#21 Claviger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:32 AM

View PostAutobot9000, on 18 November 2013 - 06:25 AM, said:

You should check your energy saver settings (should be on performance and no other setting) as well as a FPS hard cap, that can be set in various places (GPU driver software, in-game, third party tools...). I don't think it's the game's fault, even if you make it sound like it would be.

In my case, parking is disabled, energy saver at max performance, no idle capability on the gpus it's turned off so 3d full clock 24/7. There is nothing on my pc that tones itself down from fast as hell, and STILL limited to 90 fps using significantly less than 100% gpu resources. I am not cpu limited, and even pushing it to 5ghz does nothing to increase fps.

There IS something in mwo that is fail at using all resources available. For reference, in BF3, I get a steady lock at my 110 frame limiter except on the largest of maps. Even at 110 fps the GPUs stay pegged at 100%, and the buffer discards the excess frames, but they are still rendered.

Edited by Claviger, 18 November 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#22 RadioKies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Maybe it's because MWO runs on CryEngine and CryEngine is made for consoles. Consoles have {Scrap} videocards and so it is more CPU intensive. MWO doesn't use the whole CPU because it isn't optimalised (yet). The only time my GPU gets taxed is when I'm in the mechlab.

#23 Claviger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Very possible! Will be side-grading to dual gtx770s tomorrow and see how it goes.

#24 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

I just downloaded HWInfo and set up some on-screen readouts, and I found that Cores 01 and 03 are used the most, usually at about 80% during a game, while overall CPU usage hovers around 50%.

My GPU, on the other hand, sees close to 100% use, and doesn't throttle back (always set to max performance).

This is using a stock AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition @ 3.4 GHz. I'm also using an MSI/NVidia GTX 260, factory OC'd (I think it's the Core 216 chipset, whichever was the higher one of the GTX 260s). I usually get between 25 and 35 fps, depending on what phase of the battle I'm in.

I'm not sure if setting core affinity will help performance in this regard. I'll also try a CPU overclock and see if that helps with performance.

Edited by TELEFORCE, 29 November 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#25 RychuPL

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:29 AM

Very good research on this issue here: http://4x.reddit.com..._bottlenecking/

I have checked the training grounds and this is true that there is 100% GPU load but during the normal game it's around 50-60%.

Edited by RychuPL, 04 January 2014 - 03:54 AM.

#26 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

In the training grounds, none of the other 'Mechs move, nor are you talking to a server: This means the main thread isn't running any net code, and the two animation threads have jack-all to do.

Maxing out you GPU in the training grounds doesn't mean much; Not being able to hold a steady framerate, up against v-sync in the training grounds, is a dis-qualifier for the game. Setting your v-sync to half your monitors refresh … might, just might, get the duel-core guys into the game …

While I have always had TaskMan agree with HWiNFO64 about which core is which, when I assign threads to cores in user.cfg, it's anybodies guess what's going where: The last core is almost always the one with the maxed out load, regardless of what I type in.

This is the bottleneck for the game, this "something important on the last core" … Posted Image

#27 DarkenedShrines

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

Just for the record, UI 2.0 didn't change performance for the better. PGI might consider throwing nVidia overboard and snap in with AMD, so we can get a mantle update. ;)

#28 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

We are a DirectX game, and it'll take a lot more then just your post to get CryTek to change that, and then for PGI to fallow …

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users