- - - - -

Map Strategy Guides?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Space Beer

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:23 AM

I'm new to the game and most of it is sinking in. I've searched the forum but have not found any guides on what the best strategies are for different maps.

There are a lot of posts on what not to do on certain maps which helps some. Has anyone taken the time to put together any guides on specific maps? Good places to defend/not defend? Safe versus dangerous routes?

Actually, some kind of guide that covers the basics of positioning and using the terrain would be perfect if it is out there.

Let me know if I am missing something. Thanks.

#2 Dalziel Hasek Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire, UK

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:59 AM

Successful strategy is less about map and more about communication and coordination. Map-specific guides tend to dissolve into more general dos and don't to do with choke points fighting uphill/downhill, jump-sniping and avoiding being caught in open terrain.

Choke-points. Firing lines build naturally around choke-points. A choke point will limit the space for a force to move through and should enable a defending team to build a firing line that allows them, with suitable leadership, to bring all guns to bear on a small attacking front. Enemies attempting to force the choke will be taken down quickly one at a time whilst causing minimum damage. Tactics involve waiting and letting the enemy try and force the choke, effective cycling of damaged 'Mechs from line-of-sight and flanking/disrupting the enemy firing line to allow a push to succeed.

Missile cover. Some terrain features can be used to block line-of-sight (rocks and low buildings), some can block incoming missiles (bridges) and some can block both (tunnels and tall buildings). Use this to launch attacks/snipe and avoid return fire from missiles.

Ridges and horizons. Similar to choke points except that the choke is less about barrier terrain and more about someone wanting to be the one to poke their head over a lip and it includes considerations of how easy it is to fight up or downhill (Always attack an Atlas when it is above you). Ridge-humping and jump sniping techniques apply.

Flanking routes. Some maps have well-known flanking routes away from the primary "up the middle" route. This might be used by recon assets, a flanking force or the whole enemy team from time to time. When to flank and how much force you flank with and what to do once you've flanked are all considerations.

I'm sure many units have map specific playbooks. I have written one for my unit. The basics are very simple, because the game is not that complicated.

#3 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:59 AM

View PostSpace Beer, on 08 November 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

I'm new to the game and most of it is sinking in. I've searched the forum but have not found any guides on what the best strategies are for different maps.

There are a lot of posts on what not to do on certain maps which helps some. Has anyone taken the time to put together any guides on specific maps? Good places to defend/not defend? Safe versus dangerous routes?

Actually, some kind of guide that covers the basics of positioning and using the terrain would be perfect if it is out there.

Let me know if I am missing something. Thanks.

River City- If you start from the Dropship side it will be easier to defend upper city because lower city provides a lot of cover for the enemy .
Alternativly if you start from docks its best to walk through lower city . Sometimes you can poke from citadel .

Forest Colony-both sides provide potential for ER-PPc sniping . Be careful walking down river . If you have good close combat build take the longer route around .

Alpine-If you start from higher point its ideal to go to epilson because high mountain is easier to defend .

#4 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

I think Dalziel nailed it. Every map is built with those certain features present. Look for them, and don't be afraid to suggest to your team a strategy to exploit a choke point or a good firing position. Having every one on the same page works wonders.

#5 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

I was debating making one of these. I don't have much going on this weekend, so maybe I'll tackle this.

Like others have said above, though, the majority of the strategies in this game center around working as a team. You can have a bad idea and still pull off the win if the other team is disorganized.

But there are general strategies that usually work or give an edge on each map.

Edited by Dawnstealer, 08 November 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#6 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:44 AM

Find a decent 4 man to run with on the NGNG Teamspeak and have fun. Smart players go for cover under things when LRM's start to rain, move into buildings for cover when poptarts are popping, etc.

Server: voip01.n1585.hypernia.net:9992
Password: mechwarrior

#7 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

Here are three fairly easy bits...

