#1 Ghoulsby

• Pip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

So I have a CTF-IM that I love:

ILYA MUROMETS

My problem is that I can't seem to find anything that compares to this. With 3x UAC5s and 3x MLAS I can put out more burst damage than most mechs and also more sustained damage than most mechs. I used a 3x AC2, DRG-5N© for a while before this, but even that no longer compares in terms of dmg output / survivability.

I consistently put out 400-1000 dmg per round. It's not unheard of that I kill half the other team, but I probably average 2.5 kills per match. The only thing that scares me is seeing another CTF-IM.

So I guess I'm asking, if I like this kind of mech and I like the brawler playstyle, what can compare to this beast of a machine? I've already mastered it and it's getting kinda boring to not have anything else to tinker with because I keep wasting CBILLS on comparatively worthless mechs. Appreciate the help guys, I hope this doesn't come across as a boast thread, I just thought I should talk about my results so you don't tell me to go try some mech that puts up weak numbers.

Edited by Ghoulsby, 04 November 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#2 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:56 AM

The Ilya is a beast there is no arguing that point. Perhaps you can tell us which other mechs you have tried and why you do not like them?

#3 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:05 AM

Not sure if you would buy the phoenix mechs or not, but the Battlemaster plays like a 85 ton cataphract. They safely fit XLs and have a variant with 3 ballistics in the arm so you could fit 3 AC2's and 4 medim lasers and a huge engine very easily. I use XL390s in all of my battlemasters, which gives you a top speed of nearly 82KPH. That coupled with assult mech armor and firepower is a beast on the battlefield.

#4 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 04 November 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Not sure if you would buy the phoenix mechs or not, but the Battlemaster plays like a 85 ton cataphract. They safely fit XLs and have a variant with 3 ballistics in the arm so you could fit 3 AC2's and 4 medim lasers and a huge engine very easily. I use XL390s in all of my battlemasters, which gives you a top speed of nearly 82KPH. That coupled with assult mech armor and firepower is a beast on the battlefield.

If the op likes UAC5's, the only thing I can forward him to are either Victors 9B/9S or go the highlander way and try a 733C, that both can go dual UAC5 with PPCs or large lasers + some srms for cqb if they are needed. Battlemasters can only do dual AC5.

About the OP's Ilya, when I used that build I found that optimum tonnage for ammo was at least 10, but that was before they aligned the rof to that of AC5's and they jammed much less, so maybe now they require less ammunition than I used to.

Too bad that the IM at high levels of play lacks of JJs and its weapons are mounted too low. Mine is dusting off unused up to a point I was asking PGI to refund it so that I can pick up something else (I'm still waiting a response from the support if it's possible or not).

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 04 November 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Better combo. UAC/5 + 2 AC/2s + other weapons and lots of ammo. :P AC/2s put out damage faster than a UAC/5 but with that UAC/5 in there the damage spikes of it combined with the lack of jamming of the AC/2s are devastating.

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

4AC2 Jagermech

#7 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:42 AM

Just get Jager mechs.

Seems like you've gotten used to the dakka role, Jagers should be a natural transition. You can fit a similar build to the Ilya.

#8 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

Don't change chassis. Master the Cataphract entirely. The Ilya is generally not the best version of the Cataphract, the 3D is.

As a jumping off point, try these setups:

CTF-4X - 4 AC5
CTF-2X - AC/20, 2 SRM4, 2 ML or AC/20, 2 SRM6, 2 SL
CTF-3D - 2 AC/5 2 PPC

Most of the competitive groups have moved to regular ACs instead of Ultras again. They are a solid substitute at the current time.

But either way, you'll want to master a chassis before flying off to another and many of the other recommendations are lackluster. Pick up the 3D next without question, it's jump jets give it a major advantage.

View PostRedshift2k5, on 04 November 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

4AC2 Jagermech

Not only does this cause horrendous ghost heat but it's also massively squishy. If you do go Jagger go 2x Gauss or 2x AC/20 and stagger it. Everything else is awful and even then a K2 is probably better in all honesty.

Skip the Jagger.

Edited by Victor Morson, 05 November 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#9 wickwire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

swap the three uac's for triple lb-10x :P

#10 Roboticus Prime

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

View Postwickwire, on 06 November 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

swap the three uac's for triple lb-10x :)

I prefer dual LB-10x and a PPC :(

#11 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostRoboticus03, on 07 November 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

I prefer dual LB-10x and a PPC ;)

Dual Gauss and an ER PPC.

#12 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

Maybe not the sexiest thing on the battlefield, but the BrawlMaster I've taken up against 'Phracts and left them smoking piles of slag. But, as was mentioned earlier, if you haven't gone to Master (at the very least Elite for the 2x Basics), I'd just do that first. And then use that smexcee Battlemaster that came with your Overlord package.

#13 Roboticus Prime

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostMercer Skye, on 07 November 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

That build is time bomb.... All that ammo in a side torso, without C.A.S.E. and a XL? Heck, that much ammo would outright kill you even if you had a standard engine lol

#14 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

View PostMercer Skye, on 07 November 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

Maybe not the sexiest thing on the battlefield, but the BrawlMaster I've taken up against 'Phracts and left them smoking piles of slag. But, as was mentioned earlier, if you haven't gone to Master (at the very least Elite for the 2x Basics), I'd just do that first. And then use that smexcee Battlemaster that came with your Overlord package.

You should rename this thing the Suicide Frankenpug.

#15 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 07 November 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

new favorite word "Frankenpug"

He's got a point though, there's some obvious problems with this mech, lots of ammo in side torso with XL (only ever do this with CASE and STD engine), also the one random medium pulse among 3 normal mediums isn't too great. Here, I've helped it out a bit while keeping with what whatever you were going for:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...753d8fabd0f2066

#16 Roboticus Prime

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

View Post***** n stuff, on 07 November 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

Dual Gauss and an ER PPC.

The LB-10's are for in-your-face brawling and the PPC is for when they try to run... and knocking off ECM ;)

The way I have mine built is slow (230 STD). But, I made it to follow an assault around.

#17 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostRoboticus03, on 07 November 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

The LB-10's are for in-your-face brawling and the PPC is for when they try to run... and knocking off ECM ;)

The way I have mine built is slow (230 STD). But, I made it to follow an assault around.

Oh I don't doubt it's effectiveness, but as long as PGI lets me have a 40 pinpoint damage alpha at long range I'd rather use that. That combo of mine could kill an atlas in 5 hits to the front ct and anything else in 4 or less. If I can hit them in the back it's 1 or 2 hits ( occasionally 3 on an atlas ) and if I can kill something by shooting a sidetorso it usually takes 1 less hit than a ct kill. The head is 1 shot, obviously.

#18 MalodorousMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 283 posts
  • Location, location, location

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 07 November 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Got a good laugh from "Suicide Frankenpug". Lol

#19 Geek Verve

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCentral Indiana, USA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostRoboticus03, on 07 November 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

That build is time bomb.... All that ammo in a side torso, without C.A.S.E. and a XL? Heck, that much ammo would outright kill you even if you had a standard engine lol

Just to clarify - you probably know this, but others who misread it may not - C.A.S.E. provides no benefit whatsoever when an XL engine is used.

#20 Roboticus Prime

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostGeek Verve, on 08 November 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

Just to clarify - you probably know this, but others who misread it may not - C.A.S.E. provides no benefit whatsoever when an XL engine is used.

I believe my second sentence handles the XL issue ;).

The point of my post is that mech is a Suicide-Frankenpug-Powderkeg, and you should be thankful there is not splash damage when that thing dies next to you! :)

Edited by Roboticus03, 08 November 2013 - 01:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users