Do The Gms Consider It Punishable Non-Participation

41 replies to this topic

#21 IS GunGrave

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 44 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

FF is a problem in MWO... I think there should be a report option or mechanism!

#22 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

I guess it is theoretically possible, that you encountered an entire team of greifers, that were all on TS together, and they decided for no reason what so ever to rip you to pieces and leave you there.

And that you didn't do anything, or say anything to trigger this reaction, but just dropped into the game and get attacked...

It could've happened that way I guess...

I'm having a hard time buying into it though.

Edited by OldOrgandonor, 08 November 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'm figuring the situation is more hypothetical or no one helped him after one or two screwed him.

#24 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

That's a weird question asked by the OP. Obviously you couldn't get punished for that, but the thing I ask myself is: Why are you not instantly leaving and reporting said player using a screenshot of chat, if any occurred. Whenever I see someone starting to open fire on team mates I turn around and kill the offender.

#25 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostAutobot9000, on 08 November 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

Whenever I see someone starting to open fire on team mates I turn around and kill the offender.

And thereby you brake the rules yourself and become reportable.
Do not do this! Please!

#26 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostEgomane, on 08 November 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

And thereby you brake the rules yourself and become reportable.
Do not do this! Please!

I have to disagree. Defending your team mates from friendly fire is an assist to your team. I don't know what specific rule that is against, but if it is, then the rule needs to change not my behavior. Also it should be incredibly easy for the developers to actually record events like component destructions or coring/killing team mates in the early stage of a game and hence have actual data if a report is being filed. I absolutely don't see an excuse here for either the offending people nor for the developers to figure the situation out.

#27 BreakinStuff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostKoniving, on 08 November 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

I'm figuring the situation is more hypothetical or no one helped him after one or two screwed him.

nothing hypothetical about it. was two people, not the whole team. I refrained from shooting back because har har whatever. it just means I shouldn't present my back. Nope.

So I hid in a nice hole and powered down, and the guys who shot me got all OUTRAEG that I might survive and started spamming to the open chat that they all should report me for non-participation. It's hilarious because they were mad I caused the game to drag out, and because I was the sole survivor on my team.

Had they left me alone I'd probably have been the first person killed. I'm just that awesome.

#28 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:54 PM

Why did they shoot you?

You still haven't offered an explanation or theory.

People don't usually have this experience - unless they've done something to rile up other players.

#29 BreakinStuff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

View PostAppogee, on 08 November 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

Why did they shoot you?

People don't usually have this experience - unless they've done something to rile up other players.

I'm still trying to figure it out. Although I was teamkilled by a buncha twits a while back because apparently Liao means you're automatically a goon. I DID report those idjits. PGI told me it was resolved. This was the first Friendly fire incident I've considered noteworthy since then.

#30 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:28 AM

View PostBreakinStuff, on 08 November 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

when your teammates blow off both your arms, right and left torso, destroy a leg and then leave you...

and you go hide and shut down because you're at that point useless to the match?

Bear in mind I'm referring to a completely disarmed mech at this point. at the beginning of a match.

If you're disarmed you can still distract the enemy or cap, but if the fight is hopeless anyway you may as well not bother. If you care about your stats you may want to hide somewhere and shutdown, but I never do unless my team is currently winning by points on conquest. I prefer to get a match over with quickly if it's a guaranteed loss, so in that case if I'm the last player alive and I'm unarmed I'll let the enemy kill me.

#31 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostAutobot9000, on 08 November 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

I have to disagree. Defending your team mates from friendly fire is an assist to your team. I don't know what specific rule that is against, but if it is, then the rule needs to change not my behavior. Also it should be incredibly easy for the developers to actually record events like component destructions or coring/killing team mates in the early stage of a game and hence have actual data if a report is being filed. I absolutely don't see an excuse here for either the offending people nor for the developers to figure the situation out.

It isn't that simple. Yes they could collect the data. For every single match. And store it where? Even if it wasn't a huge amount of data per game, it would add up quickly. Or they could simply say don't shoot each, period.

Also, how do you know you aren't shooting someone who is simply defending themselves? IE you didn't see the first shot, so got the wrong idea? If we all did what you suggest, then we would have to help the guy you are shooting defend himself from the ******* and you. Then we wind up with a FFA on our own base.

OR, we could just report it and move on.

View PostAppogee, on 08 November 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

Why did they shoot you?

