6 replies to this topic

#1 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

I have the ember, K, and A variants.

curious what some of the best load outs are.

So far I am enjoying my Ember set up like this

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8d201a4025dac31

My alternates for the other variants is either 1 ERLL or PPC and 3 or 4 mediums or 8 SL amd AMS

curious if there is anything more that can be done with this?

#2 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

While it may not be entirely helpful, I fully intend to run this build when I get round to Firestarters: FS9-A

#3 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUK, Buckinghamshire

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:05 AM

Ember quasi-Hollander:http://mwo.smurfy-ne...84d3f41a6e741d5 Come at me.

#4 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:59 AM

8 SPL on K, 7 ML on S(+2Ams), 2AC2 on H or some crappy Jenner loadout ^_^

Trying to keep max engine and max Jay jays.

Ember imo is the worst Firestarter, you are free to correct me on this one because i dont own it and thus cant really talk smack about it.

Edited by Turist0AT, 07 April 2014 - 04:09 AM.

#5 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

I run my H with an 255XL, 3xML, and an AC5. I've seen Edmeister of the NGNG crew (and a pretty good light jock) run something similar, giving up the third ML to swap to a UAC5 (don't know if he stuck with it).

My S and K both run 280XLs, one has 2xML and a LPL, the other 2xML, 2xAMS, and an ERLL. They all do ok.

The FS9s are solid little lights, and you generally have to go out of your way (or not have enough c-bills to properly kit it out) to make a bad one.

EDIT: As a side note, I've seen what appears to be THIS build kicking around a lot, and it works as well.

Edited by Escef, 07 April 2014 - 06:05 AM.

#6 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostTurist0AT, on 07 April 2014 - 03:59 AM, said:

Ember imo is the worst Firestarter, you are free to correct me on this one because i dont own it and thus cant really talk smack about it.

No, the Ember is the worst because it has the fewest energy hardpoints. It trades them for uesless ballistic hardpoints, four of them. Still, I've run it with 4 ML, 4 MPL, and 2 ML/2 MPL with varying amounts of heat sinks.

If you want ballistic hardpoints to use an autocannon, you go with the FS9-H, because it has 2 ballistic points but 2 more energy points than the Ember.

Machine guns suck. I'm not even talking about the poor damage or accuracy. To use them, you have to sustain continuous fire. Rather than bobbing and weaving and evading wherever you please while your lasers recharge, you have to move back and forth or circle your target, and you are much, much more likely to get hit. And you're less likely to see it coming (also less likely to see what your target is doing) because the spray is distracting and obscures your vision.

#7 Vellinious

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 254 posts
  • LocationCorn field

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:25 AM

Actually, the Ember fills the role that the Firestarter embodies the best. The Firestarter just doesn't have the light fighting ability of the Jenner, and it never will. Pilot skill being equal, the Jenner will win 9 out of 10 times in head to head matchups. Most of the comp teams end up using an Ember as a crit seeking killer. Find a weak component, hopefully the right side components on most of the sniper meta mechs, use the 4 medium lasers to finish off the armor, and then pop them with machine guns until the crits take off that body part, leaving the mech useless. They're perfect for that role. The other more, energy laden builds are at a disadvantage in terms of heat to the Jenner as well, as the Jenner can put more heat sinks in the engine, instead of in the torsos.

I've mastered all of them, and can say without a doubt, that the Ember is the only one I would consider playing in a comp drop. But only in certain weighted drops, and certainly, only when there are specific objectives built around it's being in the group.

I just don't think it's the best option for solo queue players. You either have heat issues with the medium laser builds, range issues with small pulse laser builds, or alpha potential issues with the machine gun builds. The Jenner remains the best option for the solo queue player.

Edited by Vellinious, 08 April 2014 - 06:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users