10 replies to this topic

#1 Vajrabhairava

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 44 posts
  • LocationEurope/germany

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:23 AM

Humbly I would like to suggest the following defence measures to be reviewed by everyone and may be introduced into gameplay:

Category: Defense
Type: Non-lethal / equipment /

-----------------------

Item: Shield-Generator [DSG]

Description:

Shield-generator Builds up a specific force-field around the mech using it. This shields mech additionaly from one specific kind of weapons type -Energy (or laser only)/ballistic (all)/explosions (anti-missile). The shielding field protects only the mech equiped with generator. Effect is significant lowering of weapons damage (25-35%?).

Model Types: Anti-laser (phase-shift/wave-manipulation)
Anti-ballistic (magnetic field)
Anti-explosive (damper/radiation-wave-field)

Specifications: Heavy 5+ tons, need minimum 3 slots of internal space, expensive.

Item: Protective-Hull-Coating [PHC]

Description:

Coating the armored hull with protective composite materials is an additional way of protecting the valuable machine. Most protective coatings dont add weight to the mech or use internal slots of space.

Model Types: *Environmental [ENV]*
Anti-acid (against corrosive, armor damaging effects of environmental or man-made acids)
Anti-frost (protects hull from being damaged by water rapidly freezing to ice
due to sudden fall in temperature)
Anti-radiation (protects against radiation effects of high-power radioactive sources
on the battlefield, lowering effect of gamma-ray CDF)

*Defensiv [DEF]*
Anti-laser (protects against laser-gun fire, reduce damage done (20%?))
Anti-sensor (kind of stealth coating interfering with sensors of opponent mechs,
diminish lock on time)
Anti-magnetic (subtype of stealth PHC, minimizing the magnetic signature of a mech,
protects against magnetic-field sensors)

Specifications: All except A-L cost no tonnage or internal slots. A-L per mech class +1 ton. Cheap costs.

Item: Close-range defense field [CDF]

Description:

CDF as they are known were developed to give mechs an edge over their opponent in close-range combat situations. They could be passiv/automaticly or active type and allways effect the close area (up to 20m) around them.

Model Types: *Active*
em-field (electro-magnetic field gets established in an instant effecting close range targets
like an em-pulse. Effect power-off 2sec)
gamma-rays (short, intense close area impulse of high-energy radiation.
Overheats and damages target mechs internaly. shutdown 2sec)

*Passiv*
he-shock (high-energy electricity shock blasts any opponent running into the hes-cdf equiped mech.
Power-off 3sec, internal damage)

Specifications: light weight (up to 2 tons), 2 internal space slots, medium costs.

Notes on all items:

* Only one type of DSG (shield-generator) can be installed into a mech.
* Anti-ballistic DSG is based on em and can thus not be installed together with an EM-CDF.
* Up to two layers of PHC can be applied to a mech. Only one ENV and one DEF coating can be combined. A-L PHC can not be combined with any other.
* A-L coating makes mech more vulnerable to ballistic weapons fire. Because of mirrored opponents fire a hit mech with A-L PHC glows brightly.
* Due to incompatibility A-L PHC can not be installed together with a A-L DSG.
* Afterglow of ballistic weapons and missiles fire negates effect of anti-sensor PHC.
* Only one type of active CDF can be installed onto a mech.
* As second level of EM-CDF a target mech sensors-blackout lasting 4-5 sec could be added to effect.

Edited by Vajrabhairava, 02 November 2013 - 05:27 AM.

#2 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:54 AM

not very "battletech" honestly. they DO have a sorta force field... thingy... though: http://www.sarna.net...le_Field_Damper

that said, there are also different kinds of armor, we just dont have them yet. good thoughts, but just dont fit in with the lore of BT.

#3 wolf74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:43 AM

There are Two Shield In the CBT universe. One is owned solely by the Solaris 7 group used to protect the views in Live Matchs but the Power needed is Greater than the Power Plants on Mechs & Tanks can put out. The other was prototyped on S7 but never made it in to production call the Blue Shield Project.

