#41 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

*** REAL LIFE MOMENT ***

For those that don't know, today marked the 28th anniversary of the catastrophe at the Chernobyl Atomic Energy Station, near Pripyat', Ukraine.

Over 600,000 men and women, from across the USSR and Europe, participated in the disaster mitigation effort, earning the unofficial title of "liquidator". Dozens died in the early days of the disaster, and its lasting health effects have likely claimed thousands of lives since.

To this day, a zone roughly 30 kilometers in diameter RADIUS, extending in all directions from the plant, continues to be deemed uninhabitable due to radioactive contamination. Hundreds of thousands of people were evacuated from this area, and very few were ever allowed to resettle (none lawfully). Some 70% of the contaminated land lies in Belarus, though the heaviest contamination was in Ukraine. Significant contamination remains even in parts of Russia.
In order to prevent a possible future release of more radiation from the destroyed reactor of power unit #4, a shelter was constructed over it. It has become known as the "sarcophagus". But this shelter was hastily constructed, and has not aged well. As of three years ago, there were over 1,000 square meters of gaps and holes in the structure. A new shelter object is currently under construction, but its completion is uncertain due to the current crisis in Ukraine, and due in some part to an enormous, underfunded budget, that has swollen to more than 1.5 Billion in US Dollars.

I hope that you all appreciate, as I do, the sacrifices made by the hundreds of thousands of men and women, to keep this disaster from getting worse. Further, I hope we can all continue to appreciate the ongoing efforts of many hundreds of men and women there today, that serve to contain the lasting effects of the disaster and protect the rest of us. Most of all, I hope we can all agree that the people that died there, fighting the fire, and since then, are among the world's heroes, and among humanity's most selfless and brave.

I had the opportunity to visit the site of the disaster three years ago, in March, 2011, as the 25th anniversary approached, and as the Fukushima disaster was unfolding. And I got to visit the museum of the disaster in Kiev, as well. It was, to understate the matter greatly, a sobering experience. Against the backdrop of another ongoing nuclear disaster, sharing the trip with others from Russia and Holland and France and New Zealand and Germany, it was surreal.

April 26th, 1986. Weeks later, we were told that the fire was out, a containment was being built, and the danger was past. But that wasn't exactly true. The lingering danger to mankind may outlive our species. It may be 50,000 years or more before the site can be considered safe for long-term habitation again. Even Pripyat', a couple kilometers away, will only be safe some 300-900 years from now (when faster-than-light space ships carry battle mechs from planet to planet to fight wars between the great houses of the inner sphere, as goes the lore of our game). We may have let Chernobyl slip from the front page, but it will be newsworthy after **** Sapiens has walked off into the history books.

Sleep well tonight, and know that, in some small but very real way, someone you've likely never met or heard of has given up a LOT, that you might do so.

Posted Image

Edited by TheRAbbi, 10 October 2014 - 04:08 PM.

#42 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

Posted Image

(Image courtesy of J. Ellifritz)

Edited by TheRAbbi, 29 April 2014 - 06:39 PM.

#43 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

I'd like to thank an old friend (since 5th year of school) for the above sketch. We've been forbidden from publishing actual photographs of Lars's Wasp, and have had to take it down. That same friend is hard at work on a statue to replace it, though.

It's good to be connected in this crazy galaxy. Especially when you've seemingly whizzed in the Governor's oatmeal as many times as I have. More on that in a bit...

The local authorities have been questioning Lars nonstop for several days now. It's been pretty high-profile throughout the Capellan Confederation. Banditry in general is pretty low-class for such a socially-conscious bunch as us, but using centuries-old battle mechs to commit such crimes? That's a one-way trip to the gallows, my friend.

This leaves two problems. First, there's some pretty hardcore banditry going on here on Homestead. As the Confederation has the overall responsibility for law enforcement and the general peace, this looks pretty bad. Stories like this belong in the periphery, not well inside the Inner Sphere. And second, there's a paper trail some five years long on the matter. Bryson's name is attached to more than half of the complaints.

