- - - - -

Buying The First Mech

38 replies to this topic

#1 Xprezone

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hi, im still new and going throught the first 25 matches for the cadet bonus, for the moment im leaning more towards the light mechs as i like the faster mechs more than the large and slow one.

So anyone have some advice in the light mech series and what type of weapons i should go with?

#2 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

I'm a huge fan of Commandos but SRM hit detection and no kind of tonnage limit means that 25 tons isn't that great compared to 30 or 35 tons. Jenners are arguably the most competitive light mechs right now, especially the ones with 6 medium lasers.

Something to think about: While light mechs seem cheaper and a good entry level chassis, their cost can often rival assaults if you factor in the XL engine that many of them require to carry any kind of firepower while still moving fast.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

I'm not much of a light pilot, but I can certainly suggest you look through popular/standard builds on mechspecs as well as play in the mech garage on smurfy's mechlab to look for a build that looks good to you.

#4 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostXprezone, on 31 October 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

Hi, im still new and going throught the first 25 matches for the cadet bonus, for the moment im leaning more towards the light mechs as i like the faster mechs more than the large and slow one.

So anyone have some advice in the light mech series and what type of weapons i should go with?

For lights the Spider and Jenner are the best at the moments. I recommend using http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ to help you pick a build first before buying. Though you mentioned using a light mech I recommend using mediums too. They are a little slower but will still out maneuver other mechs and can pack the punch of a heavy with the ability to hunt lights. Plus the Cicada is a medium mech but acts like a light mech with more armor and weapons. My favorite medium mech is the Shadow Hawk which will become available to you November. Which ever your choice, Good Hunting.

Edited by FireSlade, 31 October 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#5 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

For lights speed is life

Get EndoSteel to free up weight.

Get the biggest XL engine possible because other lights will have it and you wont be able to chase them down or escape them. But XL's are a HUGE investment. 4mill just for an engine is more than a light mech costs.

I max armor lights no matter what.

Double heat sinks if needed. Most lights can use doubles.

Ferro armor to free up more weight. Its not much and takes 14 crits but lights are mounting big weapons anyway.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 31 October 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#6 Xprezone

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

View PostSagamore, on 31 October 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

I'm a huge fan of Commandos but SRM hit detection and no kind of tonnage limit means that 25 tons isn't that great compared to 30 or 35 tons. Jenners are arguably the most competitive light mechs right now, especially the ones with 6 medium lasers.

Something to think about: While light mechs seem cheaper and a good entry level chassis, their cost can often rival assaults if you factor in the XL engine that many of them require to carry any kind of firepower while still moving fast.

So you are recommending assault?

#7 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

The current Trial Light is a Champion Spider 5K.

It's a fine light, but Jenners and Ravens are generally considered better since they are 35 ton mechs, and the SDR-5D can be very annoying with it's ECM.

This is my top four variants, I'd recommend exploring for a new light pilot:
  • JR7-F (don't underestimate 5 or 6 MLs, excellent hit and run mech), if you want to spend MC the champion variant is a good place to start with its upgrades and that XL 300 engine.
  • RVN-3L (ECM and an XL 280 engine provide many different build options, such as two ERLLs)
  • JR7-D (can be ran as a striker with SRMs, or Streaks)
  • SDR-5D (ECM, Jump Jets and one big energy weapon could be ERLL, LPL or LL)

I like Commandos, but they can be tricky, and Locusts are very brittle, so if you end up really liking Light play then give them a go for a greater challenge.

Edited by Praetor Shepard, 31 October 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#8 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Much of the choice of which Light to go with will depend on what your style of combat is, and what role you want to fullfil within those a Light mech is built to do.

If you are looking at general combat, probably the Jenners and Ravens are the best mechs for this, with the Jenner packing more raw firepower and the Raven having more versatility. Note that Light mechs are never intended for stand-up fighting, so combat with these units involves never stopping and circling your opponent at high speed rather than careful aim and standing your ground.

If you are looking at hit-and-run and harrassment attacks, then Commandos and Spiders are probably your best mechs.

If you are looking at purely scouting and spotting, where you are avoiding direct combat, Spiders and Locusts are the best for these due to their extreme speeds.

