the pulse lasers (but you pay with range), ERPPCs (buy you pay with heat), and ballistic weapons (but you pay with tonnage). No need to change the ERLL.

If you did not already, drop your mouse sensitivity, unlock the arms, and disable mouse smoothing and acceleration. You will soon hit everything every time.

#9 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

ER large is the best laser in the game. But yes, they should cut down burn times on all large lasers.

#10 Morang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

View PostModo44, on 27 October 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

unlock the arms

I always lock the arms when firing anything at large distances (though generally I have the checkbox for Arms Lock empty and never use 3PV). Two reticles splitting when you move them and then going back together in between of their split positions is not what you want for sniping. And angular speed of distant targets is small, no quick traverse needed.

PS Well, almost always. If sniping weapon is in the arms and mech have both actuators (can yaw arms), Free Look works good too, moving only arms reticle in both planes.

Edited by Morang, 27 October 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#11 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

I've long been a proponent of decreasing duration of the ER lasers, and I think the longer cycle time would be a perfect tradeoff. Since we'll be seeing ER Mediums and smalls soon I think its really going to be more important to help them stand apart from normal lasers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users