STAY OUT OF THE WATER! Doesn't matter which map water = no cover = death trap

The midpoint Capture location... for instance Theta in Caustic Valley and Tourmaline is a death trap. This applies equally to Assault matches. Where ever that midpoint cap location is... do not go there!

Do not be the light/medium who tries to be clever by capturing the Off-Side CAP point. For instance Canyon Network Conquest both teams should head RIGHT. Don't be the suicidal dork who charges left to try and capture the Off-Side point before the enemy gets there. You will fail and the best you can hope for is a few seconds delay vs loss of half your armor.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

*Personally loves the water on Forest Colony because it's a rarely guarded death trap. Same for Crimson Strait.*

View PostscJazz, on 08 November 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

both teams should head RIGHT.

I noticed in most maps, each team has its advantages if they go right and disadvantages if they go left. PGI seems to favor "right" in virtually every design from the mechs (everything is better on the right side of the mech, best to go right on most maps, there's a few mechs that twist more to the right than to the left, etc.)

Ever notice that?

#9 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostKoniving, on 08 November 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

I noticed in most maps, each team has its advantages if they go right and disadvantages if they go left. PGI seems to favor "right" in virtually every design from the mechs (everything is better on the right side of the mech, best to go right on most maps, there's a few mechs that twist more to the right than to the left, etc.)

Ever notice that?

Frozen City and Alpine are the only Maps where there is not a clear advantage to both teams going right.

Never noticed some mechs twisting further to the right. Which ones?

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

Hunchback 4G, two of the Awesomes. The Awesomes have had this issue for a while like since the original "uniqueness" tweak in 2012.. The 4G only started with the medium tweaks. Of course, there's denial on this much like the denial on Hunchbacks all shooting towards North.

Edited by Koniving, 08 November 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#11 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

View PostKoniving, on 08 November 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

Hunchbacks all shooting towards North.

/Troll_On
That is because the makers of the Hunchbacks all Hate! Santa, but PGI still wants presents!
/Troll_Off

Taking some free programing classes, and the more I learn, the more I am surprised that we can make computers do everything we can.
Or rather not that we can make them do it, but that there are so few bugs!

#12 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:52 PM

*Personally loves the water on Forest Colony because it's a rarely guarded death trap. Same for Crimson Strait.*

Ever notice that?

It's a PGI conspiracy against lefties. I've been sharpening my pitchfork tines for a while, now.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

Pitchforks are great. It's just a shame that they don't really do anything to bring about change. Still they're great for roasting hotdogs.

#14 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostscJazz, on 08 November 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

STAY OUT OF THE WATER! Doesn't matter which map water = no cover = death trap

^^10,000X THIS!!

One of the few times I can think of where I disagreed with you Kon. Must just be my low elo/solo pug viewpoint? But either of those maps has meant consistent team wipeouts by going water side. I can't think of a single reason to go water side and give up high ground AND cover on either of those maps.

#15 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostOldOrgandonor, on 09 November 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

^^10,000X THIS!!

One of the few times I can think of where I disagreed with you Kon. Must just be my low elo/solo pug viewpoint? But either of those maps has meant consistent team wipeouts by going water side. I can't think of a single reason to go water side and give up high ground AND cover on either of those maps.

No he is right but you have to read the ELO/Players/Movement to get it right... Perhaps I should clarify my original point... do not instantly run into the water... give the fight a few minutes to develop.

#16 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostOldOrgandonor, on 09 November 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

^^10,000X THIS!!

View PostscJazz, on 09 November 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

No he is right but you have to read the ELO/Players/Movement to get it right... Perhaps I should clarify my original point... do not instantly run into the water... give the fight a few minutes to develop.

It has been my experience (at my most likely rock bottom ELO if my W/L is anything to go by) that the water route Is a deathtrap - but it seems 50-50 as to which side it is a deathtrap for.

#17 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

Shar, that's easy, it'll be the side I'm on.

:)

I've never been on a team that's survived going water side. That's the WHOLE team btw, not counting if just one or 2 go. But if whole team goes, then yeah, it's a wipeout.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users