• 31 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:41 AM

What is a good Gauss hit precentage?

#2 zztophat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:45 AM

Higher = Better.

That being said; don't sweat the details.

#3 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:54 AM

Depends on how much ammo you have. On CTF-4X with 4AC5 and over 300 rounds i can afford to miss allot of shot, with gauss, not so much. I miss maybe 10%(20%max) of the shots per match, because i cant afford to miss due to low ammo count.
But who cares, if you have other weapons in case you run dry and you help your team then its all good.

Edited by Turist0AT, 13 January 2014 - 07:10 AM.

#4 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

If you're helping your team win and having fun doing it, your hit percentage is just fine.

#5 ToxinTractor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 295 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:07 AM

Your personal hit percentage should be high enough to justify the amount of ammo you use. If your hitting about 6/10 rounds per ton of ammo (60% hit rate) then you arnt looking to shabby you know? Always try though to take aim at targets you know you can hit, unless you have the ammo to spare no need to take a risky shot like a 700m light running at full speed sideways or some random {Scrap} like that you know?

Personally for gauss, if im using it as my primary weapon I pack about 4 tons of ammo max. More if im a bigger mech generally. Try to make every round count.

My personal hit rate for gauss is 60.15%. Isnt great I know. Personally though i havent used the weapon much- only have about 29 games or so in it.

#6 REDERK23

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:15 AM

Thanks, but its a bit of a sport for me ;) Just wondering, no sweat :lol:

#7 ToxinTractor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 295 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

View PostREDERK23, on 13 January 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

Thanks, but its a bit of a sport for me ;) Just wondering, no sweat :lol:

Well then im sure you will be making those shots count <_< see how high you can get it!

#8 DarkDevilDancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

GAUSS RIFLE 957 16,429 10,214 62.17%
Thats mine its not super impressive but that goes with a sniper weapon and a european ping.

#9 BillyM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

I'll avoid filling this thread with the nancy-pants "more is better" or some other worthless dribble.

...gauss is heavy, the ammo is heavy, and you want to hit with as much as possible.

In a mech with somewhat ample backup weapons (gauss-2LL dragon) you want to run out of ammo on good games, but still have ample ammo to do considerable damage. 4-tons on the trial dragon feels ABOUT right. That said, you have enough rounds to "waste" a few. That means taking shots at folks 1000m-out, or trying for the 600m running light. Those will sometimes land some surprise damage, at the expense of your hit percentage. I take numerous long-shots with mine, and average 65% or so. For those really working towards good hit percentages, 75% would be do-able, but you aren't taking many long-shots. ...those most interested in hitting every single time should see 85% possible, but they are missing lots of opportunities to do good damage (and I expect their dmg/match is low compared to those with 65-75% hit ratios).

--billyM

#10 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,436 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:00 AM

View PostBillyM, on 13 January 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

I'll avoid filling this thread with the nancy-pants "more is better" or some other worthless dribble.

...gauss is heavy, the ammo is heavy, and you want to hit with as much as possible.

In a mech with somewhat ample backup weapons (gauss-2LL dragon) you want to run out of ammo on good games, but still have ample ammo to do considerable damage. 4-tons on the trial dragon feels ABOUT right. That said, you have enough rounds to "waste" a few. That means taking shots at folks 1000m-out, or trying for the 600m running light. Those will sometimes land some surprise damage, at the expense of your hit percentage. I take numerous long-shots with mine, and average 65% or so. For those really working towards good hit percentages, 75% would be do-able, but you aren't taking many long-shots. ...those most interested in hitting every single time should see 85% possible, but they are missing lots of opportunities to do good damage (and I expect their dmg/match is low compared to those with 65-75% hit ratios).

--billyM

A major factor is the skill of your enemies, lots of players are good enough to dodge AC/SRM shots. Even the new slow PPC can be dodged. ^_^

I find LRM weapons to be in the 20-40% range, SRM, SSRM and AC weapons in the 50-70 % range and Energy weapons the most accurate in the 70-90% range. (just a general average of my personal stats, some are very bad :blink: )

I would be very impressed to see anything at 100% ! :D

#11 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

I, on the other hand, would really like to see percentages for "didn't change enough" and "waited too long" out of the misses … Only with better names:D

#12 Vegetal Maldito

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

140 matches, 71.69%

By reading this thread I think my gauss stats are good. I don't go wasting ammo on everything I see, but I try to hit lights most of the time. Once I one shotted a Locust 800m away, running away from me, it was satisfying :D

Oh, I almost exclusively used the Gauss on a Dragon, if you are curious...

