Spam A House, Or Spread It Out?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

So, the Phoenix Packages unlocked early access to the loyalty pendants you can hang in your cockpit to boost loyalty point gain.

What I'm curious on, is if it would be more prudent to stack one house (Roll 'mech to 'mech, match to match), or to wait and see how the factions are going to play out for bonuses, then grab the pedants for the ones you like the most?

As it is, I've only picked up the one pendant so far for the faction I know I'm going to be grinding on to start with. Still going to wait for CW to see what I'm going to do with the other picks, just curious on if there is any definite word on how things are going to work.

#2 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

No definite word, but unless you just hate the idea of having to move the medallion around, or don't want to risk forgetting to, then I wouldn't stack them. Given it's only a tiny bonus though, not like it's a huge deal either way.

#3 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:07 PM

I plan to take 5 different ones. But if I had to pick duplicates I would only pick two of the same house. That way while one is still in match I can use the second one to keep leveling up loyalty. But if I have 3 then one will be laying around unused.

Also once a faction is leveled up to max the medallions will be useless, that is unless you can loose faction some how.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 06 November 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostHexenhammer, on 06 November 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

Also once a faction is leveled up to max the medallions will be useless, that is unless you can loose faction some how.

Some would argue that they are not entirely useless, they just cease to offer any increase in loyalty after that XD
IE - I would say the house Raselhague one looks awesome (to bad they dislike us mercs so.... :( :) )

#5 Herbstwind

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 104 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:40 AM

iirc I did not have the option to select a pendant for the same house twice, so for now you can only select different ones.

edit : ignore pls, see posting of SpankN below

Edited by Herbstwind, 07 November 2013 - 02:39 AM.

#6 SpankN

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 98 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

View PostHerbstwind, on 07 November 2013 - 12:40 AM, said:

iirc I did not have the option to select a pendant for the same house twice, so for now you can only select different ones.

Strange, all four of mine I picked as Steiner.

#7 Herbstwind

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 104 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:38 AM

View PostSpankN, on 07 November 2013 - 01:39 AM, said:

then I obviously remembered incorrectly :)

#8 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

I'm not picking a thing until we have more details on what it'll actually do in game.

#9 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

The current word is that joining a faction requires a grind of about 2 hrs. I'm guessing the implication is 30 matches or so. Since there is no rush at all I'd just wait until the medallions actually mean something. It isn't as if you are losing anything by not choosing.

#10 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

I just got one for each of the 4 houses I intend to be supporting most instead of banking on just one house... But I'm no loyalist, so this fits me.

#11 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 07 November 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

I just got one for each of the 4 houses I intend to be supporting most instead of banking on just one house... But I'm no loyalist, so this fits me.

I'll go you one better: I'm not even picking houses until I see the benefits. True mercenary. ;)

#12 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,647 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostMercer Skye, on 06 November 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

So, the Phoenix Packages unlocked early access to the loyalty pendants you can hang in your cockpit to boost loyalty point gain.

What I'm curious on, is if it would be more prudent to stack one house (Roll 'mech to 'mech, match to match), or to wait and see how the factions are going to play out for bonuses, then grab the pedants for the ones you like the most?

As it is, I've only picked up the one pendant so far for the faction I know I'm going to be grinding on to start with. Still going to wait for CW to see what I'm going to do with the other picks, just curious on if there is any definite word on how things are going to work.

You should take different houses, most likely, unless you're really, really interested in making rank in a single house. Overall, you'll get more out of different medals.

However, you should not pick a single thing until you have details of the bonuses those houses provide.

#13 Icepick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts
  • LocationProbably at Work

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

Since I intend to seek max rank in ALL of the houses, I will pick the 4 that I like the least, so that I will rank up faster.

But...I need more info on faction rewards before I actually make a choice.

#14 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

I picked 3 of one house, and 1 of the other.

IF we get a mode (that's been hinted at) where we get to pick from 4 of our mechs after we launch, moving stuff around won't be an option. Beyond that, it's nice to occasionally drop and roll into another mech after you die.

#15 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostBront, on 07 November 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

I picked 3 of one house, and 1 of the other.

IF we get a mode (that's been hinted at) where we get to pick from 4 of our mechs after we launch, moving stuff around won't be an option. Beyond that, it's nice to occasionally drop and roll into another mech after you die.

Good point. My bigger concern around that is what that means about having to buy a pile of engines and additional copies of modules that I currently "share around."

#16 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 07 November 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

Good point. My bigger concern around that is what that means about having to buy a pile of engines and additional copies of modules that I currently "share around."

I'm not worrying to much about it. XD
If nothing else, it will mean I need to dedicate some time to buying some more engines, rather than new mechs.

Edit.
Modules on the other hand.... THAT could get expensive.

Edited by Shar Wolf, 07 November 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#17 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostSpankN, on 07 November 2013 - 01:39 AM, said:

As it should be! Kudos on representing!

And I all House Kurita.

To me switching houses to "LVL" up loyalty points to unlock something is absurd.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

I got one for each of the important houses which includes the first team to get absorbed into Clan Ghost Bear. Because if anyone's getting the tech first it's them. ;)

#19 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:37 AM

View PostAmsro, on 07 November 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

As it should be! Kudos on representing!

And I all House Kurita.

To me switching houses to "LVL" up loyalty points to unlock something is absurd.

And to me making game decisions for fluff reasons is absurd. I want to see the mechanics and see what the smart play is for me. Fluff...is aptly named. :)

Both are, in actuality, valid POVs.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 08 November 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

Fluff...is aptly named. ;)

Exactly, and we know PGI's take on fluff. "Left shoulder item" is another applicable name. Sadly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users