13 replies to this topic

#1 Menson

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNorthern California, USA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

I like my Quickdraw. It's faster then most heavies so I can be where the fighting is and I have fun providing supporting fire to the fight. I have read a lot of people griping about how big the Quickdraw is (scaling), and about how large the CT hitbox is (it goes from groin to above the cockpit; it makes almost 50% of the mech). I don't want this thread to turn into complaints. I have played over 120 matches in my QD and I have changed my loadout several times. Here's my current build: 2PPC SRM10. It works for me. I don't poptart and I use a lot of torso twisting / arm-shielding and jumping to spread damage around. I have about 6 million credits saved up, and I'm debating buying the 360XL to build a hit and run brawler. (4 ML SRM10 with 360XL and 4JJ) In all of my matches less then 20% have been RT/LT death and even then only after loosing as arm.

I'm not in love with the QKD because I don't feel as if it has enough burst damage. I like the PPCs and SRMs for burst damage, but it runs hotter then I'm super-comfortable with. I make it work sure, just sit back and cool off. Cooling off is nice when you're not their target and whoever IS their target can survive long enough for you to start firing again. If I get the XL 360 then I can still put out a 40 damage alpha and run away fast enough to cool off or if they target me. Also, a faster moving target is harder to hit and with speed I can get behind my target who isn't shooting me and shoot out the weaker back armor. If I save up for something bigger like a Victor or Highlander, I can do more damage before having to cool off, but I won't have speed to get out of a bad situation.

Should I buy an XL360 and commit to a mech I may fall in love with because of the speed change, or save up to buy a bigger/slower/more damaging mech I have never played? (I'm terrible in the champion atlas).

*Edited for spelling*

Edited by Menson, 02 November 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#2 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

Firstly, you like your posts?

Secondly, I think it's best to go for the XL360 if your going to master the quickdraws and depending on what you plan to play later (maybe Awesomes, or Dragons, etc?) Your build right now is questionable as I don't have the Quickdraw myself and only played the stock trial 4G (which wasn't all too bad).

This build is what I recommend if you're going for XL360:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6d5d46fe0399534
The 4G's extra Jets are what separate it from the 4H. You should probably use it. Also, Atermis is sorta limiting your firepower by having only SRM4 when it could be SRM6. I'll also say you might need two tons of ammo, but it depends how much you poptart and snipe. Anyway, up to you, hope I helped. :)

Edit: :lol: Heh, Arnold. Everyone likes their own posts Menson, but nobody usually actually pushes the like button on their own posts. Feels weird and narcissist in my opinion. Also, no lights can actually fit the XL360 iirc. It's mostly fast strikers or assaults that want to feel like mediums (Pretty Baby B)). The SRM6s are better in my opinion if you support the main crew. If you chase lights, they probably will dodge the second volley, unless you're super good at determining where he'll go and where your missiles will go.

Edited by luxebo, 29 October 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#3 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

I'd say that if you enjoy the Quickdraw, spending the money for an XL360 is not necessarily a bad investment. If you don't like it after buying the engine, hey, that's an expense you don't have to make down the line when trying a different chassis. My vote is, get the engine. Changing mechs (and weight classes) when you're not sure you'll have the same amount or greater fun is much more expensive, in more ways than one!

If you like fast strikers, you might also look at the Dragon, Kintaro or Centurion. They're all best run with big engines (the first two are XL-friendly, the CN9 you want to keep STD for zombie most likely) and can pack a mean punch - my KTO-19 (yes, one-nine) has a 63-point alpha and a speed in the high nineties. And far cheaper to buy and fit than a shiny new Atlas :)

EDIT: Damnit, luxebo, you ninja'd me :lol:

Edited by Arnold J Rimmer, 28 October 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#4 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

You would get more raw damage from the Quickdraw-4H. Regardless the 360XL is a very good engine in many designs. As is the 350XL.

#5 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

I bought the XL360 for my QKDs just for teh lulz, and have thrown it in pretty much every compatible chassis at one stage or another since buying it. Currently resides in one of my KTO builds.

Go buy it!

#6 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

You can always take the 360XL out and use it in a different 'Mech. You can't put a Victor in a different 'Mech.

Speed really benefits the Quickdraw, especially the -4G. In addition to its jump jet advantage over the -4H, it twists faster and further than the other Quickdraws, allowing you to snap your weapons around fast. Jump over a target, twist shoot them in the back, snap back to catch the return fire in the arm while running away. Key point here being the running away, because not only does it help you deal with return fire, it gives you the time to cool down from those PPCs. The -4G is my preferred heavy for that reason.

#7 Menson

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:51 AM

Of course I like my own posts. If you yourself don't like what you have to say, then why are you saying anything at all?

The problem of putting an SRM6 in the CT is that there is only a 4-tube launcher there. I hear 2-volley SRMs don't do so well. Am I wrong? The advantage of Arty on your SRMs in that it packs them tighter for [more] pin-point damage instead of spreading missiles all over your opponent. If I get the bigger engine then I will most likely put in the time to grind up c-bills and buy the other variants for elite/master.