The Governor's office didn't think much of it, but when the central investigators (including at least THREE Liao family members) got hold of it, heads-rolling mode engaged most immediately.

Remember how I was worried about some mech-specific tools? That suddenly won't be a problem. The Confederation's interior ministry is looking to avoid some serious liability here, and has offered a MAJOR settlement to Bryson. The offer had originally come with an increased military presence on Homestead, at least on a temporary basis, until it was learned that a new mercenary recon unit was standing up here. That's US, by the way.

So, along with a big, cushy pile of C-Bills, Bryson's company's suffering has bought our company its first major contract. We're to be up and running by the end of next month, and our help-wanted spot just got centrally-sponsored. I've already had three messages from former instructors from the War College, including one that taught Long-Range Reconnaissance Patrol operations.

On the first of the following month, we're getting a visit from the CCAF's Assistant Chief of Staff for Conventional Ground Operations. Big ceremony to sign the contract.

Our job? Tunnel rats. Root out the bandits hiding in the mountains, confiscate or otherwise neutralize their weapons, and recover one Pavel Natanovich Kaidanovsky (dismissed from Maskirovka for undisclosed reasons, it's believed that he is running the bandit show on Homestead). He's a bit of a spooky guy, and I should leave it at that for now.

Now that the Governor has a bit of a problem in his back yard, and a little pie in the face for not having dealt with it, there are some really odd changes to the dynamic. We're not exactly liked any more, but we're also more or less untouchable to him.

That's good for him. It turns out that he and my Uncle Leonard go back. WAY back. The Governor didn't know I was ever born, and had never met my mother. It all just sorta came out in a sidebar conversation during a teleconference concerning some of the legal hurdles to getting the business going. I mentioned that the unit I had served with before was gone in some odd periphery world battle, and Uncle Leonard had been off in that end of space and was presumed gone, too. He mentioned having an old friend, a Jewish guy, named Leonard, who was out that way doing some outreach on behalf of the Confederation. Within a couple minutes, we'd gone through the names of over a half-dozen of my family members that have had dinner with the Governor (mostly BEFORE he became the Governor here).

East of the mountains is all mine. The Governor is promising air and aerospace support, as needed, for our operations, until we can work up the funding to bring that in-house. He's also working to get our friends West of the mountains to back off the previous legal claim, surrender their end of the arbitrated deal, and allow us to deploy heavy and assault battlemechs here in lieu of proper field artillery.

So, it's good to be connected, even if it IS just to a very small, minority family. Every little bit helps. Especially when you're unpacking a dozen battlemechs you've never seen before, to operate underground in a cave system that hasn't been properly explored or studied, to seek out and disarm/destroy an unknown number of hostile criminal elements with access to similarly advanced weaponry.

Oh, have I mentioned that Natalee is my new Director of Human Resources? Funny how things work out...

#44 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

Thank you. :-) Really nice. Will be checking back for more! BTW I noticed that your hero doesn't have a name....yet.

#45 RotS Targe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

I kinda like the lack of name, honestly.

#46 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

I have no idea what is going on, but am entertained as {redacted} :(

#47 arkani

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:46 AM

more please...
more techie stuff, more rants, more fights, just more...

#48 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

Greetings 'The RAbbi'

Have you stopped writing?

Has someone approached you to compile these stories into a book?

Has real life reared it's ugly head and taken over?

We need more stories or chapters, that cliff hanger is like waiting for next season to start!

Any news would be nice, even if it's to say there will be some delay in the next few chapters.
Thanks,
9erRed

#49 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

Hoping you get to add more to this story line. Please! ;)

#50 TuntematonSika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 122 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPig with an identity crisis.

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

You sir, create really good content. Especially when you get technical (aspy thing). Keep up the good work mate!

#51 DavrosDalek

• PipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

Keep up the great work. =]

#52 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

This will forever guide me in my part-time writing career to speak like a real tech.

EDIT: I'm writing a little story of my own. The scene is basically a girl walks into the bar, trying to act like an engineer but her disguise was quickly broken because she ain't got her wrench and, obviously, her C.L.I.T.