If you are looking at close support of other battlemechs, Spiders and Ravens equipped with ECM are best.

Generally, these are the roles of Light mechs in MWO at the moment. heavy combat and interception of other Light mechs are more the roles of Heavy/Assault and Medium mechs respectively, so you may want to explore these classes if those roles are more what you are looking for.

My own 2 cents.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 31 October 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#9 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostXprezone, on 31 October 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

Not so much recommending as warning you that, in the end, they are about as expensive as one - as lights pretty much require all the 'upgrades' you can cram into one.
IE: my commando runs around.... 7.8 million cbills, and it uses a 'small' engine for it's class (XL180)
A good heavy mech can cost you less than that fully upgraded.

For a cheap fast mech....
I would argue toward the mediums - but I will admit I am rather biased in that direction :)

#10 Rift Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 532 posts
  • LocationThe moon

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

Honestly, I would wait unless you cadet bonus runs out before you decide on a mech. If your dead set on lights, the Raven and Jenner are probably the best choices for a new player. The raven 3L has the ability to run ECM and will let you get used to how it works. The best way to learn a mechanic is to use it. The jenners seem to be the most popular and are easier to play than most lights. Commandos and Spiders are fun but tend to be for more experienced light pilots. They have less armor than the Jenner and Ravens are even though all lights go fast, speed is life for a commando or spider. Then again, go with what you like the best. There is no point buying a mech you don't like the look of. The point is fun.

Shar is right though. Lights can be very expensive, as a slow light tends to not live long.

#11 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

Ravens are Jenners are the top lights at the moment, with a shout out to the Spider.

Ravens, well, really the 3L, as it's simply better (ECM, better hardpoints, fastest variety), though the others are OK. The Raven-3L can play long range sniper with 2 ERLL, or disrupt other mechs at short range with MLs and SSRMs.

Jenners are the fast strike mechs. They have plenty of armor (for a light), move fast (though there are a few Commandos, spiders, and Locusts that move faster), and carry a pretty hefty payload. The Jenner D and Jenner F are both viable builds (the Jenner K is a D with 1 less missile hardpoint)

Spiders are ok, but their boosted by being hardr to hit than any other mech, so if that ever changes, spiders could be more fragile. Till then, the ECM and 4 MG variants are functional to good, but the 2 energy slot in the CT spider is bad.

#12 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostXprezone, on 31 October 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

Check out my Mech Tier List and the videos associated with this. Link is below.

This list used to be here for players just like you, but the community and moderators moved it. Sorry.

#13 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

One thing of note - the spider is currently the only trial mech that doesn't suck. It's not great - but the rest are built rather badly. That may be why you're leaning to lights.

And since expense came into it - from that perspective I'd reccomend the hunchback. It's probably the cheapest mech to get into high end fighting shape, since anything smaller really needs an XL engine to be competitive. (XL engines are freakishly expensive.)

And of the medium mechs - it's probably one of the two or three best - depending upon who you talk to. (I'd say that it and the shadowhawk are tied for the top spot.)

#14 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

Here's a question for you: Have you been playing with arm-lock off? How comfortable are you with using weapons on fully articulated arms? To my mind this is what sets the Spider and Commando apart from the other lights. Learning how to shoot off to the side can really save your skin at times. (I like arms that move, so I like Commandos and Spiders)

Also, you do NOT need to have the biggest engine in your mech. You do need to be fast, but "fastest" isn't as important as being able to hit effectively. It's a balance you will need to find for yourself: how badly do you want that extra laser or missile rack? should those tons go into engine or heat sinks instead?

#15 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostCharons Little Helper, on 31 October 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

One thing of note - the spider is currently the only trial mech that doesn't suck. It's not great - but the rest are built rather badly. That may be why you're leaning to lights.

Isn't the CN9-A(C) still on trial? That doesn't suck. It's not perfect, but it doesn't suck.

The other two...well, yeah, especially since they both "feature" the very unfriendly "new gauss."

