"hero" Your Mech

20 replies to this topic

#1 zazz0000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:31 PM

For both the player's sake and business sake, (and possibly 20th post on this topic):

Ability to "hero" a mech for MC. Give any mech you own the c-bill/xp bonus of a hero, or at least something close to one, for a nominal charge.

I don't buy hero mechs, but I did get Phoenix in order to have some c-bill grinders. At the same time I would probably pay money to get a similar bonus out of a mech that I like to play, or at least sentimental about.

And from business point well... what's there to loose? A percent of sales on hero mechs for an influx in slightly-less-priced "hero" tags? And premium time isn't going anywhere.

TL/DR I want a hero DD. Fun to play, but a grind. Take my money if I can have the former but not the latter.

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:06 AM

If you could just "hero" your D-DC, there would be no point in the hero or champion Atlases. Also, the "heroed" D-DC would be clearly better than all other variants in all regards. Thus 1) breaking PGIs cashflow from hero/champion sales while 2) introducing a PTW model to the game. Not a good idea.

#3 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

View PostModo44, on 03 November 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

If you could just "hero" your D-DC, there would be no point in the hero or champion Atlases. Also, the "heroed" D-DC would be clearly better than all other variants in all regards. Thus 1) breaking PGIs cashflow from hero/champion sales while 2) introducing a PTW model to the game. Not a good idea.

PGI could limit which variants were "hero-able" to prevent such a thing (PTW). Additionally they could make it costly enough that people would consider whether or not it was worth doing, therefor preventing existing Hero Mechs from being overly devalued.

#4 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:16 AM

View PostLukoi, on 03 November 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

PGI could limit which variants were "hero-able" to prevent such a thing (PTW). Additionally they could make it costly enough that people would consider whether or not it was worth doing, therefor preventing existing Hero Mechs from being overly devalued.

This brings us very close to the current model, where about half the variants of a chassis are available as hero/champion mechs. Making the suggestion redundant.

#5 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

Don't they have something that Hero's all your mechs? I believe they call it "Premium Time" or some such foolishness.

#6 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:33 AM

The current system is fine.

It's good that none of the current Hero Mechs are actually ''perfect''. It assists continuing variety. preventing a game where everyone uses the same small number of OP Mechs.

Premium time is available to give you a CBill and XP boost to any and all Mechs that you use.

Edited by Appogee, 03 November 2013 - 12:37 AM.

#7 zazz0000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:52 AM

Ok, what if the boost was less signifcant than that of a hero mech? Say 10% C-bill boost?

It takes away little from hero mechs, since those have an air of exclusivity, and sometimes a superior hardpoint layout (Ilya Muromets and Mysery come to mind).

Premium time is great and all, and mind you, it stacks with the hero bonuses as is, so one doesn't stop the other.

#8 Warge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

View Postzazz0000, on 02 November 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

Ability to "hero" a mech for MC. Give any mech you own the c-bill/xp bonus of a hero, or at least something close to one, for a nominal charge.

Bad idea. Sales will be lower. :P

#9 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

It's not a bad idea. You limit all players to only being able to "heroize" one mech for and MC fee equivalent to what you would pay for a hero mech. They lose zero money, even if hero mechs become less popular they're still making up the money when a player chooses to pay the MC on their own mech instead. You could even drop the bonuses to a bit less than what you get with an "official" hero mech. That does nothing to impede PGI making money. In all honesty it would probably increase their profits because people would pay to have their personal favorite mech heroized before just buying a hero mech

#10 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

I think the idea is good, but the problem primarily is that PGI has monetized it in the form of Champions (10% XP bonus).

That's the real problem IMO. I don't think PGI will consider this idea for that reason alone.

Prosperity Park suggested this... and the Champions are the result of this well intentioned, but horribly implemented idea.

Edited by Deathlike, 03 November 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#11 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 03 November 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

Prosperity Park suggested this... and the Champions are the result of this well intentioned, but horribly implemented idea.

You are forgetting one thing the Champions do, though. They give them machines with stock loads designed for MWO play, instead of TT, that they can use as trial mechs. That does wonders for NOT alienating new players.

#12 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

think the Champion mechs are good the way the Dev"s put them in the game. they are a form of Hero mechs created for and by the MechWarrior Community! maybe the Xp bonus could use a little boost if anything.

#13 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

View Postzazz0000, on 02 November 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

Heh. I have like a quarter-to-half a million EXP on my Atlas DDC and several other mechs. The only reason not to play those constantly is that I have other mechs that are hero.

I would love this personally but for money-making reasons I don't think they ever will do it.

#14 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:10 AM

Which is why you charge an MC fee to do It

#15 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:14 AM

I have said that when they introduced hero mechs, not the biggest fan of hero mech in general since it broke the "you can buy every mech with C-bills or MC".
They would have made more money by now, since people could make their fav mech into something a bit more sweeter without changing how the mech functions in battle.

#16 zazz0000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 04 November 2013 - 01:39 AM, said:

Heh. I have like a quarter-to-half a million EXP on my Atlas DDC and several other mechs. The only reason not to play those constantly is that I have other mechs that are hero.

I would love this personally but for money-making reasons I don't think they ever will do it.

But therein lies the beauty, PGI can set the $ amount it takes to hero any specific chassis. Make the price tag on the D-DC similar to or greater than that of the Boar's Head, maybe around $60 or however much it costs.

If you're willing to pay that much for the c-bill boost - go for it. The only side effect is that you'll play your D-DC more, which you already play more than enough...

Financially I think this would invite a new stream of profit. I wouldn't buy a hero mech as a matter of principle. I would upgrade my DD though...

#17 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

could i stack it on my ilya muro lol

#18 zazz0000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

Yea I was actually just thinking the same thing. Why the hell not? Stack it up, money in the bank. Err both yours and PGI's

#19 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

No, because PGI would rather you pay for premium time over and over instead of a one time cash layout.

#20 zazz0000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

Premium time isn't going anywhere though, it's the highest single boost to earnings. And since it all stacks up...

A month of premium time or a one time purchase of a significantly smaller permanent boost, let alone to a single chassis. Same money in the end, and PGI will take both if they have a chance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users