Blue Shield
Tons: 3
Critical: 2
Covered "A" location any PPC hitting the location with a Blue Shield installed took ½damage from the PPC.
Note: To Cover a Mech it would take seven Blue Shield taking up 14 critical slot and 21tons, Leaving only the Head of the mech to take full damage from PPC.

Edited by wolf74, 02 November 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#4 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

No on anything that is not actually in Btech technology. That also includes any kind of "special" tech that was some sort of weird prototype used once in a novel, etc. Now with THAT being said...

I'd rather see consumables like this

Reactive Armor
Reflective Armor

Things like that as a consumable or another option for armor type in the mech lab.

#5 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

Hi Vajrabhairava

As you have already found, you will hit a lot of opposition with any suggestions that do not conform to the BattleTech universe. It is a fact that the MechWarrior base take this side of things very seriously and up to a point rightly so, it's part of our heritage. The majority of the MechWarrior's you will talk to through these forums joined MW at MW2; this was established in a Poll last year, and makes them between 35 to 50+ years old.

One of the single biggest differences between MW & StarSiege http://www.google.co...QxMbxcJUhoEu3VA is shields or the lack of. In many ways it makes Mech a much more serious Game (I don't like to use that word) because you need to take damage much more seriously.

Having said all of that, I really like your idea for PHC and these sub items:

Defensiv [DEF]*
Anti-laser (protects against laser-gun fire, reduce damage done (20%?))
Anti-sensor (kind of stealth coating interfering with sensors of opponent mechs,
diminish lock on time)
Anti-magnetic (subtype of stealth PHC, minimizing the magnetic signature of a mech,
protects against magnetic-field sensors)

#6 Shrike ski

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 44 posts
  • LocationColumbus Ohio

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

Null signature system anyone?? there were special armors available from the maximum tech manual (laser refractive, ablative ect) but they also had penalties either in the form of extra weight, crits or extra damage from other types of weapons. they were also very limited in what they did and very, very rare, usually not intended for general battlefield use in the first place, also a lot of they systems to work correctly the unit had to be designed around the system itself (Executioner) think along the lines of a stealth fighter the paint by itself would do nothing to help an F16 but combined with the angles and planes plus the heat baffles and ecm systems and other not public knowledge things combine to make a stealth fighter (or bomber) that has very limited payload.

#7 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

View Postwolf74, on 02 November 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

There are Two Shield In the CBT universe. One is owned solely by the Solaris 7 group used to protect the views in Live Matchs but the Power needed is Greater than the Power Plants on Mechs & Tanks can put out. The other was prototyped on S7 but never made it in to production call the Blue Shield Project.

Blue Shield
Tons: 3
Critical: 2
Covered "A" location any PPC hitting the location with a Blue Shield installed took ½damage from the PPC.
Note: To Cover a Mech it would take seven Blue Shield taking up 14 critical slot and 21tons, Leaving only the Head of the mech to take full damage from PPC.

What you're describing is the contents of a fan-posting from the CBT forum, and not actually part of BattleTech.

Solaris VII does not have energy shielding, and the nearest thing to an energy shield system (as indicated earlier in the thread) is the Blue Shield Particle Field Damper (which is only effective against charged-particle weapons - e.g. the PPC family) developed by the FedSuns in the mid 3050s (with prototypes being available as early as 3053).