#16 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostXprezone, on 31 October 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

I wouldn't if you like a mobile playstyle. Jenners, Spiders, and the Raven 3L are all quite strong if well piloted. Try to get an ECM variant first for spiders or Ravens, or start with the Jenner-F. Wait to buy the mech until you have enough C-bills saved for an XL engine, double heat sinks, and Endo Steel. Do that and you will be as viable as any mech.

Only go Assaults if you are wanting to play a slower, less maneuverable, but more heavy hitting unit.

#17 Xprezone

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

View PostBarHaid, on 31 October 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

Here's a question for you: Have you been playing with arm-lock off? How comfortable are you with using weapons on fully articulated arms? To my mind this is what sets the Spider and Commando apart from the other lights. Learning how to shoot off to the side can really save your skin at times. (I like arms that move, so I like Commandos and Spiders)

Also, you do NOT need to have the biggest engine in your mech. You do need to be fast, but "fastest" isn't as important as being able to hit effectively. It's a balance you will need to find for yourself: how badly do you want that extra laser or missile rack? should those tons go into engine or heat sinks instead?

The first thing i did when i started the game was to turn the arm lock off as that was recommended in a post i read and yeah the shooting fromt he side can be a life saver.

View PostTerciel1976, on 31 October 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Isn't the CN9-A© still on trial? That doesn't suck. It's not perfect, but it doesn't suck.

The other two...well, yeah, especially since they both "feature" the very unfriendly "new gauss."

Well the cn9-a isnt too bad but the sdr-5k just felt better while playing it, but from what im reading now that could be because the trial mech apparently are badly buildt, what category does the cn9-a fall under?

View PostMavRCK, on 31 October 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

Check out my Mech Tier List and the videos associated with this. Link is below.

This list used to be here for players just like you, but the community and moderators moved it. Sorry.

Thanks, i will have a look at that site together with the others recommended here

#18 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 31 October 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Isn't the CN9-A© still on trial? That doesn't suck. It's not perfect, but it doesn't suck.

All the trials are awesome in their focus. Spider (Jenner before) are both very good at skirmishing or scouting. Centurion is a badass brawler and zombie. Dragon (I scored literally two lances worth of kills one match) is very good if you have arms lock off; it is a good sniper if you can stay back and not be focused. Atlas has only two problems, no brawling power and always focused even though it really isn't much of a threat. You just need to learn the way of the trial and then it will be good.

Edit: To OP, trials aren't badly built at all but aren't optimized as other builds (Atlas DDC AC20, 3x SRM6s, 2x med lasers or Cataphract cheese 3D 2x ERPPCs w/ 1 Gauss.) CN9-A is solid mech, very top class medium mech, but now overshadowed by the shadow hawk. While MavRCK's mech tier list is solid for advice, it's basically saying the most competitive mechs. Listen to some extent but don't let it stop you from getting an Awesome or Dragon or anything that isn't DDC/3D later.

Edited by luxebo, 31 October 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#19 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostXprezone, on 31 October 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

Well the cn9-a isnt too bad but the sdr-5k just felt better while playing it, but from what im reading now that could be because the trial mech apparently are badly buildt, what category does the cn9-a fall under?

From my POV, that Centurion is a solid build. Not perfect (I recently leveled Cents and my A is that idea but further optimized), but solid. Spiders...ah, Spiders. I have a 5D (got the others through basic and sold them), but Spiders are fraught. If you start with them now, they're kindof broken and way more survivable than they should be. It just can't last forever, they so desperately need to be fixed. I have every light chassis and my Spider will sit in my mech bay until I don't feel like I'm cheating playing with it. You'll have less success but you'll be a much better player if you start with another light. Personally, I recommend Jenners. All three are solid (the "weak" K is still a solid mech, the D and F are both just exceptional).

I may be wrong about the Dragon/Atlas. Neither clicked with me, but I hate the gauss mechanic and I don't own either chassis, so don't feel like I can comment too much (efficiences make a huge difference).

S

Edited by Terciel1976, 31 October 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#20 Xprezone

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Well after playing around some more i think medium mech is the way to go for the first one atleast then get a light one later but the question then becomes should i go for a hunchback hbk 4sp or centurion cn9

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users