#13 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

View PostGoose, on 13 January 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

I, on the other hand, would really like to see percentages for "didn't change enough" and "waited too long" out of the misses … Only with better names:angry:

"Didn't charge enough" - changed to - "Oh look a team mate" :D
"Waited too long" - changed to - "Already dead, next" :angry:

The charge mechanic allows you to be more efficient with your Gauss ammo. As well help your team mates survive when they run in front of you. :rolleyes:

#14 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

View PostAmsro, on 13 January 2014 - 09:13 PM, said:

The charge mechanic allows you to be more efficient with your Gauss ammo. As well help your team mates survive when they run in front of you. :D

I've found the exact opposite to be true about ammo consumption. The charge/dissipate mechanic makes me more prone to fire while I've got the chance and just hope for the best, because if I don't I might not have a shot at all by the time I get the damned thing recharged. Before I'd use the Gauss as a powerful, long range scalpel, now it's more like a club.

As for helping your team mates survive, I don't see how it helps at all. Either walk in front of you when you shoot or they don't. Unless you get into voice chat and declare that you're charging your Gauss. Maybe I rarely hit friendlies with Gauss because I'm used to the idea of not firing if I'm not certain of the shot. (Which goes hand-in-hand with how the weapon is no longer a scalpel for me, I can no longer take my time and line up precision shots.)

#15 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:29 AM

View PostEscef, on 13 January 2014 - 11:38 PM, said:

I've found the exact opposite to be true about ammo consumption. The charge/dissipate mechanic makes me more prone to fire while I've got the chance and just hope for the best, because if I don't I might not have a shot at all by the time I get the damned thing recharged. Before I'd use the Gauss as a powerful, long range scalpel, now it's more like a club.

As for helping your team mates survive, I don't see how it helps at all. Either walk in front of you when you shoot or they don't. Unless you get into voice chat and declare that you're charging your Gauss. Maybe I rarely hit friendlies with Gauss because I'm used to the idea of not firing if I'm not certain of the shot. (Which goes hand-in-hand with how the weapon is no longer a scalpel for me, I can no longer take my time and line up precision shots.)

Are you using a joystick to aim? Even so, if you are not able to "take your time" and line up your shots then you are charging the Gauss too soon. As obviously you are not ready to fire by your own admission. ;)

Once the timing becomes secondary you can match your movements with Gauss and be a scalpel again. :(

#16 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:36 AM

View PostAmsro, on 14 January 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

Are you using a joystick to aim?

Nope.

View PostAmsro, on 14 January 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

Even so, if you are not able to "take your time" and line up your shots then you are charging the Gauss too soon. As obviously you are not ready to fire by your own admission. ;)

Therein lies the problem, I'm ready, but when I need the weapon to be ready it isn't. Target movements are often too erratic to know exactly when the shot will be right. And I've found that if I start charging when I'm satisfied with the shot the target will often do something to break my shot. I've adapted by being less picky about my shots. The weapon itself prevents me from having a proper firing window, so I have to make do simply with something that "should hit" the target, as opposed to before hand if I chose to settle it would be something that "should hit" a specific location.

#17 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

I have taken a liking to my 3 Guass Illya, with 40 rounds at the end of matches where I fire every round I have around 550 damage almost every time, so im hitting with around 36 out of 40 shots, i think thats around 90%, obviously though with only 13 total shots I make damn sure Ill hit the target Im aiming at and not take many pot shots.
Regular duall gauss mechs I use such as the jaeger, have about a 70% accuracy because I fire at just about anything, given all the extra ammo I can carry.

Edited by DONTOR, 14 January 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#18 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostEscef, on 14 January 2014 - 06:36 AM, said:

Sound reasoning.

I can agree to your observations, but I'm sure you can still adapt to a slightly different play style to keep that shot available. Once in 10 matches will what you describe happen to me.

View PostDONTOR, on 14 January 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

I have taken a liking to my 3 Guass Illya, with 40 rounds at the end of matches where I fire every round I have around 550 damage almost every time, so im hitting with around 36 out of 40 shots, i think thats around 90%, obviously though with only 13 total shots I make damn sure Ill hit the target Im aiming at and not take many pot shots.
Regular duall gauss mechs I use such as the jaeger, have about a 70% accuracy because I fire at just about anything, given all the extra ammo I can carry.

The armor and speed keeps me from trying this... The dual Gauss is just too good to chop up. ;) Tempting tho! :(

#19 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

50KPH and 290ish armor, granted thats not great but be mindful of your surrondings and stay out of the direct fight and its plenty. I basicaly front load all of my armor for this build so it can still take some hits.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users