Master The Chassis Or Exchange For Gxp?

16 replies to this topic

#1 RavenGenesis

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

Do you guys normally go all the way or just get elite and let it be?

Also correct me if i'm wrong, you don't need the same chassis / different variants all elited to open up master right?

3 full elite from the same weight class will also work? like an atlas, an awesome, and a stalker with all elites unlocked?

#2 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

If I get a mech, I always make sure to Elite it. As for Mastering, I've mastered everything I have except the Phoenix mechs, but I'm not sure I'll slog through all of those to Master.

At this point, especially after grinding Locusts through Battlemasters, I feel like the mech has to earn that Master status. If I use it enough that it gets Mastered, then it's earned it. Otherwise? I'm good with Elite.

Edited by Dawnstealer, 06 November 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#3 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

You need 3 from the same chassis, not from the same weight class. (ie, yes you need 3 atlas to unlock elite, not 1 stalker, 1 atlas, 1 highlander)

#4 RavenGenesis

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

View PostTastian, on 06 November 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

You need 3 from the same chassis, not from the same weight class. (ie, yes you need 3 atlas to unlock elite, not 1 stalker, 1 atlas, 1 highlander)

that part i knew, 3 from chassis to unlock elite, but i was referring to mastering it... does it need from the same chassis or the weight class... which is gonna take a butt load of time on mechs you dread using..

#5 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

I keep the best two of every chassis, and level them up to Master every time.

#6 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostRavenGenesis, on 06 November 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

that part i knew, 3 from chassis to unlock elite, but i was referring to mastering it... does it need from the same chassis or the weight class... which is gonna take a butt load of time on mechs you dread using..

You are correct. Unlocking elite is chassis based. Unlocking master is weight class based.

For me, I generally like to get them "mastered," largely because I have found some mechs don't really reveal their capabilities until you've finished elite (and doubled basic) and that last 21,500 XP is really where I assess what I think of it.

#7 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

If you're gon'a bail on a chassis, you should be able to tell half-way through the basics of just one

#8 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostGoose, on 06 November 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

If you're gon'a bail on a chassis, you should be able to tell half-way through the basics of just one

That doesn't match my experience. I hated Centurions until I had them through elite. The "everything lubed and greased" feeling made them into a totally new experience and I ended up loving them. Admittedly, they were significantly different than anything I'd driven prior.

#9 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

I master all the ones I keep eventually.

That said, NEVER exchange XP for GXP outside of a sale. They run them every 2-3 months, and it's basically 50% off.

Me, I'll never exchange because I have better things to do with my money/MC.

#10 RavenGenesis

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

basically i have way too much exp stacked up on my hero mechs since they're also my cbill grinders... and i was really thinking to just trade over during their half off sales and reapply that GXP to mechs i really don't want to use but need to buy for mech tree lvling

#11 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostBront, on 06 November 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

That said, NEVER exchange XP for GXP outside of a sale. They run them every 2-3 months, and it's basically 50% off.

+1

#12 Arkadash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWhere I'm needed

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 06 November 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

For me, I generally like to get them "mastered," largely because I have found some mechs don't really reveal their capabilities until you've finished elite (and doubled basic) and that last 21,500 XP is really where I assess what I think of it.

This guy gets it.

#13 TyrEol

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 76 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

I usually only exchange XP for GXP once I've got the chassis mastered, unless it's one I'm selling just after the basics and there's some spare.

But as said before wait for a sale. When one of those comes around now I always seem to have plenty of xp to spare on one of my already mastered mechs anyway.

#14 Vimeous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:23 AM

Since I don't get alot of playtime compared to some I elite everything and master my favourites if I've nothing else to level.
So far that's 8 or so mastered. I intend to master everything eventually but there's more than enough mechs I want to add to my hanger that only a select few will get there.

As for GXP. I swapped a little at the start to get some modules but now I'm just stockpiling earned GXP until there's something I really want. Hopefully I won't need to pay to swap again.

#15 Phelantau

• PipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:42 AM

At first when I only had 3 or 4 mechs I had no problem with switching for gxp. But since I have bought multiple chassis of mechs it has really opened my eyes how great the benefits are to getting the extra buffs. Now my problem is having gotten the pheonix pack I have so many to lvl. I do agree that the play mechanics really improve if your willing to put in the time to master each.

I tend to jump between multiple mechs of varing classes and weights when i play instead of just grinding with one repeatedly. While i have a lot of fun it does make grinding to master take longer. But because of that when i jump from an assault to a medium I can really appreciate the differences in play styles. master as much as you can it's worth it.

#16 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostRavenGenesis, on 06 November 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

basically i have way too much exp stacked up on my hero mechs since they're also my cbill grinders... and i was really thinking to just trade over during their half off sales and reapply that GXP to mechs i really don't want to use but need to buy for mech tree lvling

That's a good plan imo. I have neither the time nor desire to grind terrible mechs. Just GXP them and be done with it.

#17 Davinelulinvega

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCorridan IV

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

I master only the variant(s) I'm going to use (i.e. not mastering the Spider V but the D) since afaik it only gives you another module slot...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users