• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:51 AM

Targeting computers are not as easy to replace on a mech's tonnage as A-Pods, unfortunately, as their tonnage is dependant on the number of weapons it assists. So, while A-Pods can be swapped out for a little more armor, armor will not make up for 4, 5, 6 or more tons by a single item. That is not to say they cannot find a way to plug the holes, but limiting your options to armor or heatsinks will only account for so much space and tonnage.

#62 Jaroth Corbett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:54 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 01 November 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:

I am still wondering just how nutso the Hellbringer would be with unrestricted modification being allowed to it. By that, I mean the armor can be maxed out by switching to FF and ES structure, extra heat sinks installed, and you would be left with a 65 ton mech that hauls stock at 86 kph (~95 after speed tweak), equipped with an ECM, BAP, AMS, two ERPPC, three (ER)Medium lasers, two Machine Guns, and a Streak SRM6. Even with IS damage scaling, that is a crazy respectable mech as stock. D: It literally would be good at all rolls, between a 20 (30) point ERPPC barrage, a 15 (21) point ERMedium laser array, and a BAP/Counter ECM attached to an SSRM6 that deals 15 damage.

Oh. And it has a targeting computer that could do anything from telling you where to aim to just fixing convergence on your target regardless of where your reticule is hovering so that those nasty old convergence issues are a thing of the past on it. This mech scares me way more than any other mech in the Clan arsenal, ton for ton, if given the chance to correct the design flaws. It will be interesting seeing how PGI does the mechlab for Clan mechs.

I hope we get one like Mechwarrior 3.

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 01 November 2013 - 05:40 AM.

#63 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:56 AM

The problem with mechwarrior 3's lab was it was pure critical slots and had ZERO limitations. Awesome for single player, nightmares for multiplayer.

#64 Fetladral

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 525 posts
  • LocationAsgard

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

Shadow Cat is around during the Clan invasion so I would put that as a candidate in the Mediums (actually is a replacement for the Ice Ferret and everything you could want in a medium). First Clan heavy I do not believe should be a 70 or 75 tonner that's pretty much putting in 2 Clan assault mechs.in terms of fire power compared to the IS mechs.

#65 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

View PostFetladral, on 01 November 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

First Clan heavy I do not believe should be a 70 or 75 tonner that's pretty much putting in 2 Clan assault mechs.in terms of fire power compared to the IS mechs.

Timberwolf will be for sure among the first one..

#66 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostFetladral, on 01 November 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

Shadow Cat is around during the Clan invasion

First spotted in the battle of Luthien. As PGI is supposedly rolling the timeline back before CW kicks in, that fight will not have happened yet.

#67 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 01 November 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

The problem with mechwarrior 3's lab was it was pure critical slots and had ZERO limitations. Awesome for single player, nightmares for multiplayer.

What nightmares? We did just fine.

View PostPariah Devalis, on 01 November 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

First spotted in the battle of Luthien. As PGI is supposedly rolling the timeline back before CW kicks in, that fight will not have happened yet.

Actually this says it does not appear until Tukayyid.

Posted Image

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 01 November 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#68 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostJaroth Winson, on 01 November 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

Actually this says it does not appear until Tukayyid.

Posted Image

"Following sketchy initial reports from the [First] Battle of Luthien, high-ranking sources within the DCMS confirmed observations of a new class of OmniMech, tagged the Shadow Cat. The Clans, primarily the Smoke Jaguars and Nova Cats, used this 'Mech extensively on Tukayyid, though Clan Steel Viper forces also used it at Hladno Springs [apparently a region on Tukayyid, mentioned near the beginning of ch. 37 of Lost Destiny]." - Technical Readout: 3058, pg. 166

The Shadow Cat was developed in 3003, but was not deployed against (or, at least, observed by) IS forces until early 3052.

#69 Alabaster Black

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 28 October 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

IIRC the Gauss were arm mounts an the Lrg Pulse were torso mounts.

So much I want. JJs and 2Xgauss on 100 tons. /drool

#70 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 01 November 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

"Following sketchy initial reports from the [First] Battle of Luthien, high-ranking sources within the DCMS confirmed observations of a new class of OmniMech, tagged the Shadow Cat. The Clans, primarily the Smoke Jaguars and Nova Cats, used this 'Mech extensively on Tukayyid, though Clan Steel Viper forces also used it at Hladno Springs [apparently a region on Tukayyid, mentioned near the beginning of ch. 37 of Lost Destiny]." - Technical Readout: 3058, pg. 166

The Shadow Cat was developed in 3003, but was not deployed against (or, at least, observed by) IS forces until early 3052.

Edit: I just read the TRO. It actually confirms it first appeared on Tukayyid. I stand by the pic MS put out seeing as the TRO corroborates what it says.

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 01 November 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#71 Toltecher

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts
  • LocationResearch Station Kappa 4, Husavik, Thule, Rasalhague Province, Free Rasalhague Republic

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

I'd like to provide an alternative view to their inclusion. Putting loadouts and tech aside (since that which is fielded is primarily dictated by player preference and meta), I'd be interested in seeing the first Clan mechs chosen for their aesthetic appearance; more specifically, for their animalistic designs (being that Clan culture is animistic). I've been quite pleased with PGI's art direction so far and think they could accomplish the animalistic features of the Clan mechs better than previous MW titles have.

Why am I more interested in the art rather than the tech of Clan mechs for their eventual inclusion, you may ask?
Because that would be an actual change of pace for me in MWO (which it desperately needs...much more variety to the game would be great). Clan tech isn't actually different than IS tech; it's the same function, but with better performance. So having Clan tech won't make the game feel that much different to me. (Varied game-modes, objectives, and economy is what will really give this game a great change of pace and boost in vitality).

