Petition To Keep Clan Mechs Faction-Specific And Prevent Outdating All Current 'mechs

171 replies to this topic

Poll: Petition to restrict Clan tech to Clan players (206 member(s) have cast votes)

Sign a Petition to restrict Clan tech to Clan players

1. Voted Sign - Hard Faction Restrictions for chassis (165 votes [80.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.10%

2. Sign - Exceptions (Merc leaders, high ranking players, etc. can cross chassis tech.) (41 votes [19.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.90%

Vote

#161 Ragashar

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 61 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

Didn't read the whole thing, but I got my comments on this... So sorry if I'm copying someone else.

my question is, have you looked at the Clan Package Mech information? The Mechs have designated hard points just like IS Mechs and to top it off they don't have that many of them. So the tech superiority is already limited quite well. If I can only have 3 weapons on a 70 ton Summoner, that is nerfed beyond being superior. No matter how you sugar coat it.

And restricting these things will be extremely hard with people forking 30 bucks for a Mech and then not be able to use it would raise such a shit storm that no one has ever seen before... Restrictions in the upcoming Community Warfare is another thing, but if you cannot pug with them, they will kill this game next summer and can close shop a month after the Clan package gets released...

My two cents on this subject.

#162 Aluminumfoiled

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationErehwon

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

12v12 is the starting point. Dev vlog 2 I think.

I tend to agree with the hard restriction idea but how to make it work? Will %75 of all players go clan? %5?
Don't see the fix and keep a game. Don't see them invalidating all those IS mechs. ie different feel to clan mechs idea. They always were a bit OP ;) Original creators said so themselves.

#163 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

bad poll is bad and op should feel ashamed

#164 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:06 AM

Would you really vote to let every spheroid to buy & drop with Clan Omnies? What is the point of not making IS tech obsolete then?

#165 John Norad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 524 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:40 AM

View PostRoland, on 29 October 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

In every incarnation, it has been impossible to balance against inner sphere technology. Even in the original board game.

Sorry, I can't agree here. I've seen some very evenly matched games in my time as active player. It always boiled down to tactics/skill and, of course, luck. Sometimes the clans won, sometimes IS.
To say it's impossible is just a cheap cop-out. The original board rules weren't perfect at all. Still it was workable. And with some adjustments even the most notorious powergamers and loophole-users would not have been a problem.

@OP: Sadly, MW:O has been all about fancy graphics and shooter gameplay so far, and not so much about concept, story, background, fluff or balance.
Personally, I can't see PGI getting their act together anytime soon or at all, but I'm willing to wait and let them surprise me. Right now the game offers far too little background and meaning, and yes, restrictions, like faction warfare, factional mechs, different careers, etc. to get me playing (again).
Pure Counterstrike-like deathmatch rounds, minimal unique mech characteristics plus more or less unrestricted customization doesn't work for me. Too casual, too bland.

Edited by John Norad, 15 February 2014 - 05:41 AM.

#166 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

View Postsmokefield, on 14 February 2014 - 11:46 PM, said:

bad poll is bad and op should feel ashamed

Do you realize how old this thread is? (Plus, half of what was being asked for was announced as what is going into the game anyway. But yes, the poll was poorly worded, so I personally didn't vote.)

#167 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 15 February 2014 - 05:06 AM, said:

Would you really vote to let every spheroid to buy & drop with Clan Omnies? What is the point of not making IS tech obsolete then?

A balanced game that will retain a large enough player base that it remains viable for the long term. I would rather sacrifice somethings canonical for the sake of balance and most importantly FUN, than have this game be purposefully ill-balanced.

#168 Pando

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

View PostLukoi, on 15 February 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

A balanced game that will retain a large enough player base that it remains viable for the long term. I would rather sacrifice somethings canonical for the sake of balance and most importantly FUN, than have this game be purposefully ill-balanced.

I've not seen where they've stated either way if clan tech is specific to a faction. All we know right now is its specific to itself meaning IS/clan mixed tech is NOT possible.

Who knows how it will be implemented. I'm guessing its Clans VS Innersphere, and another layer is Inner-sphere vs itself (davion vs kurita for example).

I highly doubt you will see a Kurita player dropping in clan tech. They will probably be required to have the clan faction selected to have access to clan tech/battlemechs.

I think it's going to be interesting to see how they handle things.

Edited by Pando, 15 February 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#169 Jake Sorren

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNorthwind

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

Simple way to balance the ENTIRE game:

Re-implement repair and rearm.

That was the whole reason for running the lighter 'mechs...they were easier to replace if they got destroyed.

The Clan 'mechs (iirc) were hell to repair/upkeep in the canon universe as an IS pilot.

This would also solve the "everybody uses ballistics" problem. (albeit, PPCs will still be used).

#170 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

EDIT: OH,come on. Another necro? And I didn't catch it. I'm reporting this ****, I'm tired of it.

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 06 June 2014 - 05:24 PM.
language

#171 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

View PostDakkaface, on 06 June 2014 - 05:00 PM, said:

EDIT: OH, come on. Another necro? And I didn't catch it. I'm reporting this ****, I'm tired of it.

(Responding to the previous post before editing)

It would depends upon how it is done. There are ways that clan tech could/would be used for "clans" only, but still let anyone and everyone use them. (For CW only really.) As an example: They could have it where you pick two factions, one IS the other Clan. You choose which is your "dominant" faction (your main faction). Whenever you are playing an IS mech, you would be fighting for/flying your IS faction. When you are in a clan mech, you would be fighting for/flying your Clan colors. This would make it so no one wasted money on anything, while at the same time keeping clans and IS a little more separated. (Of course, this would be fore CW, and not PUG matches. It would mostly determine where your earned loyalty points would go.)

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 06 June 2014 - 05:25 PM.
cleaned up quote

#172 Marvyn Dodgers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

Locking due to past inactivity, but please keep it civil out there folks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users