• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

Mods if this needs to be in a different section feel free to move it:

I was in 3pv the other night as I started a match to take a look at my mech's new paint job and I noticed that every time my crosshairs came into proximity of a friendly mech they automatically moved an extra bit to land directly on the mech.

Essentially what appeared to be happening was an "auto" or "assisted" aim that automatically made minor placement corrections in order to ensure the crosshairs fall on to a target.

Is this an unintended bug?

Edited by Sandpit, 11 November 2013 - 07:57 AM.

#2 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

It's because your targeting LOS moved into a closer target. You don't have a fixed perspective anymore so the crosshair has to move to accurately reflect what you are going to hit... i.e. what you are targeting.

You will notice the same thing with terrain.

#3 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

The reticule is ray traced from the cockpit. As it moves across objects of varying distances, it will appear to "jump" around, often it unexpected ways. It is in no way assist.

#4 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

In nearly every other video game ever made (afaik) and almost every real life situation, your sight line is as close as possible to the sight line of what you are firing.

In MW:O, you have weapons scattered all over your body with with your vision being centered in the head. In order for the weapons to point at the same thing you are looking at, they have to twist in their mount quite a bit. What you seeing is the movement of the weapons based on the range of what you're looking at.

It's happening in first person too, but you can't see it because you are directly behind the reticule. You can see it when viewed from 3rd person because you are now looking at it from "outside".

#5 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

Just to clarify and hopefully head off any trolls or opinions on the whole 3PV subject I'm not asking for a debate on the subject, I'm not asking for a 3PV debate. I am merely pointing it out for the devs because I didn't know if it was a bug or intended feature. This is exactly why I didn't post any opinion on the matter, just the factual representation of what I saw in the game in case it is a bug.

It would move on its own to land directly on a mech even though I would stop the crosshairs a good bit off of the mechs, the first time it happened I didn't move the crosshairs at all and they were approximately a 1/4 inch away from a friendly mech and just jumped directly on to the center torso area of the mech.

#6 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:21 AM

View PostSandpit, on 07 November 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

Just to clarify and hopefully head off any trolls or opinions on the whole 3PV subject I'm not asking for a debate on the subject, I'm not asking for a 3PV debate. I am merely pointing it out for the devs because I didn't know if it was a bug or intended feature. This is exactly why I didn't post any opinion on the matter, just the factual representation of what I saw in the game in case it is a bug.

As other have said before:
This is because the crosshair line of sight is not rendered from the 3rd person view, but from the original cockpit view.

View PostSandpit, on 07 November 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

It would move on its own to land directly on a mech even though I would stop the crosshairs a good bit off of the mechs, the first time it happened I didn't move the crosshairs at all and they were approximately a 1/4 inch away from a friendly mech and just jumped directly on to the center torso area of the mech.

There is no autoaiming involved in any way. It is just a matter of perspective.

You can test this yourself. Get into your mech and on the testing ground. Stay in your cockpit and move the reticule until it is right next to the targetet mech, but not yet on it. Then release your mouse or whatever you are using to control your mech. Then press F4 (and nothing else) to switch into 3PV. See that your reticule is no longer right next to the mech but still aiming at the same spot on the ground. Now press F4 again to get back into the cockpit and move the reticule the last few pixels to aim at the mech. Again relase all controls and switch to 3PV. Notice how the reticule is now on the mech exactly where you were aiming at from your cockpit. Do not switch back to the cockpit but move the crosshair back from the mech for a few pixels and notice how it jumps back to point of terrain you were aiming at before.

This is no magic or aim assistance.

#7 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:01 AM

Take a video if you think it's auto-assist aiming and post that.

#8 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:16 AM

The weapons need to converge to the target when the range is calculated.

#9 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:34 AM

Guys, tone it down a little bit, there's no tin foil here, just asked in case it was a bug. I also sent in a support ticket. Thanks for responding though ;)

#10 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostSandpit, on 08 November 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

Guys, tone it down a little bit

;)

I didn't sense any tone at all from any of the posts...

#11 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

I'm going to contribute just for the sake of sounding smart...

The targeting and aiming systems for MechWarrior: Online are all based on the Mech cockpit's perspective. Since the third-person view mode is observed from a floating drone, yet the targeting systems are based on the cockpit, it causes a slight desychronization owing to the two different "viewing" perspectives - your Mech always views things from the cockpit, regardless of where you, as the player, are viewing things. This phenomenon is intended to occur because it prevents players from locking onto targets that are only viewable from the third-person drone, and not visible from the Mech's cockpit.

The consequence is that the targeting reticule will always be displayed where the Mech is aiming, and not simply "in the middle of the screen" like many video games do when changing from one viewing perspective to another. If this were a typical run-and-gun shooter with the option to change viewing modes, then the reticule would probably always be in the center of the screen, but MW:O has a robust target tracking and targeting system that depends on Line of Sight... This means that leaving the reticule in the middle of the screen like a typical shooter would allow players to lock onto targets that are only viewable by the third-person drone. The developers of MW:O, rather, made the aiming system 100% linked to the Mech's own viewpoint, and so when you sweep the reticle across terrain it will seem to jump around as it adjusts for range/distance.

You'll notice that these "jumps" almost always take place when sweeping your targeting reticule across environmental features and other battlefield objects that differ in their distance to your Mech. If you're in 3rd person mode and pointing out into the distance while there's a Mech in front of you, then you can move your reticule just a little to the side while trying to aim at a different point in the distance but you are actually making your Mech point at the object in front of you... Even though (according to the position of the center of your screen) it looks like you should be pointing into the distance. That's because the thing in front of your Mech is blocking your Mech from aiming at that position in the distance that you're trying to aim at with the drone.

Think of it this way: When in 3PV, you are not "aiming" left, right, up, and down... You're "ordering your Mech to aim" left, right, up, and down, like operating a remote-controlled car. The Mech will give you feedback about where it is aiming by showing you the reticule. The reticule will move around to where ever the Mech is actually aiming, and not where you "intend" for it to be aiming.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 08 November 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

View PostEgomane, on 08 November 2013 - 03:21 AM, said:

As other have said before:
This is because the crosshair line of sight is not rendered from the 3rd person view, but from the original cockpit view.

This. But more precisely it is drawn directly from the cockpit mount or viewpoint. However in third person this viewpoint bounces as the mech walks while it remains perfectly stationary and 'glides' in first person. In reality your aim is thusly gimped and inferior in third person.

Here's 3 vids with this topic.

Before third person.

Third person, gliding first person versus third person aim bob.

The original poster's shifting line of sight" issue is very visually prevalent here in this ROFLpult video. Notice it shifts to line of sight, not to mechs. The result of this actually complicates aiming.

#13 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

Thanks guys, jsut wanted to make sure it wasn't a bug. Mods should probably lock this before it turns into the inevitable 3pv flame and troll wars 2.0 lol

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Just re-title the thread. It's much easier. Besides it is important for people to know the difference. It'll get buried if it's locked.

#15 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostKoniving, on 08 November 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

Just re-title the thread. It's much easier. Besides it is important for people to know the difference. It'll get buried if it's locked.

I'm trying to figure out how to do so.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

View PostSandpit, on 11 November 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

I'm trying to figure out how to do so.

"Edit" the original post. "Use full editor." There ya go. :D

#17 Sandpit