So among the mechs available at the Clan Invasion, I narrowed down (to a choice of two) the ones that (IMO) already have the best concept for animalistic appearance (and I think PGI's art team could make some awesome looking mechs with very invoking animal features, whilst retaining a believable 'mecha' appearance).

Fire Moth - 20 tons (kind'of a stretch, but added for choice between two mechs w/o Targeting Computer)
Kit Fox - 30 tons
Adder - 35 tons [has Targeting Computer] (probably the truest here to an animal concept)
----------
Black Hawk - 50 tons [has Jump Jets] (its posture is more representative of a Vulture though)
Stormcrow - 55 tons
----------
Mad Dog - 60 tons
Timber Wolf - 75 tons
----------
Gargoyle - 80 tons (monstrous vs. bestiaI--let's not argue semantics)
Warhawk - 85 tons [has Targeting Computer]
Dire Wolf - 100 tons

There's also at least one mech favored by each of the four first invading Clans for more, alternative reduction to choice.

#72 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostJaroth Winson, on 01 November 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

Edit: I just read the TRO. It actually confirms it first appeared on Tukayyid. I stand by the pic MS put out seeing as the TRO corroborates what it says.

And I take it you're going by the first sentence under the "Capabilities" section, "This 45-ton Medium 'Mech appeared in the vanguard of the Nova Cat forces on Tukayyid."

However, the same paragraph later states, "On Luthien, the 'Mech overwhelmed the forward observation posts even as they relayed reports of the oncoming enemy forces back to the Imperial City. From the observation posts, the Shadow Cats moved out in an ever-widening crescent to search for lightly defended paths to Luthien's capitol. Similar tactics brought the Clans several initial successes on Tukayyid".

The TRO explicitly confirms that the Shadow Cat was first deployed in the IS for the Battle of Luthien (January 04-06, 3052), then later deployed again for the Battle of Tukayyid (May 01-20, 3052).

Edited by Strum Wealh, 01 November 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#73 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

...and in either case, would not be of the first wave of medium mechs released for our enjoyment, unfortunately. A reasonably fast, low profile, well armed 45 tonner would be a fantastic addition. Its one flaw being the paper thin rear torso but, honestly, if you are a Clanner and you expose your rear long enough to have it blown off, you may have been doing it wrong. :huh:

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 01 November 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#74 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 01 November 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

...and in either case, would not be of the first wave of medium mechs released for our enjoyment, unfortunately. A reasonably fast, low profile, well armed 45 tonner would be a fantastic addition. Its one flaw being the paper thin rear torso but, honestly, if you are a Clanner and you expose your rear long enough to have it blown off, you may have been doing it wrong. :ph34r:

Yeah... though, the Cauldron-Born also makes its IS-debut during the Battle of Luthien.

Though, the first Clan 'Mechs will, IMO, probably be the original 16 from TRO 3050.
  • CGB-affiliated: Dasher, Dragonfly, Vulture, Gladiator
  • CJF-affiliated: Uller, Loki, Thor,
  • CSJ-affiliated: Koshi, Ryoken, Masakari, Daishi
  • CW-affiliated: Puma, Fenris, Black Hawk, Mad Cat, Man O' War
(The above affiliations are derived from "most commonly used by..." statements found in the original TRO 3050 (as opposed to TRO 3050R or TRO 3050U).)

#75 Quaamik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 413 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

Personally, I'm going to break with the obvious, as I don't see an absolute need to have one in every weight class as the "first 4".

My vote is:

Fire Moth
Nova
Mad Dog
Timber Wolf

#76 Cyberassassin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, Planet [Unknown]

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:37 AM

Make this a poll?

#77 Cerberias

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:52 AM

Teleforce, your sig, perfection.

#78 Fatebringer

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

Considering we are talking about a Clan release, I think they should release the following five units to prepare the Spheroids for what it will be like to operate in Star formations. ;)

Fire Moth (Dasher) / Viper (Dragonfly) / Nova (Black Hawk) / Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) / Warhawk (Masakari)

With the initial release I am thinking about balance here and operating on the lighter end of things. 20 / 40 / 50 / 75 / 85 Tons respectively to give the Spheroids a chance, we can call this the "Bid Down" star. While you have a few hard hitters here, the Spheroids already have level 2 technology and an IS Atlas would still pose a challenge for the Timby or Warhawk.

That is comparison to just throwing Executioners and Dire Wolves at them to start.

#79 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostFatebringer, on 13 November 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Considering we are talking about a Clan release, I think they should release the following five units to prepare the Spheroids for what it will be like to operate in Star formations. ;)

Fire Moth (Dasher) / Viper (Dragonfly) / Nova (Black Hawk) / Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) / Warhawk (Masakari)

With the initial release I am thinking about balance here and operating on the lighter end of things. 20 / 40 / 50 / 75 / 85 Tons respectively to give the Spheroids a chance, we can call this the "Bid Down" star. While you have a few hard hitters here, the Spheroids already have level 2 technology and an IS Atlas would still pose a challenge for the Timby or Warhawk.

That is comparison to just throwing Executioners and Dire Wolves at them to start.

I would anyway change the Viper or the Firemoth with a Mad Dog. There are lot of Clan iconic heavies (the magic trio, Timberwolf, Summoner & Mad Dog) and i would love to see them !

#80 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,657 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

Here are some clan starter mechs I would like to see for the Clans:
Light- Fire Moth (Dasher)
Medium- Stormcrow (Ryoken)
Heavy- Summoner (Thor)
Assault- Dire Wolf (Daishi)

2 user(s) are reading this topic