Streaming Mwo

6 replies to this topic

#1 Goose Igaly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 282 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

So here's a question you may have seen before; I've been doing some research but my findings have been inconclusive:

I'm interested in streaming MWO, if nothing else for friends who don't have rigs strong enough to play. I'm having terrible FPS issues when I stream and am aware that this is due to the encoding process taking up CPU power. I've reduced game settings to minimal (a shame on my x58, gtx465 Fermi build) and have playable frames while streaming. Further still I've had to drastically reduce the streamed resolution and some other general settings.

I've done some research into capture cards, but have found that hardware supported x264 encoding isn't very good and would likely result in poor quality streams.

So, I'll pose this question to you guys. What are your thoughts on streaming relatively high quality MWO without tanking FPS. I'm sitting on a 1.5Mbps upload speed.

#2 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

Get OBS to a processor priority of less then normal? Change the processor affinity settings so OBS doesn't touch your busy core (should be the last one, running the physics thread.)

Both of those are done in TaskMan, any it seems like you have to set the affinity every time you launch OBS.

Do you have
sys_spec_Water = 1
sys_budget_soundCPU = 5
sys_spec_quality = 1
sys_spec_Physics = 1

in you user.cfg yet?

How about setting a framerate limiter to 45, and matching that number in OBS?

#3 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

If you've got an Nvidia card, update to the latest drivers, Nvidia shadowplay is *AMAZING*. If not, I'd try MSI afterburner. It's primarily a GPU overclocking tool, but it has built in video capture, and it's a lot more forgiving than, say, FRAPS.

#4 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

He said "streaming," so I assumed OBS.

I tried Afterburner output, once, and it was hugh

#5 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

I've been using ShadowPlay, and it really does well. At 1920x1080 60FPS in the Low Quality setting, it averages a little over 100 MB per minute. This is the first time I've ever done videos, so I have no idea whether that's good or bad ... but it doesn't seem bad to me.

#6 Strapt

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

UI 2.0 has screwed up my shadow play. Everything was working fine until the update. Anyone else experiencing the same problems ? Any solutions ?

#7 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:05 AM

You may have to {Richard Cameron} around with shadowplay settings, though I'm not 100%. I haven't tried it yet.

You could always setup a twitch.tv stream? ; )

Otherwise you're back to MSI Afterburner or fraps. Whether you take the same performance hit now that 2.0 is out or not is the big question.

[P.S. PGI. . . Richard Cameron?????? Interesting "profanity" filter PGI ^^

Edited by Sen, 05 February 2014 - 05:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users