What BattleMechs do have in terms of defensive options, though, is primarily alternate armor types.
The properties for BattleMech armors, from BattleTech (with "points per ton" doubled to show MWO values):
  • Standard Armor: 32 pts/ton, 0 criticals consumed, 0% damage reduction
  • IS FF Armor: ~36 pts/ton, 14 criticals consumed, 0% damage reduction against all weapons
  • Clan FF Armor: ~39 pts/ton, 7 criticals consumed, 0% damage reduction against all weapons
  • Hardened Armor (introduced in 3047 for IS & 3061 for Clans): 16 pts/ton, 0 criticals consumed, 50% damage reduction against all weapons, imposed movement penalties on 'Mechs so equipped
  • IS Laser-Reflective Armor (introduced in 3058): 32 pts/ton, 10 criticals consumed, 50% damage reduction against energy weapons only (0% damage reduction against ballistic, missile, and artillery weapons)
  • Clan Laser-Reflective Armor (introduced in 3061): 32 pts/ton, 5 criticals consumed, 50% damage reduction against energy weapons only (0% damage reduction against ballistic, missile, and artillery weapons)
  • Stealth Armor (introduced in 3063, IS only): 32 pts/ton, consumes 2 critical slots in each arm, leg, and side-torso, 0% damage reduction against all weapons, gains stealth properties from ECM Suite
  • IS Reactive Armor (introduced in 3063): 32 pts/ton, 14 criticals consumed, 50% damage reduction against missile & artillery weapons only (0% damage reduction against energy and ballistic weapons)
  • Clan Reactive Armor (introduced in 3065): 32 pts/ton, 7 criticals consumed, 50% damage reduction against missile & artillery weapons only (0% damage reduction against energy and ballistic weapons)
  • Light FF Armor (introduced in 3067, IS only): ~34 pts/ton, 7 criticals consumed, 0% damage resistance against all weapons
  • Heavy FF Armor (introduced in 3069, IS only): ~40 pts/ton, 21 criticals consumed, 0% damage resistance against all weapons
  • Ferro-Lamellor (FL) Armor (introduced in 3070, Clans only): 28 pts/ton, 12 criticals consumed, 20% damage resistance against all weapons
  • Modular Armor (introduced in 3072 for IS & 3074 for Clans): +20 pts/ton, 1 critical consumed per location (except Head), 0% damage reduction
Additionally, chaff pods become available in 3066. A-pods are currently-vailable tech but mean little without conventional infantry to work against & B-pods aren't available until 3068 and mean little without Battle Armor infantry to work against.

#8 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 02 November 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

What you're describing is the contents of a fan-posting from the CBT forum, and not actually part of BattleTech.

Solaris VII does not have energy shielding, and the nearest thing to an energy shield system (as indicated earlier in the thread) is the Blue Shield Particle Field Damper (which is only effective against charged-particle weapons - e.g. the PPC family) developed by the FedSuns in the mid 3050s (with prototypes being available as early as 3053).

What BattleMechs do have in terms of defensive options, though, is primarily alternate armor types.
The properties for BattleMech armors, from BattleTech (with "points per ton" doubled to show MWO values):
  • Standard Armor: 32 pts/ton, 0 criticals consumed, 0% damage reduction
  • IS FF Armor: ~36 pts/ton, 14 criticals consumed, 0% damage reduction against all weapons
  • Clan FF Armor: ~39 pts/ton, 7 criticals consumed, 0% damage reduction against all weapons
  • Hardened Armor (introduced in 3047 for IS & 3061 for Clans): 16 pts/ton, 0 criticals consumed, 50% damage reduction against all weapons, imposed movement penalties on 'Mechs so equipped
  • IS Laser-Reflective Armor (introduced in 3058): 32 pts/ton, 10 criticals consumed, 50% damage reduction against energy weapons only (0% damage reduction against ballistic, missile, and artillery weapons)
  • Clan Laser-Reflective Armor (introduced in 3061): 32 pts/ton, 5 criticals consumed, 50% damage reduction against energy weapons only (0% damage reduction against ballistic, missile, and artillery weapons)
  • Stealth Armor (introduced in 3063, IS only): 32 pts/ton, consumes 2 critical slots in each arm, leg, and side-torso, 0% damage reduction against all weapons, gains stealth properties from ECM Suite
  • IS Reactive Armor (introduced in 3063): 32 pts/ton, 14 criticals consumed, 50% damage reduction against missile & artillery weapons only (0% damage reduction against energy and ballistic weapons)
  • Clan Reactive Armor (introduced in 3065): 32 pts/ton, 7 criticals consumed, 50% damage reduction against missile & artillery weapons only (0% damage reduction against energy and ballistic weapons)
  • Light FF Armor (introduced in 3067, IS only): ~34 pts/ton, 7 criticals consumed, 0% damage resistance against all weapons
  • Heavy FF Armor (introduced in 3069, IS only): ~40 pts/ton, 21 criticals consumed, 0% damage resistance against all weapons
  • Ferro-Lamellor (FL) Armor (introduced in 3070, Clans only): 28 pts/ton, 12 criticals consumed, 20% damage resistance against all weapons
  • Modular Armor (introduced in 3072 for IS & 3074 for Clans): +20 pts/ton, 1 critical consumed per location (except Head), 0% damage reduction
Additionally, chaff pods become available in 3066. A-pods are currently-vailable tech but mean little without conventional infantry to work against & B-pods aren't available until 3068 and mean little without Battle Armor infantry to work against.