Another question: Is the 360 worth it over the 350? Is 3 kph really worth 2 heat sinks? Is the 360 sold mostly because light mech pilots are addicted to speed and put in the biggest they can get regardless of consequences?

#8 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

Hi, Menson.

I like my Quickdraws a lot also. I currently keep a 4G and a 4H- I refitted the 4G into a highly-mobile fire support 'mech with a smaller XL engine, two ER large lasers, and an LRM-20, but my 4H is totally a brawler, with a 335 XL engine, four medium lasers, 2 SRM-4s and an SRM-6, and the maximum 5 jump jets. I enjoy using both of these 'mechs quite a bit- the 4G gets into places nobody expects with its jets and can rain missiles on anything not directly under cover while poking holes in things with the lasers, and the 4H is fast enough with a 335 (99 KpH) that anything it can't blow a hole in when it pops up out of nowhere is too slow to catch it.

As far as the tubes go- you're right that the center torso only has four tubes, meaning you're getting a 4-2 launch. What does this mean for you? Well, that depends. Are you using your SRMs against lights? If so, the 4-2 is going to be a liability as you'll likely have wasted a ton going up from an SRM-4 to an SRM-6. If you're jumping enemy heavies and such from ambush, though, it's pretty much a non-issue- only Dragons and Quickdraws are likely to be fast enough to get out of the way, as Victors are too large to fully leave their origin area in the time it takes the last two missiles to launch.

That said, using Artemis with an SRM-4 is a bit wasteful- yes it tightens the missile spread, but with SRM4 and 2 launchers, the spread isn't noticeably tightened. If you've only got four tubes, then the Artemis isn't worth it. I'd go so far as to say skip the Artemis and use the weight for other considerations, as even with SRM-4/SRM-6, it's only having a noticable difference on one of the two racks, meaning you're spending two tons of weight for one ton of effect.

As far as your engine size goes- I've found that the 360 isn't really neccessary. A lot of players in this game, light pilots or not, swear by squeezing every last KpH they can out of their 'mech regardless, and I feel that that can be a bit of a waste of tonnage. If you're looking at a 7-10 KpH difference, it's worth it, but 3 KpH is negligible. I run a 335 in my fast QKD, and that's plenty fast already, I don't take noticeably more damage than the people running 360s.

I would say, determine your preferred weapon/heatsink/jumpjet loadout first, then fit in the best engine you can given that restriction. As long as you're not stepping down as far as a 300 XL or something, you should be fine, and even a 300 XL isn't too bad (still going over 90 KpH).

Edited by Elli Gujar, 29 October 2013 - 07:22 AM.

#9 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

The XL360 is a great engine, as is the XL350. The tonnage difference isn't huge though, and for mechs like the Quick Draw, it's nice to have all the speed you can get. I have a single quickdraw, and I use my XL360 in it (as well as my Victors and my Battlemasters, and occasionally Cent-D and Shadowhawks)

Edited by Bront, 29 October 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#10 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

im basically using the same build. its nice but high skill cap. it works if you can land those shots and stay out of harms way.

#11 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

Buy the XL360 I use mine in medium, heavy, and in assult mechs (victors). Its an extremely versatile engine you will get your c bills out of it.

#12 Menson

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

So I bit the bullet and bought an XL350. Here's my current build: 4ML SRM10. I kept the Arty on because it costs too much atm to take it off. If I do take it off I'm not sure if I'll increase to SRM6x2 and up the ammo to 300 (25 shots) or keep the SRM10 and add 2 more DHS.

As it stands, I'm playing this new build like a 4SP with JJ and more armor. I'm getting about 350 damage and one kill a match. It hits hard enough to shoot out the back armor of someone who is distracted. I'm the quick knife in the back until they see me, then I have the mobility to get away. Unfortunately it's still a pretty large target to move and I take some hits on the way out. However, I guess that's good if they're shooting me, because the more they focus on me, the less they focus on my team.

I'm grouping all 4 lasers into group 1 and then the arm lasers into group 2 as well for shooting lights. SRMs are in group 3. The going 94.5 doesn't FEEL any faster then going 81, should it? The only difference I see between 350 and 300 is the ability to close in and use the 4ML's to full effect. It's the same 20 damage from double PPC at a distance. On paper these builds are the same, but I'm still getting used to getting into/out of trouble. I'll keep you updated if I go back to ranged damage moving "slowly" @ 81.

#13 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

I forgot that you still had Atermis on, it's perfectly fine to keep the SRMs the way they were then as money spent on turning back to standard isn't worth it. I personally think it's just up to you if you like to be long range or close range (I prefer brawling over sniping.) Oh, and if you master your mech it will become a solid 104 kph, which should be very fast (not even Cents besides D and Hunchies can go that fast.) I did say mobility was this mechs advantage, so you may want to remove 3 DHS for JJs, but it's all up to you. Hope I helped. ;)

Edit: Thanks Shar Wolf :) .

Edited by luxebo, 03 November 2013 - 10:04 AM.

#14 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

View Postluxebo, on 02 November 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

MOST Centurion cannot go that fast

Fixed that for you ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users