Capping And Wow

2 replies to this topic

#1 Xmasterspy

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

You might want to skip this post if you have not played WOW's Arathi Basin Battleground, or don't want to hear more about capping issues.

I did some searches on capping in the forums and did not find what i was looking for. I decided to post, putting my own personal spin on the capping issues I have here.

Go way back to early AB when you got "Arathi resource crates" after a match. The honor systems just got started. It took 45 minutes to get in a fight. patch 1.7.0 AKA a long time ago!

My goal was to get the IronBark Staff (link to it below). To get the staff you had to acquire enough points to buy it from the vendor. I don't remember the exact points or conversion, but if you were to win you would get 3 Arathi resource crates, if you lost you got 1. You needed 3 crates to get an rep token (or something like that) Needless to say winning was very important if I wanted to get that staff in a timely manner. Remember it could take 30 minutes to get in 1 match and if you lost it it could take you 1.5 hours in loses just to get something that 1 win would get you. You needed 21000 rep before you could even buy the staff I believe.

They also introduced a Honor system around the same time... Kill players to get points. That's it.

Thus created the conflict among teams in AB. Some people wanted to win, some people just wanted to grind kills.

As we know, AB is similar MWOs conquest. 5 cap points and the more caps, the quicker the points, the most points win. I wanted people to CAP and defend those caps in AB so I could get the staff quicker. The people that were out for honor only wanted to kill people and would not help the team by fighting in strategic places (cap points not the road). I spent months guarding and healing at the Farm and Blacksmith.

In MWO, when I play conquest I want to win each match by getting to 750 first. When I see that guys that run right past a cap point when its red reminds me of the guys in WOW that would fight in the road. Only out for themselves and their kills. They do not seem interested in actually playing a conquest game, only to kill and reload the next game as quick as possible.

However, there is no real incentive for anyone to get or defend a base in MWO. This is why I think they need to take another look at what people get for defending and capturing a base. In my opinion defending and capturing is more important and difficult then running around in a zerg group and should be rewarded as such (many posts about this).

For example:
More points for capping
The longer you are in the cap point, the more points you get. (defense)
Getting points for re-capping.
Holding off an attack.

This also goes for Assault matches. Assault does not equal DeathMatch.

They need to change the speed up the capture time of a base back to what it was. Right now, if you do not have the capture accelerator, it will take 3 minutes to go from full red to full blue. Lets not penalize (by slow cap times) the people are capping. Lets penalize the people that are not defending (fast cap times). You don't want to defend... Fine, you don't get the base!

Here is the link to the Staff (yes I did get it. Took about 3 months of strait grinding AB
http://www.wowwiki.c...aff_%28Horde%29

X

#2 Justy Starflare

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

Little to much text on the WoW write up well
alotta to much but I do agree in conquest we
need more incentive to capture and defend
and maybe a reward reduction for players
that don't assist. Otherwise there is no
point to the conquest scenario.

#3 Randalf Yorgen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

hmm, When I see this, say on Frozen City, right out of the gate, I know that the fast movers are usually going past (Epsi/Kappa) and are trying to make the deep grab at Theta. Granted some of them are trying to intercept the fast movers on the other team to buy our guys a few seconds to get the cap point first but I am fairly sure that they are hoping that most of the team will push up behind them to give them support, leaving a Missile boat or a solid Medium behind to finish the cap on that first point. I say solid Medium incase the enemy takes the Tunnel and tries to take our base, they can at least head back there and let the rest of the team know what's going on.

Now some other maches I know people are going to play it like it's an assault match because the lost to cap is reduced a great deal and people can have the "Rock-em, Sock-em Robot fighting game" that they have been looking for. Until there is some kind of "Deathmatch" mode implemented these are the two basic styles of play on Conquest that you will have to deal with 99% of the time.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users