This, this is what I meant by not minding having things like reflective and reactive armor implemented at some point but not as a consumable. They'd be just like FF and ES now. You pay to upgrade and such.

#9 Vajrabhairava

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 44 posts
  • LocationEurope/germany

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

Hello everyone:)
first of all I would like to say that I really much appreciate all of your input and truly be happy about the thoughts you share with me. Anyway I like to thank Oppresor very, very much for the kind and as explaining as balanced post:). I understand the wish to stick to the BT traditions very much and thing it is right to have a clear game heritage.

I begann mw with mw2 and match the average age;) but i was never very deep into BT universe. My ideas are formulated mainly from a game players perspective aiming at practicly advancing gameplay/usability as well as variety of game flow an playing options.

So what I suggest is more thought with a gamers practical intentions in mind. I hope all of you can see me my failing in knowledge about the BT heritage/universe after. I will try to do better in future;).

Anyway don' t mind to be opposed or quite critical as I said I appreciate all of your input and am happy to discuss these things with all of you.

Personaly I think PHC and CDF as defense against light mechs and running-in mechs could really have something but thats my opinion. Why Env PHC are necessary will become more clear in my next features suggestion post "Weather report".

For now thank you all very much.

#10 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostVajrabhairava, on 03 November 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

Hello everyone:)
first of all I would like to say that I really much appreciate all of your input and truly be happy about the thoughts you share with me. Anyway I like to thank Oppresor very, very much for the kind and as explaining as balanced post:). I understand the wish to stick to the BT traditions very much and thing it is right to have a clear game heritage.

I begann mw with mw2 and match the average age;) but i was never very deep into BT universe. My ideas are formulated mainly from a game players perspective aiming at practicly advancing gameplay/usability as well as variety of game flow an playing options.

So what I suggest is more thought with a gamers practical intentions in mind. I hope all of you can see me my failing in knowledge about the BT heritage/universe after. I will try to do better in future;).

Anyway don' t mind to be opposed or quite critical as I said I appreciate all of your input and am happy to discuss these things with all of you.

Personaly I think PHC and CDF as defense against light mechs and running-in mechs could really have something but thats my opinion. Why Env PHC are necessary will become more clear in my next features suggestion post "Weather report".

For now thank you all very much.

I don't think anyone dislikes your idea, just rather see it mroe in line with Btech in general. Some of the things you suggested like laser armor would be reflective armor. Gives a bonus against energy weapons but not against ballistics. This is already a btech item and I wouldn't be surprised if we see this implemented eventually as an upgrade like endo steel now.

#11 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

Yup, i think we all want to see the assorted armor types (hello, anti meta armor!) but we also want to stick to the lore as much as we can, and frankly Gundam esque energy shielding is just not what this game is about. is it cool? hell yeah, i love me some Gundams! is it Battletech? nope, so I'd rather not see it. this game is about bipedal walking tanks with enough firepower to level a city block slugging it out, not watching my whole missile volley bounce off that guys deflector shields. a significant part of the game is learning how your chosen mech can absorb as much firepower as possible, and every point counts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users