- - - - -

6 Core Cpu Usage

18 replies to this topic

#1 3endless8oogie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

Why is mechwarrior using 2 of my 6 cores at around 80-90% ( 100% in a few peaks) and the other 4 only with around 20-40%?

Is there a way to use the cores more efficient? maybe a workaround or something?

I am looking for a way to improve the performance so every tip or hint is welcome..

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

Negative. The OS does the CPU scheduling. Most games use two to four cores. Any more than that are a waste for gaming.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

I'll send Lordred over to here when he gets on. He's big into this.

#4 3endless8oogie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

I am only thinking those peaks with 100% on 2 cores could be avoided if all cores would be used more "balanced".
Or maybe i am totaly wrong and this wouldn´t do anything to make the performance better. I am not that much into this kind of stuff...

#5 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

Is your CPU an AMD FX model? They work a little differently than most other multicore CPUs in that for a "six core" CPU you actually have three processing modules that are split in two. They call each half of the module a core but they actually share one floating point unit. Cryengine 3 with DX9 hits the floating point units of CPUs pretty hard, so that could be part of your issue.

One thing you can try if you think this is what is impacting you is disabling the even numbered cores so that you only have one core hitting each floating point unit. You can usually disable cores in the BIOS or you can set processor affinity in the task manager to prioritize the odd cores.

#6 3endless8oogie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

My cpu is the amd phenom2 x6 1055t, not overclocked or in anyway modified, I know it´s not realy powerfull but so far i had no game which would push it to 100% ( in the peaks) in 2 cores while the others were still under 50% (in the peaks), it was always floating around 40-60%- even on old engines that were not made to be handled by more then 1-2 cores .

MWO is my first game with the cryengine3 and atm i have set everything to low except the textures to get a reliable framerate.

Maybe my graficcard is a bit too old? its a gtx 560 1gb factory oc´ed
Ram should be fine with 8gb, atleast i hope so.....

I will experiment a bit with bios and gfx settings... any kind of hint/tip/workaround is still welcome.

.. or am i forced to upgrade my hardware? it´s around 3 years old...

#7 Anndy

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

View Post3endless8oogie, on 04 November 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

My cpu is the amd phenom2 x6 1055t, not overclocked or in anyway modified, I know it´s not realy powerfull but so far i had no game which would push it to 100% ( in the peaks) in 2 cores while the others were still under 50% (in the peaks), it was always floating around 40-60%- even on old engines that were not made to be handled by more then 1-2 cores .

MWO is my first game with the cryengine3 and atm i have set everything to low except the textures to get a reliable framerate.

I will experiment a bit with bios and gfx settings... any kind of hint/tip/workaround is still welcome.

running the 1100T black edition so it's a bit of an upgrade from what you have but you shouldn't have any issues with the CPU, i'll admit i don't know jack about Nvidia cards but i'm running the Radeon 6950 from MSI and they OC it quite a bit so could make a difference

#8 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

Your graphics card should be fine. I used to have an Nvidia 8800GTS 512 and MWO ran pretty well. My understanding is that DX9 uses the CPU more heavily, whereas DX11 uses the graphics card more. Also, your RAM should be fine. I have 8 gb in my machine. My bottle neck is now my CPU which is a Q6600, core 2 quad from 5 years ago. Even with my older components though I'm getting 40-50 fps average, but I have everything turned all the way to low, except my resolution. What is your framerate?

Edited by mailin, 04 November 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#9 3endless8oogie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

fps is something around 40 but drops depending on map and situation and those drops are realy horrible.
everything on low except for textures, atm iam even runing a low resolution1280x800.

could it be a problem that iam located in germany?i have a ping at 130-140...

still experimenting with options/gfxsettings , will try some bios-changes later...

#10 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

Only two "loaded" cores seems to mean your nVidia driver is old: You should be seeing three.

CryEngine likes to assign threads to cores on it's own …

Try putting the following into you user.cfg:
sys_main_CPU = 0
sys_streaming_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread0_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread2_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread3_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread4_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 0
ca_thread0Affinity = 0
ca_thread1Affinity = 0
sys_physics_CPU = 0

This seems to give control back to the OS/ Unicode …

I do find it interesting you're getting a load higher then 85% without trying: Got any tweaks you want to share? =)

missed a spot

Edited by Goose, 04 November 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#11 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

I play on a similar setup, I have a Phenom II 970 Black 4 core CPU and two GTI560s, but everything is OC'ed quite a bit in this rig and my cards are 1.5GB memory. I have run MWO just fine off of one card so I would think you would be ok too.