I doubt it's a troll account with Overlord. And if you've never been shot at by some random twit, then you've been lucky. I had a guy shoot me twice while we were capping in Conquest. 1st time I thought was accident so I moved a bit to the side so he could "continue testing". Then he did it again, so I moved behind him and stayed there while he squirmed. Finally he stopped moving and said "sorry". I figure he got bored and started shooting, and then realized he was alive only because I didn't kill him (he must have really sucked for me to out maneuver him).

#32 Heavenly Angel

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

Don't mess with the grumpy old men in this game. They take their internet robots very seriously.

#33 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostEgomane, on 08 November 2013 - 02:40 AM, said:

If the other players did that to you, I'd report them for griefing. Simple as that!

They effectivly took you out of the game, so you couldn't participate anymore. They weakend their own team, lowering the chance to have a fair fight with the opposing team, thereby lessening the enjoyment for everyone else on both teams.

Even if you did something to provoke that reaction, it is not the place of the community to exact justice. The community is here to play and not to be jury and judge about other players. That's what we have the gamemasters at support for.

So you want to rely on the "Gamemasters" who as far as I can tell haven't done anything to anyone except a few emails sent to warn. BS, if some ***** shoots me while I'm looking at the large map and thinking about strategy for my premade and then says "Wake up", he's gonna get shot for his jackassery! If he proceeds to shot then he's gonna get stripped. At that point I am the Judge, Jury and Executioner.

I don't shoot anyone on my team till they shoot me intentionally, or if they keep unintentionally shooting me while trying to shoot an enemy through me, or while your parked on my back not allowing me to back up. You get what I think you deserve. Complain all you like about it, I'm done being nice to jerks who think that they can shoot through me to steel my kills, shoot through me to get a kill, blocking me from moving, or shoot me because I'm not moving while I look at the damn map! You play your game and I'll play my game!

#34 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

game last night, premades, so one premade guy grabs command. People ask if hes going to command. Guy doesnt even speak, typical premade in their bubble, no clue about the rest of the team. Clear non participation. All we wanted was an order, a wp, even a clue that the guy was sentient.... but no.

#35 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostWerewolf486, on 10 November 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

<words and stuff>
You play your game and I'll play my game!

That would work just fine, but we are all playing PGI's game, so their rules apply. Keep it up and you may just find out they do more than send warning emails.

I do know that if you turn around and Alpha me, I will report you. I don't give a damn if someone else shot you in the back, friendly or not, or whatever you think I did or didn't do. Hell even if I did block you, maybe i was trying to push, and think you are the ****** for trying to back up, did you think of that?

That's why it's against the rules to shoot each other. We all have different ideas, thoughts styles etc on how to play. Report it and move on. FTR, I think they do more than send warnings, as I've reported more than my share of names, and most I've never seen again, and I don't think it's because we have 42 million new players online. -_-

#36 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 10 November 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

That would work just fine, but we are all playing PGI's game, so their rules apply. Keep it up and you may just find out they do more than send warning emails.

You play your game and I'll play my game - explained: Quit telling me what to do, or how to play, or telling me to get moving. I maybe looking at the big map to watch enemy movements, while your shooting at me and telling me what to do. I score 500+ damage most games, wind up as one of the last people still alive (when we win), and play more strategy then rushing in and die like a pug! My 4 mans usually wind up winning the match while the pugs rush to their death, usually have the lions share of the kills and damage to back up the kills and play very well.

I do know that if you turn around and Alpha me, I will report you. I don't give a damn if someone else shot you in the back, friendly or not, or whatever you think I did or didn't do.

Report me, If I shoot you it's because YOU Shot me in the back and I've confirmed it with my team, or you were3 stupid and blocked my movement.

Hell even if I did block you, maybe i was trying to push, and think you are the ****** for trying to back up, did you think of that?

Why are you pushing anyone, that's just rude to begin with, again if you're up my ars and blocking me then you deserve to get shot by me or anyone else in the game for your stupidity in crowding anyone on your team. Leave some space to allow for others to maneuver rather than being stupid and up someones ars!

That's why it's against the rules to shoot each other. We all have different ideas, thoughts styles etc on how to play. Report it and move on. FTR, I think they do more than send warnings, as I've reported more than my share of names, and most I've never seen again, and I don't think it's because we have 42 million new players online. -_-

Never, never have I seen anything past an email warning sent to anyone. I've never received one and unless you're the biggest offender of any rule they just don't really care enough to do anything about it. They can claim they do something, but I've never seen any prof of it outside of a letter. PGI makes no effort to clean up this game in any possible way and allows it to be a lawless game full of people spewing horrible {Scrap} in chat and making no effort to fix it or give the option to turn it off. So excuse me while I chuckle at the idea of them doing anything to punish anyone.