If I ever manage to make a few bucks with this story, I owe you a month worth of beer, assuming you're into that.

Edited by Helmstif, 29 July 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#53 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

View Post9erRed, on 28 May 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

Greetings 'The RAbbi'

Have you stopped writing?

Has someone approached you to compile these stories into a book?

Has real life reared it's ugly head and taken over?

We need more stories or chapters, that cliff hanger is like waiting for next season to start!

Any news would be nice, even if it's to say there will be some delay in the next few chapters.
Thanks,
9erRed

Real life, minor disappointment with the Clan rollout and delays to Community Warfare, and a newfound obsession with Borderlands 2 (and in 4 more days, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel), and the general malaise that comes with preferring light mechs in a pop-tart-meta-universe.

I've been meaning to get back to this for a while, and I still may. The nameless wrench-bender's adventure has barely even begun...

Sidebar: I like tossing some hint at my personal favorites into what I write, too. Read above, the name "Pavel Natanovich Kaidanovsky". Pavel, I just picked out of the air. Natanovich was the patronymic of the brothers, Boris and Arkady Strugatsky, who penned one of my favorite-ever sci-fi novels, "Roadside Picnic", in the late 60s. I've read it in both English and Russian, including the newest release. And Kaidanovsky? Family name of the lead actor in Tarkovsky's "Stalker", which was based in large part on the Strugatsky brothers' novel. (The first 9 or 10 versions of the script were to be relatively close film adaptations of the novel, but the final script and edit were a different story completely, only inspired by the novel, but still written, like the previous iterations, by the Strugatsky brothers, in close collaboration with the legendary Soviet film maker.)

Edited by TheRAbbi, 10 October 2014 - 04:07 PM.

#54 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for the update, just so we know the post is not dead. (Well even if you're not gonna continue, just let us know). Also, man, one does not simply un-Borderlands....

EDIT: reading the whole thing again and my brain's still playing with Steve Blum's Grayson Hunt voice....

Edited by Helmstif, 12 October 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#55 DavrosDalek

• PipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:28 AM

TheRabbi, I was wondering why those names were familiar. Stalker and Solaris are two of my favorite films. =]

#56 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:39 AM

View PostDavrosDalek, on 24 March 2015 - 09:28 AM, said:

TheRabbi, I was wondering why those names were familiar. Stalker and Solaris are two of my favorite films. =]

Сталкер was the topic of my capstone paper in college. Not a huge fan of Солярис, but it was an adaptation. Tarkovsky's original stuff is so much better. As it was, Stalker wound up ditching the idea of adapting Roadside Picnic, and I think that's when it became a real Tarkovsky film. "Только Я, ГНИДА, могу!" Loved it.

#57 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

Seriously, you guys? I'm gone less than fifty days, and I come back to the Inner Sphere falling the crap apart!

It DOES explain a lot, though.

Okay, so in the few minutes that I get before this NEXT briefing (number 8 of like a zillion), let me bring you all up to speed. It's been a busy several weeks underground, and I think I've developed a mild case of claustrophobia.

We never did find EXACTLY what we were looking for down there. Found the guy. DEAD. Not pretty. Found a little bit of the weaponry we were looking for. Again, mostly dead and not pretty.

Well, EXCEPT for an old-as-it-gets Phoenix Hawk LAM!!! Unfortunately, not salvageable. Still cool as Hell to look at, though. We're having it brought up to the surface by a buddy of Bryson's.

As for dismantling some vast criminal gang, it just wasn't there. Or at least we couldn't find much of it. The cave system turned out to be more of a junkyard for them than a staging base. All told, 2 Stingers and another Wasp were all we killed there, with two recon platoons.

But we mapped over 18,000 cubic kilometers of underground cavern, so there's that.

Most of the heavy stuff has been unloaded and made ready now, too. There are just some minor tweaks yet to go. And it probably WOULD have been done already, but it turns out that Atermis FCS certified technicians are hard to come by lately.