One thing about it only using two cores, I know Cryengine3 is advertised as supporting 8 cores, however, it really seems to only use four well from what I've read of people with more than 4 cores. It wasn't that long ago that most games were only single thread applications and a lot of games even now still only use two cores, so just because you have 6 cores does not necessarily mean that your chip is running the most efficiently when all of them are at a similar level of utilization. I usually have one core about maxed out and the other three running 25-50% when I play MWO.

A lot of programs are just not designed to take advantage of higher core counts because they are still fairly uncommon and it isn't worth the effort to code the optimization for high end CPUs that don't have that much market share. Most gamers agree the Intel i5 3570K is the best bang for your buck when it comes to gaming and it is only a quad core because that is all most games use effectively.

#12 3endless8oogie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

View PostGoose, on 04 November 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Only two "loaded" cores seems to mean your nVidia driver is old: You should be seeing three.

CryEngine likes to assign threads to cores on it's own …

Try putting the following into you user.cfg:
sys_main_CPU = 0
sys_streaming_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread0_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread2_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread3_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread4_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 0
ca_thread0Affinity = 0
ca_thread1Affinity = 0
sys_physics_CPU = 0

This seems to give control back to the OS/ Unicode …

I do find it interesting you're getting a load higher then 85% without trying:Got any tweaks you want to share? =)
missed a spot

Is it allowed to change the user.cfg? and where can I find it?

I realy have no idea what you mean with "Got any tweaks you want to share? =)" I am new to this game and i would just like to have it running smooth with maybe a bit more details and effects than everything on "low"...

Edit: Just updated my nvidia driver... now it seems like only 1 core has to do all the work, it´s always above 85%(100% in peaks)
I guess using the newest driver is not a good idea :)

Edited by 3endless8oogie, 05 November 2013 - 05:07 AM.

#13 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:58 AM

To tweak user.cfg, you need to create it as a plain text file in your MWO folder. It is not generated by the installer or client.

#14 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:55 AM

Yeah: user.cfg is a text file that is, or will be, found in, say, "D:\GAMES\Piranha\MechWarrior Online", or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha\MechWarrior Online", or wherever you installed it.

If you don't have one, just open up Notepad, or any other text editor you have on you computer, put in what you need, and save it as "user.cfg" to the proper subdirectory.

In the nVidia driver, you porbabaly need to got to the "Manage 3D settings" Task, use the Dropdown from Hell to find MechWarrrior Online, then set the Ambient Occlusion to OFF, and Threaded optimization to ON.

Here:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then, you'll want to install MSI Afterburner (or EVGA PersicionX) and use the RivaTuner Statistics Server, that it always comes with, to set a framerate limit for MWOClient.exe to about 45, like so:
Posted Image

Seems like a lot, but really it's easier done then said …

;-)

#15 EndlessBoogie

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

Thx for all the tips so far.

I have tried a bit with the user.cfg...

Atm it looks like this:

sys_main_CPU = 1
sys_streaming_CPU = 1
sys_TaskThread0_CPU = 1
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 1
sys_TaskThread2_CPU = 1
sys_TaskThread3_CPU = 1
sys_TaskThread4_CPU = 1
sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 1
ca_thread0Affinity = 1
ca_thread1Affinity = 1
sys_physics_CPU = 1

setting everything to "o" had no effect, but setting everything to "1" lowered the load on the 1 core that was pushed to 100%
and even with 1080 res and more effects,paticles, etc. it´s not hitting 100% on 1 single core, 2 of the other cores are getting around 50%, the rest about 20-30% load...
It´s a bit strange :)

I will try that afterbuner/rivatuner thingy later.

Any additional hint to the user.cfg is welcome.

#16 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

Er: OK

r_UsePOM = 0
r_silhouettePOM = 0
e_hw_occlusion_culling_objects = 1
e_hw_occulsion_culling_water = 1
r_FogShadows = 0
r_fogShadowsWater = 0

#17 Blalok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

*snip*

Your card isn't the issue. I'm running a gtx-260 stock, medium settings and getting 35-40 fps on current drivers.

#18 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

Dammit: I missed
r_WaterUpdateThread=0

;)

#19 GTV Zeratul

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

One other thing you could try is running MWO in the same resolution as your desktop. For some unknown reason MWO performs best at the desktop resolution on some systems.

I run a GTX560ti in a core i7 and my FPS never drops below 65 at 1280x720, though I fear what is going to happen when DX11 comes available.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users