- - - - -

Playing Mwo With Housemate At Same Time - Any Issues?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Reagusmech

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:21 AM

I tried this a few days ago, and had a few issues - We both share the same connection, and the lag stays at a stable 120 ish which is perfectly fine by me, but for some reason we then both get insanely high ping, what seems like freezes, and then the internet cuts out or he gets disconnected and it goes back to normal.

I've had a word with Virgin Media about it, and they swear its nothing on their end, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience themselves doing this?

#2 Jafira

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:29 AM

View PostReagusmech, on 31 October 2013 - 02:21 AM, said:

I tried this a few days ago, and had a few issues - We both share the same connection, and the lag stays at a stable 120 ish which is perfectly fine by me, but for some reason we then both get insanely high ping, what seems like freezes, and then the internet cuts out or he gets disconnected and it goes back to normal.

I've had a word with Virgin Media about it, and they swear its nothing on their end, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience themselves doing this?

Doing the same with my Roommate... but we have stable pings...
The problem we are facing is that if one of us leaves a match the other one is force quitted. :D
Seems like MWO can not differenciate between two clients from the same IP.

Edited by Jafira, 31 October 2013 - 02:30 AM.

#3 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:11 AM

View PostReagusmech, on 31 October 2013 - 02:21 AM, said:

Send a ticket in to support@mwomercs.com

#4 Geek Verve

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCentral Indiana, USA

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

If you're both playing over a wireless connection, make sure you minimize the objects between your computers and the wireless access point that can cause interference (computer monitors, televisions, even duct work can reduce wireless bandwidth and signal strength). If possible, move your computers close to the wireless access point just long enough to run the game a time or two to see if the problem persists.

#5 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:49 AM

View PostGeek Verve, on 31 October 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

If you're both playing over a wireless connection, make sure you minimize the objects between your computers and the wireless access point that can cause interference (computer monitors, televisions, even duct work can reduce wireless bandwidth and signal strength). If possible, move your computers close to the wireless access point just long enough to run the game a time or two to see if the problem persists.

As a computer tech myself I must point out wireless signals hate...

The wall filled with plumbing and electrical lines typically found in the kitchen/bath (often the same wall in many house layouts where a bathroom is adjacent the kitchen to concentrate these lines).

The Bookcase filled with books.

Both of these types of walls wreak merry havoc with Wireless signals.

#6 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

On the wireless issue, another thing to watch for is if you use a card or have an antenna, don't have the PC between the point and the card/antenna. Also sometimes moving a short distance to one side might clear the interference.

The other thing to check is make sure neither of you is having updates or other auto-downloads kicking off while you are playing.

#7 Reagusmech

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

Yeah, it just seems to be an issue with this game and us playing at the same time - Nothing else downloading, but you're correct in that there might be a problem due to the wireless distance for my housemate (I'm in the room right above the router)

But still, there doesn't seem to be any other drop outs except when we play together, which leads me to believe their might be an issue MWO side. Will contact support, but any other advice you can give would be awesome

#8 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

Me and Gwilliy usually play at the same house when we play - and we have not experienced that issue
......Though we have had the book issue.... why books of all things?! Multiple stacks of printer paper: no problem - single paperback gets between us and the router, and BOOM! issues, if it weren't so frustrating it would be funny to watch.

Having said that, while we have not had that issue, it has been my experience that every computer is different.
IE me and my brother have the same computers, built from the same parts, same brands, same programs installed, same everything, done for playing games together, neither runs the same

Not very helpful I know, but... :)
Keep working with it, it may simply be something along the lines of the book issue, which by the way, while driving me and Gw nuts, does not effect my brother's tower.

#9 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

I've had 3 folks at the same time on my home wi-fi network with no issues. It could be your internet connection in general. What speed is it rated at?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users