Again, I leave y'all alone for a few weeks, and all charted space goes straight to pot.

But yeah. See, Artemis works like this. In any regular SRM or LRM launcher, the missiles can't all leave the tube at exactly the same time. Too much chance that they'll collide in-flight. They're staggered just a bit. But that has its own inherent problems. The minor differences in pressure, direction, and even composition, of the air/wind, are changed by the firing of the missiles, so that the fire control system only really has accurate data for the first one out of the tube. The firing order is usually set at the manufacturer for each type of launcher and for the target mech that it's going on to. Even then, it's not as good as it COULD be. Enter Artemis! The Artemis IV FCS replaces the fine adjustment struts inside a launcher with actuators that fine-tune the positions of the launchers on the fly, in real time. It also adds wind direction and barometric pressure (even in outer space, this matters since there will briefly be SOME gas directly outside the launch tubes, and it will affect trajectories) sensors, and a standalone computer module to control the actuators. The computer monitors the atmospheric data, with especially high data resolution immediately after each tube fires, and makes fine adjustments to the orientations of the tubes and the timing of fire, to make them as accurate as possible. And it works GREAT...

Just as soon as you get it all calibrated, that is. Calibration is a long, Pain-in-my-arse process, that MUST be done in live-fire as well. So it's also expensive, unless you happen to have a ton of SRMs laying around collecting dust.

Of course, our contract was written when ammo and repair parts prices were a bit lower (like 2 months ago) than they are now. Now that there's this whole weird WAR going on, I can't get common ammo at any price. But that's about to change.

See, we're now handing over the whole eastern continental region to the same inept yocals that let it go to crap in the first place, in order to run off to the other side of space and join some big fight against ...

Well, can't say I know against WHOM just yet. NOT Davion, Kurita, etc. But WHO?

Well, that's my cue. Time to find out who the baddies are, that have been tear-assing around the Inner Sphere. More to follow...

#58 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:35 AM

Yes! My second favourite tech turned mech-jock is back!

#59 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:22 PM

With another installment due shortly, too. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

REAL LIFE TIME!

So, the last year and a half, give or take, has been hectic. Lost a job to a boss going out of business for personal health reasons. Got another just like it, but got laid off when he decided to cut back staff in preparation to retire in the not-too-distant future (43 years now into his SECOND career). Picked up low-wage work at BestBuy for a while, and then BAM! New job, STATE work, best pay I've had since the Army. Life's good. In the meantime, I took a little break from MWO and played craploads of Borderlands (1, 2, and TPS, like 2100+ hours between them).

A week or two ago, a friend from the Ghost Recon days, and fellow fan of big stompy robot war machines, started posting screen caps from his new TBR's cockpit. I decided to fire up, patch, and try to join him for some drops. Nice new KGC-000 in the barn, along with an AS7-S and some kind of CN9-AH(?). Wow, I had a bunch of C-Bills and MC and GXP still laying around, too. Temptation got the better of me. I sold a lot of redundant stuff, bought a LCT-PB and two ADRs. THEN I read up about clan mechs and the latest buffs/nerfs. Decided to buy the Cauldron Born pack from the Clan Wave 3, I think? I've been SOLD on the EBJ ever since. I love this mech in ways that are NOT healthy for an adult male in his 40s.

Anyhow, clan fever has gotten hold of me. And then my team is on a second consecutive IS contract. :-/ So, sooner or later I'll be back to IS mechs looking to level up KGCs or something. And I might go in on the Origins IIC Hunchie and Jenner. Why?

"BECAUSE REASONS!" -Mister Torgue High-Five Flexington (You'll never shake my love for Borderlands, and a Macho Man lookalike ordering me to blow up the ocean.)

#60 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:43 AM

To be fair, clanners are all automatically scum. I would love a Cauldron Born if I still played though. That thing looked sweetin MW4, even if that big snout was guaranteed to get you killed.
Glad to hear you're coming back Rabbi, we're looking to get some new blood in some of the old RPs to kickstart us into posting more often (Hint hint)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users