#37 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostWerewolf486, on 10 November 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

You play your game and I'll play my game - explained: Quit telling me what to do, or how to play, or telling me to get moving. I maybe looking at the big map to watch enemy movements, while your shooting at me and telling me what to do. I score 500+ damage most games, wind up as one of the last people still alive (when we win), and play more strategy then rushing in and die like a pug! My 4 mans usually wind up winning the match while the pugs rush to their death, usually have the lions share of the kills and damage to back up the kills and play very well.

That isn't how i took what you said, but I agree that in general the more people try to tell random strangers what to do, the more likely it is that they don't have a clue.

Report me, If I shoot you it's because YOU Shot me in the back and I've confirmed it with my team, or you were3 stupid and blocked my movement.

First, it's against the rules, second you don't make the rules, and lastly, what gives you the right to determine who is stupid? You just got through saying I had no right to tell you what to do, but now you have the right to shoot me if I don't move the way you want me to?

Why are you pushing anyone, that's just rude to begin with, again if you're up my ars and blocking me then you deserve to get shot by me or anyone else in the game for your stupidity in crowding anyone on your team. Leave some space to allow for others to maneuver rather than being stupid and up someones ars!

Pushing as in pushing the attack. I thought it was a common use term, but maybe it's a DHB thing. So to clarify what I meant, maybe I thought the tactically sound thing to do was attack the enemy in force, when suddenly you stopped and started backing up. Some people consider that to be "stupid" and even "cowardly" (reference the timidity thread etc.....).

Never, never have I seen anything past an email warning sent to anyone. I've never received one and unless you're the biggest offender of any rule they just don't really care enough to do anything about it. They can claim they do something, but I've never seen any prof of it outside of a letter. PGI makes no effort to clean up this game in any possible way and allows it to be a lawless game full of people spewing horrible {Scrap} in chat and making no effort to fix it or give the option to turn it off. So excuse me while I chuckle at the idea of them doing anything to punish anyone.

Ever hear a reference to the reporter who said words to the effect I can't believe Nixon won, everybody I know voted for the other guy!! Point being, just because you don't know of anyone personally who got banned, doesn't mean no one has.

I mean it's not like they could come on to the forums under their old name is it? Or re-roll and talk about it without getting re-banned. As to the people you know who got warnings, did they repeat the behavior or did they stop? If they stopped, then mission accomplished? If they didn't, perhaps the people they attacked were like you and didn't report it?

Finally, it's a moot point. Do what you want. Don't like the colors I painted my mech? Shoot me. I will report you. Rinse, repeat. The rules exist, and either PGI will enforce them or they won't.

But please examine your own internal logic. You want to shoot people for being stupid, but not have them shoot you for being stupid.

#38 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

[deleted quote]

I think it's very circumstantial. If you are close to their base, then of course start heading that way. If someone comes back to stop you from capping, then you were a distraction. If near the battle, try not to block lines of fire but advance a little ahead of the firing line so as to draw fire. Smart players will ignore you, but newbies and kill farmers will focus on you. Sure you go down in .25 seconds, but if you are killed 4 times in that quarter of a second, that's fire that didn't hit your team.

In other words, if you are alive, you should at least attempt to help. If you get shot up at your own base, start moving toward the battle/enemy base. Even if you don't make it, at least you tried and thus are not guilty of willful non-participation.

Edited by miSs, 11 November 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#39 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

ah... more tales from the front line.

Group of atlases, im guessing in a premade. Im tagging for my team when they all role up, one of them muscles my little medium out of the way. It didnt occur to this genius that tag needs LOS. Hes taller than me, and taking another los is always an option... but no. Calling card of the kingtard, ac20 hits me in the back. Ingnored. Enraged, he strikes again :D Now all the time this guy is going into spasms over me "blocking" him a never ending rain of misiles is coming down on the target. It was worth taking the hit to the back for the team.

we won. it was a GG

#40 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostBurke IV, on 11 November 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

ah... more tales from the front line.

Group of atlases, im guessing in a premade. Im tagging for my team when they all role up, one of them muscles my little medium out of the way. It didnt occur to this genius that tag needs LOS. Hes taller than me, and taking another los is always an option... but no. Calling card of the kingtard, ac20 hits me in the back. Ingnored. Enraged, he strikes again :D Now all the time this guy is going into spasms over me "blocking" him a never ending rain of misiles is coming down on the target. It was worth taking the hit to the back for the team.

we won. it was a GG

You were nicer than I would've been. I would have screenshotted and reported it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users