Remove The Gauss Charge Mechanic Or Add A Balanced Toggability

9 replies to this topic

Poll: Remove The Gauss Charge Mechanic Or Add A Balanced Toggability (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Remove it

1. Yes (13 votes [43.33%])

Percentage of vote: 43.33%

2. No (16 votes [53.33%])

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

3. Maybe (1 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

Toggability

1. Yes (8 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

2. No (18 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

3. Maybe (4 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

The gauss charge mechanic is unecessary and un-canon Gauss Rifle magazines are not susceptible to ammunition explosions. However, if the weapon itself is struck by enemy fire, the capacitors that power the electromagnets will release their stored energy and in the lore gauss rifles are always practically powered up all the time and its already charged in the other mechwarriors This means that the weapon is already charged and should not require charging

i like the new gauss rifle though the charge mechanic is a a major drawback

however there are still people who like this mechanic
so i recommend this to give candy to both sides of the crowd
if removing the charge mechanic will cause balancing wars

Toggability
self charge gives slightly faster reload rate
while
without the charge mechanic it gives it a 1-3 second addition to charge
this will help those who like the charge mechanic have gains for using extra skill
while those who don't use the charge mechanic have a gains but slower reload to balance the gauss

Edited by Cementblade, 09 November 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#2 Commissar Aku

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

Nah the charge makes it a sniper weapon. In call of duty you don't complain that the rectile for the sniper rifles is huge because you aren't using it as an assault rifle you are using it as a sniper rifle or close range nail gun, same thing with the gauss rifle, it has a purpose and it isn't like you have to watch your weapons groups to fire it the box on your rectile turns green when you can shoot it. I really like the mechanic it adds balance to an over powered weapon, I hate all this I am so noob I can't use this gun so instead of getting better and using different weapons I am going to complain until the game is lame and no one plays.

#3 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostXPH Aku, on 09 November 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

Nah the charge makes it a sniper weapon. In call of duty you don't complain that the rectile for the sniper rifles is huge because you aren't using it as an assault rifle you are using it as a sniper rifle or close range nail gun, same thing with the gauss rifle, it has a purpose and it isn't like you have to watch your weapons groups to fire it the box on your rectile turns green when you can shoot it. I really like the mechanic it adds balance to an over powered weapon, I hate all this I am so noob I can't use this gun so instead of getting better and using different weapons I am going to complain until the game is lame and no one plays.

the post you posted seems to be a troll post
the gauss charge mechanic is not canon and it is unecessary
it never was overpowered.

#4 corpse256

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 164 posts
  • LocationNebraska, USA

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostCementblade, on 09 November 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

obviously you haven't played the game when the gauss and 2 ppc victors where trolling the game.

#5 CrashieJ

• 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

remove the charge mechanic

add a delay to firing.

done.

#6 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

View Postcorpse256, on 09 November 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

obviously you haven't played the game when the gauss and 2 ppc victors where trolling the game.

that was mostly the ppcs doing the damage gauss itself was fine
and a "huge fan" would understand that there will be boating weapons
when given customizeability.

Edited by Cementblade, 09 November 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#7 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

I like the charge mechanic for the Gauss Rifle. The alternative is having them doing no damage inside of 120 meters, similar to how PPCs are, since they are supposed to have a minimum range. With the charge, you can still use them "point blank", although hitting a fast moving mech with them up close takes skill.

What I would rather see is the charge being held for a longer period of time, it's just too short the way it is now. Also, the gauss rifle should only be able to explode if it'***** while that charge is being held. In table top you could power down your gauss rifle so it wouldn't explode if it got hit. It's a catastrophic discharge of the energy stored in the capacitors that causes a gauss rifle to explode. If there is no charge being held, the capacitors wouldn't be powered up and the weapon would not explode when it got hit.

TL/DR: Keep the charge mechanic, increase the amount of time the charge can be held before firing, and remove the weapon explosion unless it's charged when hit.

#8 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

View PostCementblade, on 09 November 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

Arguing canon re: firing echanics is laughable at best. Especially after displaying a gap in knowledge of canon in the OP by implying that gauss ammo is supposed to explode, OR a lack of actual ingame knowledge of MWO implying that they DO explode here (not entirely sure how the statement was meant but boith ways are blatently false).

Who says (aside from you) that all weapons in BT don`t have the exact mechanic the gauss now has, which would make the gauss in fact the ONLY canonically correct weapon.

But of course you can see exactly when in the 10 second round the round is fired, and look into the cockpiut of a 2" high pewter miniature and see exactly which weapons the pilot is firing at what time, right?

Or do you have a written document from Jordan Weisman explicitly stating that all weapons are instant fire when triggered? Please scan and post it if so.

Your potential lesson from this: When you assume things, you make an A** out of U and ME. ;)

View Postgavilatius, on 09 November 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

remove the charge mechanic

add a delay to firing.

done.

Yes, replace ACTUAL skill timing the shot with the randomness of a .x second delay +/- lag and make this game a console-ready twitch shooter. We'll call it Mech of Duty.

Gauss is fine, takes all of 30 seconds to understand an less than 5 minutes to master. If you don`t have the energy (or mental capacity) to invest that effort, then maybe a "thinking man`s shooter" (or any competitive environmment) just isn`t the place you should be?

There`s a reason beyond insurance that the "you have to be this tall to ride" bars in amusement parks are set higher than necessary for a safe ride, maybe somebody can guess it.... ;)

Edited by Zerberus, 29 January 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#9 cranect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

There is currently, even with the mechanic, no downside to the gauss rifle other than weight. I has the 2nd most pinpoint damage and the fastest projectile speed. It has a slightly longer charge time but it is still a sniper weapon that can easily be used in a brawl. I personally think it should have been nerfed instead of the PPC, but that is my opinion.

#10 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

If anything, the PPC needs a charge mechanic while the Gauss shouldn't be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users